X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dusty
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Yea... I did! I got really lucky. When I first went and talked to the guy about fire bricks, he told me he couldn't sell to the public. Wholesale only. We talked for a bit about what I was going to do with them, and then he mentioned the seconds. I think that if I had called on the phone, I would have never been told about them. He then told me he would sell me 60 or 70 "firsts" for the floor, but that he didn't think it was necessary. He was right. When I unloaded them, I set 65 of the best aside and used them for the floor.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by dusty View Post
    I looked at some "firsts" at a retail brick place, and they were only slightly better.

dusty
    50 to 60 percent of my new $1.11 bricks were worst than yours in your last picture. I'd snatch those up in a heart beat.!

If the dome floor is a concern at all.. New ones could be handpicked and bought at normal price.
    Personally I'd just pick the best out of the bunch for the floor!

Nice find Dusty!
    Last edited by asudavew; 11-27-2007, 04:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

OK, the pile on the left, first pic, are 9 bricks that, for one reason or another - usually cracks, that I set aside as unuseable. I mean the orange ones in the back, not the old beat up ones in the front - I already had those. The pile on the right, second pic, which started out 250 high, is what I have left. When I bought them, I didn't feel comfortable picking through them. That didn't seem too classy considering what I was paying for them. Had I had to pay much more, I would have set the badly cracked ones aside (like I would do at H.D.).I simply took the first 250 from the top of the pallet that they fork lifted out. The last pic is a close up of two typical bricks. And believe me, these bricks are much better than good enough. The color variation (red) doesn't bother me a bit. And when there is a little dent or crack, I just put that side in the back - towards the outside - where it doesn't show. I looked at some "firsts" at a retail brick place, and they were only slightly better.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Dusty, do me a favor a shoot a photo of the bricks to verify this quality you mention. The price is great. Once I see the photo of the bricks I will call him to get current quality, quantity and price verification. I will then plan the trip down and we can see your oven's progress, sound good?
    I tarped the oven tonight, and will leave it covered for the next week. Looks like potential snow later in week here.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Dusty, .75 each? Great shape?
    Do you mean the price of a brick? 'Cause they are .30 each. I bought 250 for $75.

They aren't perfect, of course, but more than good enough.

And I think you should call the guy before you come. H. C. Muddox on Bradshaw road in Sac. His name is Jeff, and he is a super nice guy. He told me that he always has the seconds, but if I was coming that far, I would want to make sure. If you refer to me, just mention the WFO and he will remember. He was genuinely interested in the project.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Hijack any day. Information that helps anyone is fine with me.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

I I think I got it.

dusty
    I knew you would!

It took me awhile too Dusty. But you still owe me a Pabst blue ribbon

Your oven is looking awesome BTW!

Keep up the good work.

(sorry bout the Hi-Jack Acoma)

Another BTW... what's your real name Acoma>? Brick time for you soon!
    Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Ken, it will be about a week before I address the SuperIsol. As for forms. I removed the perimeter boards only. No issues, curing fine. As for underneath, that will not happen for a week. I want absolute solidity. The hearth appears to be level as needed, and shape up front looks great. Similar to your half moon.
    We may have a decent storm coming this weekend, in which case my Sac trip to check out bricks may be delayed. I will end up ordering the Refmix this week from FB. Dusty, .75 each? Great shape? Keep yours going.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post

Hard to explain.. I hope this makes sense.
    I kinda git it. Here's my try.

Ah Ha! Thanks Dave. I owe ya. I had to preview post four or five times, but I think I got it.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

What if I want to respond to one little thing, not the whole message?

dusty

Then I leave the quote tabs in and just delete what I don't want...

"QUOTE=dusty;20057] [/QUOTE" I took the first bar and last bar out here, but these are the html codes for quote. Anything in between the quote markers will be quoted. .. Just delete the stuff you don't want in there.

Hard to explain.. I hope this makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    Just click on quote instead of post reply... look in the bottom right hand corner of someone else's post. There will be a box with quote in it.
    I hope this helps dusty.

dave
    What if I want to respond to one little thing, not the whole message?

dusty

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Acoma, ol' buddy ol' pal...I'm trying to figure out the "quote" thing but can't seem to figure it out. Could you please explain? Wanted to comment on you're response to your mother-in-law, but no luck. Anyway, I've discovered that "O.K." is the right answer.

dusty

Just click on quote instead of post reply... look in the bottom right hand corner of someone else's post. There will be a box with quote in it.
    I hope this helps dusty.

dave

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Acoma, ol' buddy ol' pal...I'm trying to figure out the "quote" thing but can't seem to figure it out. Could you please explain? Wanted to comment on you're response to your mother-in-law, but no luck. Anyway, I've discovered that "O.K." is the right answer.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    I will still be using the thermocouples for piece of mind. Call it overkill.
    Nothing wrong with overkill. They will be fun to play with.

I just finished the pouring of my hearth, and will remove the framing tomorrow.
    No hurry on removing the forms! I'd let it cure for a few days (even a week) before going near them. They aren't hurting anything and you can continue work on the vermiculite or SuperIsol.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Looks great Robert!! Good luck with the winter - woke up to 16 deg. on Saturday. My hands can't handle those kind of temps.

Les...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X