X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoma
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

I have cut 40 bricks and have 40 more to do for the evening. These are for the floor, entry, arch area. I have cut clean edges to all four sides, being that these are 2nd's. My goal is to have all 150 w/ clean edges by end of weekend.
    My insulation board arrived today, and the board will stay in the box until template and bricks are cut to shape. No need to damage anything by rushing to the finish line.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Ken, I will get bigger wheels as you suggested.
    Jim, the towel idea is good, I was thinking about that too.
    I will apply these ideas as well.

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Not a pretty solution but one great addition to my wet saw when the weather forced me inside, was a beachtowel draped over a 5 foot pole and front of the saw (and clamped with a small clamps at all points). The back of the towel is "V"ed to place it in a plastic storage container (2'x3'). This completely contained the annoying mist from the cars and my lungs and placed it in the container , which I periodically emptied back into the tray of the saw to keep the pump running.

I tried other materials, including a plastic tarp, and the aformentioned storage container, but nothing seemed to stop the mist completely like the towel

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Sounds like a plan!
    Oh... put bigger wheels on your saw stand than I did. The casters I used are too small and it's a pain to move it around.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Ken, I am going to build a wood stand too for my wet saw.
    In order of priority:
    1st: Build Stand for wet saw and get set up..
    2nd: Best bricks for floor and entry, shaped and cleaned.
    3rd: Template for floor area
    4th: Cut floor bricks
    5th: Template for dome and arch
    6th: Cut solder and arch bricks

Once done with list above, I will start the vertical. If you feel a step should be done inbetween, let me know.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Of course there will be progress shown. Lastly, my IQ went up, I can now do thumbnails.
    Congrats!!!

It's great watching your progress.
    Keep up the good work!
    Your stand looks great.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Thanks Jim and Les. Perfect information. This will go very slow. I am attempting to pick up material today to make a template, then to mark the dome, entry, and floor shape. Then to cut the floor bricks and the insulation board. Lots to do before going vertical. Also, because of winter, I will need to create some space in the garage for this work. Of course there will be progress shown. Lastly, my IQ went up, I can now do thumbnails.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Robert,

Cutting the board is like cutting sawdust - no resistance whatsoever. I used a saws-all with a 10 in. wood blade. It is messy, and DO wear a mask.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Can't help you on the insulation board because I didn't use it, but on the floor, I layed out a herringbone pattern on a level surface, then drew the circle for the floor and rectangle for the entry way with permanent marker. Then cut the curves using a 10" wetsaw from HFTools. Cutting an outside curve is as easy as cutting a straight line close to the curve line (to prevent binding on the curved cut) and then making a second cut following the curve with the blade . On an inside curve such as the one where the entry way meets the circle of the dome, you need to mark the cut on both sides of the brick. Cut the first side flip over and cut the second, when you flip the brick after the first cut you understand why it is necessary to cut both sides, then clean up with hand grinder.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

OK, I need to know how those of you cutting the floor bricks and insulation board are doing it? I am guessing you are using the wet saw to create the floor shape, but what about the insulation board? What is being used to cut it. To understand my question see the following:

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Thanks Wade.

Leave a comment:

• wlively
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Wade, what about the thermocouples I linked? Are those solid choices for longevity?
    The thermocouples you linked would be fine to use. They are grounded thermocouples, which means the bead junction is welded to the stainless steel sheath. Therefore, you need to keep in mind that the sheath is electrically part of the circuit. So to use these you will want to make sure to both thermally and electrically insulate the entire sheath. As long as you do that they will be OK.

Looks like you will need connectors, so if you choose the combo gun I posted you will need these connectors; SMP-K-M

Sorry it took so long, I was reading the PM and then had to finish making the kids their favorite homemade blueberry oatmeal.
    Last edited by wlively; 12-01-2007, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Wade, what about the thermocouples I linked? Are those solid choices for longevity?

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post

I'm glad you got your bricks.

Post some pics of em.

I saw them... He did good!

Leave a comment:

• wlively
    replied

K-type are much more available because of their wider use. More widely used because of a wider temp measurement window.

For those wanting to use thermocouples here is a good IR gun that can also be used as a meter to read K-type thermocouples.
    Low Cost Infrared Thermometer with Adjustable Emissivity

Leave a comment:

Working...
X