X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoma
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

George, the gloves are a hastle. I can feel the bricks and mortar placements better. Also for the cleaning of bricks as I go.

RC, for now I will not bevel the bottoms as I attempt to keep full thickness throughout. As for the sides, I only cut one, keeping some gap for bonding with mortar.

Each course for now is 27 bricks. I finished 15 of the 27 today. I am going to attempt to finish the 4th over the next couple days. I will then get my angle grinder and clean up the areas that stick out, vent area, or the bricks that are not showing round shape at the arch where it meets the dome wall. Probably a day of this will have me in great shape for course 5.

I would say that after course 5 everyone will see the true angle of the dome come into play. I just like the wall going straight for the first 2 courses, providing a grand view from the arch opening.

Next photo to come upon completion of course 4.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Robert,
    As you start reducing the distance to the center you will appreciate the angles and bevels calculations that Jim has so graciously offered. I'm assuming you have the 10" wet saw, that is what I remember. the bevel angle cut will be a God send. So far the tapering hasn't been an issue with my small saw, but I imagine I'll use at least 150 pounds of Heat Stop. That reminds me I need to go to Dallas shopping after the next two courses! I think my blanket will be in then.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

[QUOTE=Acoma;22693] If not, I will still be very happy, remembering this hard work and my raw hands.
    QUOTE]

Did you forget your gloves? Cardinal rule broken???

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Jim, I went straight with the first 2 only. The 3rd s angled slightly, with the 4th now to have a more radical angle to get me to a 20" top.

I am doing so much free hand with arch and dome right now. I used the tool to get the perfect circle, but my use will be limited until likely the 7th course, being that I am bringing the dome in to the 20.

I have to grind some areas of the arch to keep a nice look, and hopefully it compares to some of the greats here. If not, I will still be very happy, remembering this hard work and my raw hands.

Due to my desire to keep full siza bricks (1/2's) instead of tapering as long as possible, I am using my share of mortar as you would guess. James will be happy

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Robert,

All is looking great! And huge! Going up three courses without much move toward center is really making it look spacious. Or am I just imagining that?

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

As I discussed with James, I have decided to work on removing the lower lip of the arch due to lack of proper planning on height for the arch. I believe it will still look great once complete.

As for the dome, I have the 3rd course complete, with the 4th course cut. Tomorrow I will mortar the 4th course, then I will take a brief break with more potential weather on its way, and Sunday's committed to the children.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Excellent work, Robert! Looks great.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Great to finally see pictures, I look forward to following your progress.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

James, the front of the entry will be flared, very similar to JC Jim. Going straight across would not work. Based on your talk of the soot, it sounds ok to just cut the arch lip area and leave the wall lip alone. This will allow for a door to function, and I believe the look will still be very nice, being that the flared front will command the attention, not the back lip on the arch.

I am going to do my best to have the forth course done Saturday. I had gone straight up on the first two courses, then started angling the bricks as of the 3rd. Going to angle really uses up mortar and clean up time. I have been cleaning every brick as I go, and by doing it this way, I do not have to re-address it later. I am excited by the way it is coming together, and thanks for the input.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Don't forget that the top of the arch into the oven chamber is going to be covered with soot -- and somewhat hidden behind your decorative arch that forms the vent landing area.

What about cutting back to be level (to the ground) with the arch into the oven? A mix of form (it will look right) and function (it will be high enough for your huge turkey).

I really think this will be fine.
    James

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I wish I was able to snowboard. I have been teaching my older daughter to ski, so the snowboard waits for now. We had over two inches of rain the day before, then it turned to snow.

Summer in Australia will end soon.....we will regain the warmth

James, I have not done it yet, but have decided to cut out the bottom lip of the arch area where that 1in. hangs down. This would give me the 12inches. The wall pop out stays of course. It wouldn't look wierd would it? If I was to keep the lip I have 11 inches at peak, and it just seems as though it would be low. Any further input on that? I cut the last two pieces without the lip, mortared one of them, but I have two spares with lips. I could remove the one without the lip, but I am just not sure about which direction.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Great photos. I guess Pacific storms that drop rain on the coast bring some serious snow in the hills. How was the snowboarding?

One funny thing. When I first saw your photos, the blue background made me think Australia -- those lucky folks with summer sky. Then, when I clicked on the picture; there was your blue tarp. Excellent.

I agree on keeping the arch. The height will be fine, and it is definitely not worth a re-do. I've never met a turkey that is 12" high lying on its back. :-)

Keep up the great work -- your brickwork looks great.

James
    Last edited by james; 01-18-2008, 12:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Enjoy the winter fun, snow in the doorway and wet kitchen floors. At least you're smiling!

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I have a plan, it changed, again it changed. Sound familiar? I took photos of the oven for 2nd course with 1/3 of course 3.

Tomorrow you will see photos of course 3 complete.

I also thought it would be nice to share photos of the recent storm and some fun we had as well.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Gotta love that dome archway transition, huh? Enjoy the sleep loss Rob. What a great puzzle!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X