X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoma
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

RT, I was checking out your oven with the chimney section. My question is how you bonded yours to the vent, arch? Yours is not framed, and it appears that you did not create a level top, so what is your success? Please explain.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I finished the chimney base bricks. I will wait a few days, then I will grind it level, and drill holes for the screws CJim mentioned, which will hold down the base plate.

The first and second photos are of the first base set, the next two of the completed base.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Thanks Jim, that's what I thought you meant.

I plan to do the mortaring of the upper base bricks first, give them a couple days to cure, then drill the holes for the screws so that I can put the plate on. Sound right to you?

I will post a photo today of where I am at. The base has been therapeutic compared to the arch and dome.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

Acoma,

Ooops, need to be more specific, again, so, no, you don't sound stupid at all. I was referring to the outide perimeter of the anchor plate, where the four sides of the square meet the brick. Compressing the Insulfrax slightly with the screws will give you a good smoke/heat shield (although this is not an area where there's a lot of leakage risk once the draft gets going). The bead of mortar around the perimeter is a bit of insurance, but if it does crack over time, you still have the batt material above it, then a castable insulator over that. I've found this type of multilayered approach works well. It's a small area, so it's quick and easy to do.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Jim, I know I sound stupid, but the joints being what area specifically? I will go with the details you mentioned as well, thank you.

I finished the lower base briccks today. Now for tomorrow morning to attempt the upper base bricks.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

Ken,

Here's how I do it at least. Use four 1" tapcons to secure the plate; drill pilot holes into the brick with a hammer drill with the bit supplied. Tear off thin strips of Insulfrax or similar to put between the plate and the brick. Screw the tapcons down just a little less then snug, and certainly not tight. This will allow for a bit of differential expansion. Coat the outside of the joints with Refmix or similar, then cover with batt material and vermic/Portland or similar.

Don't want the join to be too rigid. Sealed, yes, rigid, no.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I cut the lower chimney base bricks, and will mortar them later. I will do the upper base bricks tomorrow. I am curious, the base plate says to get mason screws and screw into the bricks, and to use high temp bonding material. Ken, James, etc....did you guys use screws with yours? Can I also use the Refmix to bond the plate?

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

JC, sent to your email.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Yes, my older daughter's native name is Guitzatuni, and my little one is going to get here name. The elders get together and the name is given. The way my older got hers is that her grandmother had it. Some people have a few native names. Here grandmother had one but it was special to her because her grandmother had it. Once my daughter got the name passed to her, her grandmother now is call "generic". Funny huh? Well, we will see what the little one is called soon. Also, if you look up the city of Acoma, you will find the oldest functioning church in the U.S. there. They hadn't done baptisms for 10+ years before my older daughter was born. I had to petition the Catholic church to allow her to be baptised there on Christmas Eve when she was 1. She is now going on 6, and still noone else has been baptised there since her. I am going to petition to have my other one baptised there as well. It is very emotional and eventful to have it done there. Very spiritual time and place.

JC, to answer you about day jobs, I had decided to work part time for now as my wife going to school right now. I used to be what one calls, a top sales performer for Centex in the Reno region. We don't believe in daycare so we alternate school, oven, work for the little one. She starts school in a year. Generic, I mean their grandmother retires in June and says she will watch them when we both work full time again. I will email you my resume so that you can see what I have done. I believe you will be impressed, well, maybe.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Acoma, I never realised your forum name was more than just a name...

I'm afraid Native American history didn't feature much in my history classes (as Swiss history probably didn't in yours).

The idea with the bears is way cool, I'll bet your daughters will be really pleased!

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Robert,
    I agree too. You're probably good to go the way your vent is. Don't second guess yourself without reason.

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Robert,
    What wonderful progress you have made, last I had looked you had signed off after a mishap with your laptop. It must have been a sprint since then. Did you quit you day job?

Any thoughts on an enclosure? I am looking at options.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Robert , I think you will be fine with that opening. What and see before changing anything. I'm having good results and I won't have the ratio you have.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Thank you Ken. the vent stays put for now. On to the chimney base tomorrow, with plans for chimney and cap on Thursday. Wow, this would be the signal of a 1-week wait. I will have to start getting the blanket on, and order some wood......

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Ken, I know your vent depth is only 5". Should I go from the bottom of the right side to the top of the left for the right side of the vent, then repeat it for the left side of the vent brick? Somewhat similar to Ken's.
    Robert,

Quite honestly, I wouldn't change a thing! Your vent opening will work nicely. The geometry is actually very similar to mine and I have more than adequate draw. The smoke will figure out exactly where it needs to go .

Another reason not to grind: you will induce unnecessary vibrations throughout your freshly built arch. I think your joints need to rest and cure for a few days.

Like Dusty said, if there is a problem, you can grind later; but I doubt you will need to.

Looks FAB... The bear idea is really neat!
    Ken

Leave a comment:

Working...
X