X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoma
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Well, I have been busy when free time allows. I have finished all my courses. Today I am attempting to cut and place my keystone. I have been adding cladding to the dome as well and should finish with that this weekend. The arch will hopefully be done today, or it will be done tomorrow. I have many photos to show, but it will wait until dome and arch are done. I ordered my flue set from FB and will add that to the oven. With that done, it will be a 1 week wait. During that time I will add the blanket for temporary use with fires for curing. Then I will inspect. If all is good, back on, and Matrilite 18 to follow.

I know I have not been missed, but that is ok

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Glad to hear its just a broken computer that has kept you from posting!

We'll all just have to be patient and wait for those pictures... (has anone got a finger tapping smiley anywhere?)

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

RC, I already have all my arch bricks cut and ready. I will finish the dome first so that I can get in there to some degree. I am looking forward to figuring out that part.

Dave, since you enjoy video tapeing, do one on getting into ovens

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Go for it Robert, it's fun working upside down isn't it In doing the vent area I'm ending up with a lot of partial bricks that I sure could have used in the last three rows. If bricks can be obtained close by close that dome Otherwise precutting the vent area is an option.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Sorry to hear about your computer.

But sounds like you are doing great work as usual.

Can't wait to see the pics!

Hang in there, you are getting really close!!

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Hello everyone. A family member accidentally dropped our laptop computer (only sourse to internet) and broke it Luckily I have it under warranty so I should be getting it back in a week or so.

As for the oven, I have finished the 9th course. I need to clean it. The area at the arch was so hard to bring into reality with the rest. I will be doing the last of grinding to get it matched completely with the rest. I will then take some photos.

As for the rest of the courses, my wet saw blade is dead, must be replaced. I believe that I will be able to get the rest of the courses done over the next week and a half. Each completion will get photo ops. I will not be able to post any photos until the computer comes home, sadly...

On my 9th course I decided to bring in the quantity of bricks from 35 to 24 by over lapping every other brick when I could. No bricks align with ones below, sometimes they are within an inch. The way I see that is that as you get up there in courses they are tighter anyways, with less downward pressure. I am quite satisfied with the look too. I have to lean in through the arch now to see some details. I believe I will do 24 for this next course, then drop the quantity again if possible for the final couple.

With the tent frame above the dome, it sucks to lean in and work. I keep contouring my body to work on bricks. They fit fine, it is my body that get super close.

Boy was my guess at quantity of bricks to buy perfect. I believe I have the amount needed. If not, a few more is fine, and I will buy those in town for a lot more than these others.

Sadly, I will be out of the loop more frequently while I work, wait for the laptop to be repaired, and sprint to the finish line with the bricks.

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

Adorable - both your daughters are!
    As for the oven, she's looking good too! I'm looking forward to seeing you close it up and drop that keystone in - you'll probably be baking before I get mine unburied again.

Sarah

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

She's a sweety! I just hope she didn't think she was auditioning for Hansel and Gretel or anything... no no, she doesn't look as if she did.

That photo is really really lovely, thank you for posting it!

How's the oven progressing this weekend? Too busy to tell us, or stuck for some reason?

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Your daughter's picture is gorgeous!!!! You keep your WFO clean enough for her to play in, sorry to be me.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

The FB database had kicked me mesages of error, to refresh. Sorry for the duplicated photos.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

The photos did not get accepted on the last thread. Hopefully this time the database bites.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Well, I have decided that the oven is tall enough to fit my little girl. She wasn't sure why she was in there, but all was good as she enjoyed the scenery.

I grinded course 8. Now I have a complete inner top brick circle at 21.75 inches from center. the top area above the arch still has a minor dip of 1" from across the way. No big, that will get adjusted with the next course. I realize I will not be able to sit inside the oven and grind any more because of the tents framing above. This made having the circle being perfect that much more important. If I have to do any more grinding, it will be leaning over

I have committed the last couple courses to .50 lift in the back, and it appears to be working. One course I angled the face, then next I did not. Course 8 had most areas leaning into a 21.5 distance, so I grinded the upper bricks of those to create a lesser angle to the brick for the next course. I will find out on 9.

I want to center the bricks but like I stated before, I may deviate from that for a course to bring the quantity down, I am not sure.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

That arch area is fun, keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

5/8" Les? It is going to be great theater next spring watching you make and place those cut bricks.
    George

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    I feel like the snail compared to a few supersonic builders lately, but slow and consistant will be my motto.
    Every oven is different, that's one of the things that's so cool about them. And every builder has his or her own pace any style.

Its fun watching your oven take shape, especially because you seem to be enjoying it so much (frozen fingers and all ) and you're such a thoughtful and carefull builder.

So good motto, keep going!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X