• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xabia Jim
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Acoma

I don't think you can ever wait too long to begin curing and should always err by waiting if you can stand it.

Concrete cures, it does not dry. Always try and keep new masonry in a damp state. An electrician I used here said that concrete blocks continue to harden for years (he broke two chisels in one day on our house).

So there is an asymtotic curve for curing cement/concrete and every day you wait allows it to cure more.

We oven builders are always in such a hurry to eat!

It will be pizza time soon enough.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

3-1: Finished the dome
    3-4: Finished the arch
    3-6: Finished the chimney
    3-11: Finished the chimney base

All above with mortar. My question is that since my dome, arch, and chimney will all have been completed for over a week, with only the chimney base being the exception. Is it a bad idea to start curing Sunday at 200 degrees for the day if the chimney cap area has only cured for 5 days with that temp? Monday being the 6th day with a cure temp all day of 300, etc...
    What do you think? I want to know if the oven temps during curing at this low temp creates warming of the arch and chimney bricks? If not, then I would think its ok to start Sunday? Am I wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Michael, I used the firebricks for everything. I bought 300, and used all of them. I had 12 that were unusable, but the rest worked great. For me, I was able to buy 2nd's from a wholeseller at a great cost, for you in Texas, you may want to connect with your fellow Texans, RC, Dave, etc to get the lowdown on brick suppliers with best value. I would be concerned about cracking if Mortar and bricks are not high heat tolerant, this is why I went with the Refmix mortar as well. It cost me plenty, but my sanity equals out. What size are you thinking? Start planning your sources for supplies (base wall, hearth, bricks, etc). We will easily walk you through it all should you ever become concerned.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

I'm so glad, enjoy your children during their youth, , you will be surprised when they are in there 20s - it happens so fast.

Leave a comment:

• thebadger
    replied

Acoma,

Your girls are precious. I have 3 "monkey boys" 6, 4 eom and 15 months. My wife is a saint putting up with my obsession and letting me work on the oven...

Your oven is looking GREAT - Can't wait to see the finishe product.

Dick

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

RC, 8" round by 36" height. I do like to watch my mortar cure Let's me feel, I repeat, feel the bonding of brick and mortar Like husband and wife Anyways, I have completely cleaned my site of junk, and have decided to remove my tent tomorrow morning, with photo for the family (FB).

And now...............3.12.08 is B-DAY for my precious Sophia, whom turns 2! I feel so proud having these 2 girls! My older daughter and I will use the tent as a spring greenhouse for our garden this year. She will be the leader of prep, and I will be the laborer.

I don't know if any of you share this thought, but I miss the thoughts and advice of UNO. He was so cool and has disappeared. I wish he could see my accomplishments as well as all of you (my extended family).

Leave a comment:

• beaglestorm
    replied

This is my first post after lurking around here for a few weeks. With daylight saving time starting, I now have time after work to begin planning and building my oven. I just want to say thanks for all the endless encouragement, support and most importantly patience everyone here seems to have. On to my question?

Is your vent and arches made of the same Firebrick as the dome?

I think it looks nice if they are the same material, but the material list in the plans says to use regular clay brick. Would that recommendation be to save money or to prevent the arch/entry from heating up too much during operation? I would think that there is a better chance of cracking if you use dissimilar materials. So I guess my question really is, can I just use firebrick to build the entire structure?

Thanks,

Michael
    El Paso, TX

Leave a comment:

• BaconGrease
    replied

tapered arch looks really nice

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Looks great! I can't wait to see you fire this one up!

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

You love watching mortar dry for seven days, next Monday will arrive though. What size chimney pipe did you go with 8" by 36"?
    Nice job Acoma

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Noticed the mortart for the chimney base drying to quickly, creating some cracks. Moistened the area and the cracks are gone. Seems I will babysit that for the next couple hours.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I tried for the best angles to photograph the blanket and chimney base. I will remove the tent in a few days, and will submit better photos thereafter.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I finished the Chimney base this morning. I also placed two rolls worth of blanket on the dome, and up the arch wall. Now I will wait until next Monday AM to start curing.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

George, mine is set up for the 12sq. base plate. I am fine, but I want to know what RT did because if you look at his build he did used the same chimney without the base, I think. I am going with CJims idea.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Robert,
    Aren't you using a Duravent chimney? The anchor plate base is 12 X12 inches for the *" chimney. Is that going to work with your current setup?
    G.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X