• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    My 12th course has a photo of the bricks with the insane angles to make them fit. I could not believe how radical they had to be. This is for Les, and why I think he should re-evaluate going smaller and smaller to the end. You can see I overlapped some bricks when it felt safe.

As for measurements, 12 is 75 degrees with 20.75" from center.

Hi Robert - just read through your post and noticed this. Yea, I know it's going to get quite crazy - I still have the option of taking the path of least resistance. My plan is to resume work in about 4 weeks - we'll see what happens.

BTW, Nice job on your oven, and it looks like the promise to your daughter will be met - awesome. Still can't believe you went out and worked in the crappy weather we had.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Dave, I am going insane thinking about firing up now. I know if I rush to finish, I will pay the price somehow.
    Robert, be patient, you'll be cooking in no time at all. I'm delayed starting the fires a couple of days because of this rain but I'm thinking what I could cook in the lower temps. I wanted the first cook to be a margherita pie, but I'm tempted to do some roasts
    The oven won't be finished, right, so that won't count, right??????????

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

I know if I rush to finish, I will pay the price somehow.
    It's worth going slow. :-)

Take your time and plan on cooking a series of fun, lower heat meals. Chicken, Tuscan grill, fish, bread, focaccia -- use different pans and have fun. Just don't get tempted and keep adding that extra log and turning up the heat! I've been there.
    James

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Dave, I am going insane thinking about firing up now. I know if I rush to finish, I will pay the price somehow.
    Take your time with curing. I rushed mine a bit.

I hope you never here the pinging of bricks cracking.....
    I remember the sound all to well.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Dino, my landing is 16 inches from entry to dome floor, where the dome wall inside corner exist. I have a two inch section for future door, leaving entry area at 14 inches.

As for the angle of the arch, that was originally from JC Jim. My finished will likely look a little different. I will be worrying about pizza sets, peel lengths for access to the oven once the arch is done. I have a 10" platform in addition to the 16" to the oven floor. That part was part of the concept Les had going. I hope this helps you.

As for my internal height, the keystone to center floor stayed at 20.75. Not bad for going back to my 4-6 courses of 1 1/8 inch lift in backs, to .5 lifts. I did have a couple courses where I shaved the face .75.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

As Paris Hilton would say: "That's Hot!"

Those pics of the inside of your dome are beautiful! When I start cutting my bricks I'm hoping the concept of beveling cuts will somehow come to me.

Say, looking at the pic of your arch wall, how deep or how many blocks is your arch landing? I'm drawing my oven footprint now on autocad and noticed you cut an angle on the bricks at the front. Is this for a more "pleasant" entry or will it help poking around a long handled pizza peel?

Thanks and great work, very inspiring!
    Dino

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

It looks pretty clean to me Robert. Far better than mine was!

I have spots here and there, but they are actually kind of cool. They start glowing before the bricks do. A nice sign that pizza temps are approaching fast!

Great job Robert. I can see how hard you worked to build a clean beautiful dome.
    I think you can now say "Mission Accomplished!"

Now get that arch built.

I'm ready to see a fire, and food!!

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Thank you so much. RT, it is nice to get feedback from you as well. It has been a while.

As for the arch, I will likely not have the same look as JC Jim has. That was the look I wanted, but feel that it will take on its own character. I will be grinding areas of the top wall that meets the first arch bricks to bring as best as possible a smooth transition. My goal is to photograph the daily actions so that you can see the efforts. This is the home stretch for the oven.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

I'm glad to see you closed it in, it looks great. tackle that arch and vent now

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Congratulations! That's a really nice dome you built there, and the keystone looks wonderful, too. What's not great about it? That's as fine a keystone as I've ever seen on this forum.

Well done Acoma!

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Nice job Robert. I think it looks great! You got it done man! It looks great! Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Robert, looks great!!! Clean as any I've seen. You've been a real trooper continuing your build through the nasty weather. It's the home stretch, time to get your second wind.......the finest pizza your family has ever had is not far off. did I mention, it looks GREAT?

RT

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Question, does the oven look clean? I attempted to keep the inside clean as I went, and worked to keep the gaps to a minimum, as well as clean mortarted areas. I just want to know what you think?

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Well, I forgot to get distance from keystone to center floor. I will do that soon. Here is the keystone shot. I know it is not that great looking, but I was happy it was over. This winter was tough work with the building in the tent. I am so excited to remove it.

I also have a photo of the arch area. I figure I will show progress photos of the arch to its completion. It looks raw for the moment, but progress will improve the look.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Beautiful work, Robert! Can't wait to see the keystone.

Ken

Leave a comment:

Working...
X