Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Concrete out of Cells

Hello All:

Building First Oven here is Takoma Park Maryland. Got the cement blocks in place last weekend and filled the required "core cells" with concrete for strength. I hope to build the form for the first concrete layer this weekend.

I have no idea if this question is way off the mark, but here goes:

In pouring the intial concrete, can I expect that a bunch of it will pour through the open cells on the top of the last layer of cement blocks? It would seem like there would be a good deal of waste if much of the concrete pours through this rather wide openings.

If anyone has a trick or technique to keep this from happening, it would be much appreciated. I will be snapping some pics this weekend, and hope to post early next week,

Thanks very much in advance,

Jim

Re: Keeping Concrete out of Cells

Jim,

I know a lot of people who just stuff their empty cement bags in the cells to fill the void or being one who went overboard on the cautious side, I filled every core with cement. I believe most builders opt for filling the empty cores with the bags or other loose material.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesdifede View Post
      In pouring the intial concrete, can I expect that a bunch of it will pour through the open cells on the top of the last layer of cement blocks? It would seem like there would be a good deal of waste if much of the concrete pours through this rather wide openings.

If anyone has a trick or technique to keep this from happening, it would be much appreciated. I will be snapping some pics this weekend, and hope to post early next week,

Jim
      I filled my empty cells with the empty bags from the Sacrete that I used to fill the other cells. And then a bit of sand/gravel. Not much.

You can fill em with just about anything to keep the hearth concrete from running into them.

Sand, gravel, dirt, newspaper, a time capsule.... whatever is available.

Congrats on the beginning of your oven! It's a heck of a fun project.
      Remember to post pics.(We like em around here)
      Good luck, and keep asking questions.
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Jim,

The plans recommend that you use old concrete bags to fill in the cores you don't want filled. I read there are plastic "fillers" but haven't found any yet.

Good luck
        Dick

Comment

WHoa....those responses were quick and much appreciated. I guess a little common sense goes a long way....should have thought of that myself.

Thank you for your replies. I will post as I go.

Regards,

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X