Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Robert,
    What size opening are you shooting for in your arch for the vent. I remember you saying your chimney from FB arrived, is it a 8"?
    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
    Oven Thread

Comment

Robert,
      The width of my chimney opening is only slightly narrower than the width of my entrance. Front arch is 20" wide and the vent width is 17". I seem to remember George grinding his wider to improve his draw. The thought being that the wider opening didn't allow smoke to excape on the sides. I saw your pics and it looks like you are planning a narrower vent opening. Where yours looks five bricks wide, mine is seven.
      Thought I should mention it.
      Mine draws fine.

dusty
      Last edited by dusty; 03-04-2008, 02:43 PM.

Comment

RCLake's seems to be working fine. I think my less pronounced arch (2 inch rise over the 20 inch span) may contribute to my smoke spilling out the sides.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
          RCLake's seems to be working fine. I think my less pronounced arch (2 inch rise over the 20 inch span) may contribute to my smoke spilling out the sides.
          That could be. Mine is much more arched - less flat. I just went out to measure it. (6" rise over 20" span.)

dusty

Comment

Les, thanks for pushing me to go the form route. Actually cleaning it was not bad due to the pace to get the 5 on. This was of couse after the 2nd set was attached for 3 hours.

RC and Dusty, below are my dimensions. You and anyone with concerns or blessing, please speak.

My vent opening is 5.5 * 12.5
            My entry width is 22.5
            My depth of entry area is 14
            My dome to vent opening brick at top is 4.5
            My vent to flair end is 6.5

If these dimensions are not good for smoke, speak now.....

As for the chimney is an 8" round.

I have finished the arch and now have photos to share. I must say that it is not a clean arch, that will get done once the mortar sets. I also have areas where the mortar is extra (top and sides). I want to grind that later and add some items that reflect my daughters. I am also considering some type of bears that would go on top of the arch, with framing in mind. Not sure of this part yet....My daughters are of the Bear clan from N.M. They are Acoma children. I thought it would be special to them.
            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Thinking about it now, I think tomorrow I will use the grinder to widen the bottom of the vent with an angle towards the top. I wonder, how much more bottom width would be good? Ken, I know your vent depth is only 5". Should I go from the bottom of the right side to the top of the left for the right side of the vent, then repeat it for the left side of the vent brick? Somewhat similar to Ken's. No problem doing it now while I have not addressed the chimney base or chimney itself.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                If these dimensions are not good for smoke, speak now.....
                Unfortunatly, there is only one way to tell for sure. And since you are so handy with the grinder, you could always change it later if it doesn't work as good as you would like.

Mine happens to be 17"x 4 1/2" with a 20" entry width.

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                  Ken, I know your vent depth is only 5". Should I go from the bottom of the right side to the top of the left for the right side of the vent, then repeat it for the left side of the vent brick? Somewhat similar to Ken's.
                  Robert,

Quite honestly, I wouldn't change a thing! Your vent opening will work nicely. The geometry is actually very similar to mine and I have more than adequate draw. The smoke will figure out exactly where it needs to go .

Another reason not to grind: you will induce unnecessary vibrations throughout your freshly built arch. I think your joints need to rest and cure for a few days.

Like Dusty said, if there is a problem, you can grind later; but I doubt you will need to.

Looks FAB... The bear idea is really neat!
                  Ken
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thank you Ken. the vent stays put for now. On to the chimney base tomorrow, with plans for chimney and cap on Thursday. Wow, this would be the signal of a 1-week wait. I will have to start getting the blanket on, and order some wood......

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Robert , I think you will be fine with that opening. What and see before changing anything. I'm having good results and I won't have the ratio you have.
                      RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                      Oven Thread

Comment

Robert,
                        What wonderful progress you have made, last I had looked you had signed off after a mishap with your laptop. It must have been a sprint since then. Did you quit you day job?

Any thoughts on an enclosure? I am looking at options.

Jim

Comment

Robert,
                          I agree too. You're probably good to go the way your vent is. Don't second guess yourself without reason.
                          GJBingham
                          -----------------------------------
                          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Acoma, I never realised your forum name was more than just a name...

I'm afraid Native American history didn't feature much in my history classes (as Swiss history probably didn't in yours).

The idea with the bears is way cool, I'll bet your daughters will be really pleased!
                            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Yes, my older daughter's native name is Guitzatuni, and my little one is going to get here name. The elders get together and the name is given. The way my older got hers is that her grandmother had it. Some people have a few native names. Here grandmother had one but it was special to her because her grandmother had it. Once my daughter got the name passed to her, her grandmother now is call "generic". Funny huh? Well, we will see what the little one is called soon. Also, if you look up the city of Acoma, you will find the oldest functioning church in the U.S. there. They hadn't done baptisms for 10+ years before my older daughter was born. I had to petition the Catholic church to allow her to be baptised there on Christmas Eve when she was 1. She is now going on 6, and still noone else has been baptised there since her. I am going to petition to have my other one baptised there as well. It is very emotional and eventful to have it done there. Very spiritual time and place.

JC, to answer you about day jobs, I had decided to work part time for now as my wife going to school right now. I used to be what one calls, a top sales performer for Centex in the Reno region. We don't believe in daycare so we alternate school, oven, work for the little one. She starts school in a year. Generic, I mean their grandmother retires in June and says she will watch them when we both work full time again. I will email you my resume so that you can see what I have done. I believe you will be impressed, well, maybe.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

JC, sent to your email.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Working...
                                X