• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: It's time to go Vertical

Lookin' GOOOOOD!! Nice Keystone work.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
      RC, congrats. I agree with you and others about finishing the dome, keystone, cleaning it......then attacking the final arch section.

You win!
      It's not a contest, it's a journey - on to the next stage.
      Last edited by RCLake; 02-20-2008, 04:14 PM.
      RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
      Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
        I wasn't quite sure what you meant by support for your vent.

Once again, CONGRATS
        The support I was talking about may be something like the piece of wood temporary used. If I put a 1" piece of brick there it may support the two spans. A full span has the benefit of the whole row interlocking, a partial span doesn't have that benefit.
        My vent openining will be 6 1/2" square to match the flue liner.
        RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

RC, never a contest...the journey is done for you.. but I see the light at the end of this dark winter ......
          An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

RC,
            When I look at your arch, I get the feeling that the inside of the vent will be unsupported by a keystone anywhere and may fail in the future. Perhaps I'm not looking at it correctly, or it's just not done yet. Is more brick going in front of the spacer for the vent that will lock it all together?

I don't mean to pick. Now is the time to get it right though.
            George
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
              RC,
              When I look at your arch, I get the feeling that the inside of the vent will be unsupported by a keystone anywhere and may fail in the future. Perhaps I'm not looking at it correctly, or it's just not done yet. Is more brick going in front of the spacer for the vent that will lock it all together?

I don't mean to pick. Now is the time to get it right though.
              George
              yes this is the center row and I'll have a full row of bricks in front . The center row has more bricks than I've seen before, my opening will only match my flue liner. I'm trying to figure out how to lock the center row.
              RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Ahhhh, that's better. Don't you love a finished dome?

Congratulations!! It looks Great!

I'm no help with archways though, only ever did one in my life so far...

How are you going to finish the oven then?
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
                  yes this is the center row and I'll have a full row of bricks in front . The center row has more bricks than I've seen before, my opening will only match my flue liner. I'm trying to figure out how to lock the center row.
                  Check out Ken's build on his arch. The vent is formed from brick running back to front or front to back, alternatingly. Hard to describe. Easy to understand once you see it.

I copied him, though my vent ended up not being wide enough internally. I had to grind it out. This is the only pic I have on this computer. I think you can see it.

You may be alright the way you are too. From the one angle I saw, I couldn't see the top.
                  George
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                    Ahhhh, that's better. Don't you love a finished dome?

Congratulations!! It looks Great!

I'm no help with archways though, only ever did one in my life so far...

How are you going to finish the oven then?
                    Frances, I'm planning on doing the exterior with the Granbury stone that is on our house, similiar to the photo below. That means I have to get the wings done and the area in front will require a retaining wall that will be a sitting area. That will take some time to get done so I'm thinking about stucco until then to get it weatherproof. Downside there is that I won't then be able to add more insulation. I've got ceramic blanket 3" at 50sf, so I'm interested in how it retains heat. I'll check that out before I stucco it.

Rainy today so off to projects that have been ignored.
                    RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                      Check out Ken's build on his arch. The vent is formed from brick running back to front or front to back, alternatingly. Hard to describe. Easy to understand once you see it.

I copied him, though my vent ended up not being wide enough internally. I had to grind it out. This is the only pic I have on this computer. I think you can see it.

You may be alright the way you are too. From the one angle I saw, I couldn't see the top.
                      George
                      I see that you overlapped the rows, wish I would have thought about that when I did the arch that ties into the dome. To late now. Is your chimney an 8", I remember you having a long chimney, what do think it weighed? The two foot of terra cotta(?) flue liner is heavy.
                      RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Nice! I look forward to seeing that!
                        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

RC, I may seem the loon on this idea but, why not get your mini grinder, cut slices into the bricks to create depth for the mortar between bricks as well? This or something close in idea. This way you will have cross connects. I noticed Ken's arch as well before getting mine going, and followed with the cross bricks there. Made sense due to dome building going with this.
                          An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                            RC, I may seem the loon on this idea but, why not get your mini grinder, cut slices into the bricks to create depth for the mortar between bricks as well? This or something close in idea. This way you will have cross connects. I noticed Ken's arch as well before getting mine going, and followed with the cross bricks there. Made sense due to dome building going with this.
                            I'm thinking something along that line, when the rain is done I'll take the tarp off and will try to make the front row brick that lines up with the end of the center row notched.

I should back up and state that I'm copying Jim's front row of the vent ( I forwarded him when I saw his photo post). My center vent opening will be 6.5" square and the front row will be about 6". Ken did those two rows with a full brick and cut a vent opening I'm guessing about 4"x10". I like the way he tapered the opening in the center area, so I copied that also.

What I think I'll do is make two of the front row bricks longer and with a notch have them support (somewhat) the ends of the center row. That means I'll have to notch the center row in reverse, thanks for an angle grinder.
                            RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Better that I'm saying this late than never ... congratulations - it looks good!
                              As for the arch issue, like with most things, there's always a way - the trick sometimes is in finding it. Looks like you've had plenty of good advice there and I'll look forward to seeing what you decide on ... and the Granbury stone finish - nice!

Sarah

Comment

I just saw that I have another milestone to reach soon in addition to getting to the point of curing. Another 15 posts (or 14 after this) and I reach Journeyman and eligible for that Pizza Cutter - oh Greed is setting in.

I can't wait to get it to cut my first Pie!!!!!!!!!

So either I can wait the natural course until I start cooking (YEH likely) or I can spend time posting. I see that I average 1.02 posts a day, a lot more since I started building, but nothing like Robert or David.
                                RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X