Pompei oven progress from Carlo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompei oven progress from Carlo

Finally the patio is finished and I started working on the form to pour the concrete for the base, hopefully tomorrow....
    I have a slope on the patio so the slab will be 3"-3.5" on lower side and 5.5" on the highest side. Hope it will not start freezing in the next few days!!
    Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Re: Pompei oven progress from Carlo

Lights in the wood bin? Now that's classy.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Lights? Not planned ...but you never know....maybe ....thanks for your support,
      today I poured the concrete...just on time ...tonight will freeze and who knows when I can start working again!
      Carlo
      Last edited by biondoli; 11-02-2007, 08:01 PM.
      Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Today I decided to start the blocks work. I stuck them dry first but the slab was not well leveled so I used some mortar to compansate the first and second row. Now it is much better and 3rd and 4th row should go pretty easy. Any suggestions is welcome...first time I do masonry work...I am a little scared...
        I'll keep you posted with other pictures as the work progresses, ciao Carlo
        Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Hey Carlo,

Things are looking good! You're right, it's a huge challenge for those of us who have never done this kind of thing before, but hang in there.
          I noticed you mentioned frost a few days ago though and frost and wet uncured mortar don't go together too well so, unless you have a way to keep things from freezing, you might want to think of waiting till spring before you go much further (I don't know where you're located so I'm not sure what your winters are like).
          I thought I had plenty of time when I started but I ended up with some high-anxiety moments concerning freezing temps and I still have a few more days to go before my oven is safely cured.
          Be careful - you don't want to risk all your hard work!

Sarah

Comment

There are lots of us here who have never done masonry before, I'm sure you'll work it all out. To my untutored eye your stand looks fine so far. And I must say, somehow I just really like a hexagonal oven stand....

Frances
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thanks for your support guys....after some thinking regarding Mr master builder DMUN suggestion...I decided to add lights in the wood bin!
              I am also planning to pour the heart slab sometime next week, even though it will start freezing during the night 25-28, but back to 40-50 during the day. My plan is to cover the slab and add a light bulb 100W plus another one in the wood bin 24x7, this should be enough to not allow the freezing temps... I know that I should wait Spring to be safe, but I am looking to some new ideas to avoid 5-6 months stop.....waiting for your comments! thanks ciao Carlo
              Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Carlo,

Looks good. I love your patio. Is that stamped concrete or stone? I'm in Ohio so the weather is starting to turn cold as I'm working on my foundation/base. I've heard you don't want your conrete to freeze. I like the idea of the light bulb - should provide just enough heat.

Keep up the good work.

Dick

Comment

Thanks for your comments Dick, the patio is made with pavers....the initial idea was the build the oven, but I didn't want to put it in the middle of the yard, so decided to build the patio, which has been huge project ....so the first pizza I'll make will be very, very expensive! Ciao Carlo
                  Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Carlos,

Looks beautiful. You may want to ask around but my only question (maybe concern) would be the pavers and what's under them being able to support the weight and or shifting over time. It sounds like you're in freeze zone. I don't want to alarm you as this is new to me as well. I was going to put mine on an 8 inch slab but I didn't have adequate footers (below the frost line) so I'm now digging down 30+ inches to build a footer/support wall.

Thanks
                    Dick

Only trying to be helpful. What you did looks GREAT. I just want to be sure your foundation is rock solid before you proceed. My apologies if I'm incorrect and cause any alarm.

Comment

Hi Dick,
                      your concern is right, I have been struggling on what to do and in the end I decided to pour on top of the pavers based on the fact that the patio is built on a slope.In that area, where the oven is going to be, there are 3 feet or more of pouded gravel and sand that support the retaing wall. According to the builder the weight should not be a concern...they drive huge trucks on top of paved area like that with no problem; the other issue is the froze, in this case the floating slab should take care of it as, in case, all the structure will move at the same time. We will see! Thanks ciao Carlo
                      Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

question to the expert!

Hello community, after 4 months of cold bitter Minnesota winter yesterday I was able to go outside and work few hours on my oven!
                        I am at the point of building the core....
                        My question is related to the insulation of the core afterwards....I have seen using the mix of vermiculite and cement and the new light heat resistant products. Do you have any suggestion or consideration, where to buy etc? I was thinking to go with the new light product as I would save time and less weight on the structure....thanks and hopefully I can work this week end! Ciao Carlo
                        Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Carlo,

I'd definitely go with the cal sil board. It's dense, does not compress and has a much higher R value than vermic/cement. It's also easier to use, faster, does not require drying time, and, if your labor's worth anything at all, probably just about the same price.

Jim
                          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Thanks Jim,
                            any web site you suggest for cal sil boards?
                            Do you know if these boards are subject to moist or water? I read some negative comments on some posts...thanks Carlo
                            Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Originally posted by biondoli View Post
                              any web site you suggest for cal sil boards?
                              Right here:
                              FB Board :: Installation Accessories :: Forno Bravo Store

Do you know if these boards are subject to moist or water? I read some negative comments on some posts
                              Probably my posts. I ventured out and tried an untested product that doesn't play well with moisture. The stuff from FB will work fine.
                              Ken H. - Kentucky
                              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
                              X