• RCLake
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Glad to see the oven closing up, you're almost there. great job

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

All the math is lost on me, but ... looking good!
    Robert, congratulations - and to have done it during the winter too - WOW - well done!

Sarah

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Pre Keystone photos. I did not get to take a photo of the keystone, my wife and daughters had the camera at the time and were taking photos of birds at the park. The keystone was nuts to do. Here is the inside shot of where it will go.

As for measurements, I will get the distance from keystone to center when I get the photo of the inside shot of the keystone. I have a top view of this as well, but for some reason the MB was a hair too much. Go to my Picasa and you should see it there.
    Last edited by Acoma; 03-02-2008, 01:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

My 12th course has a photo of the bricks with the insane angles to make them fit. I could not believe how radical they had to be. This is for Les, and why I think he should re-evaluate going smaller and smaller to the end. You can see I overlapped some bricks when it felt safe.

As for measurements, 12 is 75 degrees with 20.75" from center.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Here is my 11th course. This course has an angle of 73 degrees and is 20.75" from center.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Here is my 10th course. This one is 69 degree angle with 21" from center.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Here are photos of my 9th course. I will do a post per course to compliment my previous photos per post.

As for measurements, this course is 65 degree angle with 21.50" from center.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Thanks for the replies. Today looks to be just the additional arch wall support for the first arch bricks. I think it wise to do those first bricks Tuesday evening, with two more each day until done. Serious, what a pain to do this front part of the arch. Well, it must be done, and I am scared of what it may look like.

I will start adding photos now of what has been done, minus the keystone from inside. That photo has not been taken yet.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Acoma, nice to have you posting again!

One thing to bare in mind: you can already start baking small bread rolls (or similar) during the curing fires if you have the ingredients to hand... makes it a bit less of a wait until you get to pizza heat.

Congratulations on the keystone! I look forward to the photos!

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Robert, I said those last rows were going to real fun. i'm glad they are over for you and you are finishing up the arch. Won't be long now

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

[QUOTE=Acoma;25439] Les, I say that you may want to overlap pieces towards the top courses to bring down the quantity, since it will be psychotic to go with mini pieces. I am not kidding, it would be nuts.
    QUOTE]

I figured that would be the case. Sooner or later, the bricks become infintesimally small if you try to use the same number for each row. Kind of like the half-life of C-14. Half goes away every year. Sure, it's still present after 75 million years, but there's not much left at the end.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Well, the keystone was ok, not great. It worked, so I am happy. I need a photo of the completed inside.

As for the arch, what a bit$%. I have my wall, but the first brick of the arch does not have enough area for mortar to connect between arch and wall, so it keeps disconnecting. I was going to add the top wall angle piece after the arch was done, but I believe this must be done first so that there is enough surface area to bond the mortar to the wall and arch. I tried 4 times without success, so doing the extra wall brick with angle is the idea for morning. I may need to do one brick per side (if this works) per day, leading me to 4 days of arch detail.

I will start applying the blanket with temporary placement in mind. This will be for the dome. Damn arch...sorry.

Well, once the arch is done, I can get my (delivered today ) flue put up. Once that is done.....I can get to my 1 week countdown. I will get photos up tomorrow as promised.

I am happy that I was able to fly through the remaining courses, but that last course before the keystone had some crazy angles. I wondered at times if there would be any top to them. Les, I say that you may want to overlap pieces towards the top courses to bring down the quantity, since it will be psychotic to go with mini pieces. I am not kidding, it would be nuts.

Right now I am getting VERY ancy to start pizzas. I want to rush to completion, but I must practice what I preach.....patient and with quality to the best of my ability..

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

You're at the keystone?? Congratulations!!!
    I hope you were able to complete the arch today but whether it's yes or no, it must feel good to be either done, or this close to it.
    Get those pics posted!

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Did you find some Matrilite 18?

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some.

Can't wait to see the pics!

How did your keystone turn out?

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Welcome back. Can't wait to see the pics.

dusty

Leave a comment:

Working...
X