• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jcg31
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Here are the other 4 picturese.

Jim, course 6 is now 22.25 from center. The angle is 45 degrees. What is your idea on lift in back to get me to 20? Is it possible, or do I need to shave some top of the inside top for course 7? Hope you understand that part.
    Robert,

I hope you were wearing a mask of some sort for all that grinding.

I am attaching two possible solutions. The first will work with the grinding of course six that you did. Check the measurements I have included from top inside edge of 6 to pivot at 22.25", direct to floor (not to pivot) of 14.3" and from center of floor to inside face of c1 at 21" and if they agree with actuals, a gap of .45" between courses will get you to 20". Make sure I have represented your grind on c6 correctly. If any of the measurements outlined above don't agree with real world, tell me which one and I will fire off new drawings.

Sorry for the second because it would require the removal of course 6 but provides for a better transition between courses resulting in a smoother inner dome. Once C6 is removed the gap would be .58" between courses.

Hope this helps.

Jim
    Last edited by jcg31; 02-07-2008, 06:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Wow. That is all I can say.

I've been a member here 2 years now almost to the day. The last 6-8 months here have been incredible - all of you just keep continually raising the bar.

Even though my oven is finished I keep coming back to see who's doing what.

I think the really neat thing about this - is that some of you are really artisans with your brick work, some of us are more diy folks and have some rough edges - but at the end of the day we are gonna make some really good pizzas!!!

Christo

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

I never actually measured mine after....

Maybe I should do so!

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

I concur as well. I went for a half sphere and ended up a half an inch too high. I was estatic.

G.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
    I guess Robert and I have been shooting for 20", that's the measurement desribed in the e-book. I guess I do read instructions now and then. Probably won't make a difference at either height.
    I was shooting for the perfect half sphere. Seemed to make sense in regard to reflecting the heat back to the floor. I think you are right, what's one inch between pizza's.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Robert,
    I'm glad you're back on track, I was thinking you could continue with a lesser gap and hit you're goal. Onward and upward!

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Robert ? out of curiosity, if you?re building a 42 inch oven, why did you want a dome height of 20 inches? Seems to me that 21 would be ideal.

Les?
    I guess Robert and I have been shooting for 20", that's the measurement desribed in the e-book. I guess I do read instructions now and then. Probably won't make a difference at either height.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Les, from the readings I believe that 20 is optimal for pizzas. It is also a balance of height for varying foods. No other reason, and it will be 20" after I fixed my issues with my previous angle on 6. As for my new calculations, with a slight correction if needed, I will do .50 on lift for the back of the bricks. Doing this will give me the following:

C7- 22"
    C8- 21.5"
    C9- 21.25"
    C10- 20.80"
    C11- 20.5"
    C12-20.20"
    C13- 20"

This is verified using a template I created on art sheet, to be transfered to harder template for oven site.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Robert ? out of curiosity, if you?re building a 42 inch oven, why did you want a dome height of 20 inches? Seems to me that 21 would be ideal.

Les?

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Here are the other 4 picturese.

Jim, course 6 is now 22.25 from center. The angle is 45 degrees. What is your idea on lift in back to get me to 20? Is it possible, or do I need to shave some top of the inside top for course 7? Hope you understand that part.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Because I cannot put 8 pictures on one post, I will do 4 per. I have cleaned up the bricks, modified to my desire, and now will detail for Jim in the next post the measurements.

I just noticed the 1st and 2nd pictures should not be in here, they were before I did the modification to 6. Sorry.
    Last edited by Acoma; 02-06-2008, 12:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

Take heart, Robert. I was just looking at your photos - your work is great and these things don't change that. The things that seem like big problems at this point in the process kind of fade into the woodwork once you get to the cooking phase - all will be well!

Sarah

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Anything you need, just say the word.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Change in plans. I attempted to remove a brick by grinding the back side of the mortar at one location. Tough as it can get! I stopped after a second, inspected, then decided to modify the current course 6.

With course 6 I have taken the bricks on inside face and removed .50 from the top. Tomorrow I will remove .50 from top back of bricks. This will help me a lot.

From here I plan to modify the remaining courses so that I get close to 20 if I can. I am more confident after I did the first half of modification to 6.

Please trust me, I believe this will still look great and work great.

Jim, once I get course 6 cleaned up I will get you the details. I hope that you can help with ratio for lift needed in the back then.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Cheer Up Robert, you've caught it at the right time and as your title says you want that Tuscan oven, not something in between. In no time at all, you will be back to this spot and then it's onwards and upwards - or at least inwards.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X