X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asudavew
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

I've been enjoying watching your progress.
    And I agree with Jim.
    You are really taking your time and doing an outstanding job.
    I wish I would of waited and bought the HF saw, and really took my time.

I may be up for a redo this summer.

Keep posting! I'm reliving the experience through you!!

Great work so far.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Thanks Frances. It is great to know that a few of you are observing the progress, and are contributing your views. I am curious as to why some of the other veterans to the forum have been quiet recently? Knowing that one is not alone while working through the cold snowy, rainy winter, but has others contributing to the process truly helps with motivation.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

OK, I just saw the pics...

Its looking really good, beautifull work!

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Yep, building the dome is fun! And a really intense experience! Sounds as if you're enjoying it Acoma.

...So how about a few pictures?

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

...and the gaps underneath the new row get larger and larger against the previous.

Fun, huh? Enjoy your sore hands. They will heal quickly. These few days will be but a memory before you know it.

Hang in there Rob.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Today I finished 17 of the 29 pieces needed to completed course 6. The angle of 6 is really showing off the dome as well. I still have 12 bricks to modify angles with. I will attempt to get 6 of the 12 done tomorrow evening, and hopefully, to finish 6 Tuesday evening.

With the 5th course behind me, and the experience of tying into the arch, I feel great about the 6th course tying in. I also don't have to deal with as many angles to make that happen which is nice.

My fingers feel raw after many days, evenings with no break. I thought 6 would be done, but we woke up to 5 inches of snow, strong winds, and modified cuts to be done outside with the wet saw.

I notice that each course requires a more agressive beveled angle from top to bottom with each brick. Also, the inside dome face of the bricks are getting tighter, not as wide due to the courses moving inward. Boy the lessons of each course amazes me. We learn with each course, each brick, each step.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

RC, and others that are to do the tie in of the dome bricks to arch. I did my first ones today. I found it time consuming for these bricks becuse they were not merely straignt cuts, angled, to tie in the two parts. The next will likely be easier though.

For this course 5 brick tie in, I started with foam blocks from an art store with the same dimensions as the fire bricks. Then I shaved the foam to desired shape. Once this was done, I mirrored the foam bricks to that of the fire brick as best as possible. I used the wet saw for bigger cuts, then shifted to detailed cuts, and the fine tuning using the grinder.

I plan to do half of course 6 this afternoon. Hopefully that gets accomplished, then I will finish 6 tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

RC, how was tying in the bricks to the arch on 5 for you? I have one brick left per side to tie in and I am nervous. Then on to 6. BTY, it is truly coming together This hard, cold, exhausting work is starting to show in great ways

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Thanks for the picture, I may give it a shot on a brick. To date I've been tapering each side and beveling only one side with a grinder. Now that I had to get a new saw, I'm hoping to follow Jim's guide. Need to set it up to play with it next.
    Haven't lost any time this week due to the saw though. We're still in the 30s with drizzles. That is suppose to change come tomorrow so on to course 6.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied
    Re: Acoma 44" Tuscan

I must admit that my oven had been planned for 42, but I then expanded to 44". With the decision to go up to two courses then in, this had my top edge of course 2 at 23+ inches from center. Course 3 brought it to 23. Course 4 to 22.5, and course 5 to 22.

I figure that I should be to 20" by completion of course 7 or 8. From there I will be ok.

This makes it hard to enjoy the use of Jim's tool that I received a little while back. I hope you are ok with that Jim? Does it still look good?

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Looking really good Robert. Keep up the great work!
    George

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I have not quite completed course 5. I only have 7-10 bricks remaining. The reason for the photo of this course now is because I might as well do it if I am doing a photo of a brick.

I ask for forgiveness

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

RC, here is the photo of the brick. You can see the tapering of the brick to the front, which is for the inside of the dome face.

The left side is beveled from inside a little to outside edge.

The right side is beveled from inside top to edge of bottom.

This gives me the continuous snug fit all around the dome with little gap on inside faces as shown in my next post/ photos.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Thanks Jim. That allows me to keep the momentum of each course.

I am excited to share a couple photos of course 5, likely first thing Saturday, since I will not be done with 5 until late Friday evening.
    Just give it up Robert!

I'm itching to see

!!!!

so far so good my friend

keep it up
    !!

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Thanks Jim. That allows me to keep the momentum of each course.

I am excited to share a couple photos of course 5, likely first thing Saturday, since I will not be done with 5 until late Friday evening.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X