Acoma 42" Tuscan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

That's very pricy!!!! I poured mine last Saturday 1/2 yard the track came and delivered for $120 and 1 yard would have been $150....if you are going to do yourself it is a very hard work! Good luck, ciao Carlo
    Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Agreed. Too much money.
      Check with the local rentals. Some provide a premix yard or so for somewhere around 130 bucks. I rented a mixer and did 3/4s of a yard for $55 rental and around 100 dollars for bagged concrete. You definitely will need a second person for about an hour to help screed the top.
      George
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Listening to your prices, it sounds ludicrous but within your own ranges.
        Mine is 2.75cu.yds. because of how I am building the oven. The foundation is 88" by 88" (allowing a 4" perimeter around blocks). This will be a well insulated oven. As for depth from foundation edge is 2 feet with 1 foot width. This goes all around for the footings. Internally, the area for logs, is 64 inches squared. All this calculated to just under 2.75, but a little extra is always smarter. In my area, you want to go 2 feet for those occasional winters where it gets extremely cold for long durations. I figure myself with two people should be good for getting concrete in place fairly quick, and time to smooth out top and edge. I would show a picture but I need to figure out why my camera's pictures a 1 pixel too many for FB. I will then show the foundation I am referencing.
        this will not deter me from moving foreward, and building. I am more nervous about doing dome work into winter.
        An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Pick up a sand/gravel mix. Add Portland cement and water. Mix in a bucket and pour away!

Much cheaper! I saved more than 200 bucks.

I paid about 60 for material, the local company wanted almost 300!

You can do it !
          My thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
          My costs:
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
          My pics:
          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Dave, I will look at pricing and availability today. What scares me is how quickly it may set while I am mixing and pouring. If the scenario looks right today, then what the hay. I'm still young enough to suffer physical exhaustion. I will recover I will let you know if I go this route.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Dave, I will be doing the foundation Friday. I will have the materials delivered tomorrow, and set up for Friday. It looks like costs are approx. $200 by rental mixer. Brother-in-law to help. For some reason the pictures have imaging that is too big to attach. I need to figure out why.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                For some reason the pictures have imaging that is too big to attach. I need to figure out why.
                Acoma,

If you are exceeding the forum limits on picture size, your pics are *huge*. It's really not necessary to use really high resolution pics (unless someone here will be downloading them to print out posters ).

Two ways to fix this. Change the setting on your camera to a lower resolution (tell us your camera's make/model if you need help).

Or use some software to lower the resolution of your photos. It's likely you already have software that will do this (usually comes with the camera). If not, you can download a free image editor. Here's one I found on CNet that has excellent reviews:

IrfanView - Reviews and free IrfanView downloads at Download.com

I usually take high res pics with my camera, then edit them down to 800x600 for the forum. That way I still have the original hi-res image if I want to send them to Walmart for 5x7's.

We aren't going to let you get away with building an oven without posting pictures!
                Ken H. - Kentucky
                42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Dave, I will be doing the foundation Friday. I will have the materials delivered tomorrow, and set up for Friday. It looks like costs are approx. $200 by rental mixer. Brother-in-law to help. For some reason the pictures have imaging that is too big to attach. I need to figure out why.
                  Robert,

When you say "rental mixer", are you buying the premix or the materials to mix it yourself. If that's the case, you can borrow my mixer if you want.

Les...
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Ken, thank you very much. I am going to look through the details of what you suggested so that I may share the visual to the work.
                    Les, I want to thank you for offering your mixer. I went to HD to buy one. I figure I will use it for a few projects anyway. As for material (sand, rock, and portland cement). Tomorrow is the day for mixing and pouring. Today I became so exhausted hauling barrel upon barrel of each (2.5cu.yds sand, 1.25cu.yds rock, and many bags of portland cement).
                    Ken and Les, I want to say that I have huge respect for the details you both have done with your ovens to date, and that I am attempting to do mine with the same quality, slowly and patiently. I hope you guys don't disappear for the winter.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

I hope you guys don't disappear for the winter.
                      Nahhh. I'll be around. Kentucky is usually mild until mid January. I should be boring everyone with my numerous posts at least until them.
                      Ken H. - Kentucky
                      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Well, I finished the pour on Friday with the help of my brother-in-law. Without him there is no way it could have been done. It took us 4.5 hours of mixing and pouring, insane time and work. the finished product was quite satisfactory to us. I still have the issues with photos. Tried the suggested method Ken, but no dice yet. I am going to get someone to look over the issue and show me a successful means. Trust me, I am not retarted (well, maybe with a camera). I do have foundation photos (prep and finish). Next weekend is the cinder block wall.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

I still have the issues with photos.
                          Outside of Forno, the best method to create an album is to download Picasa from Google (free) to organize your photos. After all of your pictures are organized by Picasa on your PC, create a Picasa web album (also free). Add the provided Picasa link to your Forno Bravo profile under signatures. Some of the best are Ken524 Picasa Web Albums - Ken - My Old Kentuc..., rlf5 Picasa Web Albums - R - Oven Progress and asudavew, Picasa Web Albums - Dwats. Of course, since my oven is still in design, my Picasa web album only shows my sons soccer pictures. Picasa Web Albums - Tim - Hammer Cup
                          Last edited by TimAZ; 11-11-2007, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks Tim. I have been doing that. I wish to have the photos to share as well within the FB Gallery and the thread. I appreciate your assistance.
                            I built the block wall. I now need to purchase the Angle Irons and Metal Blade (and more concrete to fill the block columns). Of course I will have photos Maybe for now I will get the Picasa album linked.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Sound like you're progressing rapidly! May be time for firebricks soon. I wanted to remind you of the "seconds" at H.C. Muddox for 30 cents. I have found them to be just fine. I trimmed up the sides on the floor bricks, but you would likely have to do that with the "firsts" also. May be worth a trip to Sac.

dusty

Comment

Thanks Dusty, I will calculate current 3.15 per gallon by miles round trip with per piece needed. Crazy the fuel prices now.
                                I Just finished with the cuts and placement of the Angle Iron. I will be pouring the holes tomorrow. If I get lucky, I can pour the concrete for the hearth this weekend. Wow, once prepping the yard was done, it feels like speed (pace) and addiction (to the oven) take over.
                                If I am successful, I plan to get the SuperIsol board in place sometime in early December. And that will get me to the DOME.......

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Working...
                                X