Steel frame vs. wood frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel frame vs. wood frame

Is it even an option to construct a wood frame exterior or due to the heat, is steel framing a must? I am brand new to this forum and plan on getting under way with construction next spring. Thank you to all and I'm looking forward to all the input. By the way, I live in Southern New England (CT) and will likely eventually have some weather specific questions.

Jeff

Re: Steel frame vs. wood frame

Make plans based on "what ifs", like what if a piece of dome falls in while you have a big raging fire.

I used steel framing and Durock for everthing but the roof deck. As long as you are very well insulated, contained, and have adequate spacing I think it would be alright for everything but the front. The front wall invariably ends up very close to the dome/vent area.

Another thing to consider is steel framing is pretty easy to work with anyway, so easy to work plus fireproof means method of choice.
    Wade Lively

Comment

I could not agree more with Wade. Steel framimg makes so much sense and gives peace of mind. It is easy to work with, no bowing or warping to worry about, fireproof, and not expensive to ensure there are no issues down the road. I did not use Durock, but used Hardibacker instead which I believe is just as sturdy and provides water and fire protection. I then had a friend lath it and put a scratch coat on with plans to rock it in the Spring.

Like Wade, I built my oven with the "what ifs" in mind. I know I overbuilt the stand, hearth and the rest of the structure; but as all my guests state, they are coming over and hiding out under the oven if we ever have a hurricane. It truly is built to last.

Comment

Definitely do not do wood. I agree with dalucca that Hardibacker is a good choice. Water and fire protection, it's pretty lightweight, easier to cut and less messy can concrete board.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I will post pics if it burns down.

Cheers, Versachi
          "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I like the rock finish on the vent and landing area. Very nice. What kind of mortar do you use for this application. I am guessing a reg mason mortar but I have only used the high heat stuff so far. Can this just be put right over top of the fire brick and the insulating concreate as well....wayne
            Last edited by waynebergman; 11-02-2007, 01:24 PM.
            see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Comment

Her Versachi,

What about lining the inside of your enclosure, on the sides where it faces the oven, with 1/4" hardibacker? That would remove any combustible faces from any heat. Not much cost or hassle.

What does everyone think of that?
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hey James, I am planning on doing something with hardibacker. Possiblly stepping it off of the inside of the 2x6 with a ceramic washer and inch or so. With that airspace I will make a vent underneath my first row of siding to allow air to flow up the sides of my walls and exit through a vent in upper part of my rear overhang. I agree that steel is the way to go but I want a rustic wood look and my wood siding will anchor better to the frame this way. Besides I have to work with steel studs everyday so its nice to play with wood every once in awhile.

Wayne, thanks for the complement. Its just regular mortar. Seems strong enough. I ran a lintel along the back side to take some weight off the arch and it looks like it will hold. I will post more pics around midnight but for now I am off to work the night shift renovating a bank.

Cheers, John
                "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

What about the frame that supports the hearth/oven itself. Will the flimsy steel framing support all that weight ???? I am leaning on using a few 4x4 pressure treated posts but hoping someone here may help me steer in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by pisc78 View Post
                    Is it even an option to construct a wood frame exterior or due to the heat, is steel framing a must? I am brand new to this forum and plan on getting under way with construction next spring. Thank you to all and I'm looking forward to all the input. By the way, I live in Southern New England (CT) and will likely eventually have some weather specific questions.

Jeff
                    Welcome Jeff. I'm in CT as well.

Wood could be used, quite a few people have used it. As has been mentioned, add protection by installing a non-combustable sheet to the inside face of the wood framing.

If you've never used steel studs and it's the unfamiliarity that is holding you back, they are quite easy. And once you get your first few cuts made with the tin snips, I'd venture you might actually enjoy building with steel.

Best, Mongo
                    Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Whilst thin steel studs are suited as framing material for the oven enclosure, they are way too flimsy for an oven stand designed to support the weight of an oven. The support required depends on the size and weight of the oven, but rolled hollow section RHS 2mm thick would be the minimum thickness I'd be considering. A timber frame that is out in the weather is subject to movement from varying water content caused by alternating wetting and drying. It may last a couple of decades. Steel won't move, but is subject to corrosion and should last longer, but a masonry stand won't move and will last generations.
                      Last edited by david s; 09-10-2021, 01:35 PM.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                        Whilst thin steel studs are suited as framing material for the oven enclosure, they are way too flimsy for an oven stand designed to support the weight of an oven. The support required depends on the size and weight of the oven, but rolled hollow section RHS 2mm thick would be the minimum thickness I'd be considering. A timber frame that is out in the weather is subject to movement from varying water content caused by alternating wetting and drying. It may last a couple of decades. Steel won't move, but is subject to corrosion and should last longer, but a masonry stand won't move and will last generations.

I see your point. Never worked with masonary bricks before but there is always a first time. My base and hearth are going to have a curve at the back to get this finished product. I will just have to place the masonary bricks inside a semicircle to make this happen.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hgVnwzPLXNAkBWJo8
                        https://photos.app.goo.gl/RCDacY2dQjhQxuAA8

Comment

Hey everyone - interesting that this 2007 thread should be revived 14 years later!
                          The debate rages on!

I would use steel for the reasons stated above - at least in the front enclosure - it can get HOT!
                          Not sure I would build an outdoor enclosure with lighter than 20 gauge ... I used 18. In CT you will have to bear the weight of snow and such - and the wild weather we have been seeing - stay strong - build strong.
                          Higher gauge will not allow for snip cutting but it can be manipulated. it results in a very strong, tough frame that is safe.

Best of luck!
                          Barry
                          You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Baza
                            leowiz
                            david s

My apologies to all!

When I saw the thread pop up I read the original post that was asked by pisc78 and I replied to him. I read his question as asking about a dome enclosure on top of the slab. A typical house enclosure. That's who my reply was directed at, as indicated by the quote in my reply in Post #10.

It did not at all register with me that this was an old thread revived by leowiz and that leowiz was asking about the idea of using wood or steel studs to support the weight of the oven slab and the oven itself.

So to leowiz, I agree with david. I would not recommend using steel framing or wood to support the weight of the hearth slab and oven. CMUs are affordable, stack easily, and will carry the weight. Decay over time is not an issue. Neither is structural instability.

With this thread being revived by leowiz, I hope leowiz didn't take my reply to pisc78 as being directed towards him. I'm glad I quoted the original poster.

Still, my apologies for any confusion.

David, thanks for stepping in with a proper answer.

And Barry, thanks for posting, it was your post and your mention of this being a revived thread that made me revisit and read it through. Whew!
                            Last edited by mongota; 10-19-2021, 07:58 AM.
                            Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Working...
                            X