Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's time to go Vertical

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    RC, it looks like you went from 3 courses of full thickness bricks to the forth being half thickness. Jusst curious to what the plan is now?
    The PLAN(???) is to have the top of each row aligned to the centerpoint of the floor. I take a long stick from the centerpoint and lay it on the next course to see how high the back needs to be raised.
    I started this with the soldier by cutting them at a diagonal 4" in front and 5" in back and the stick laid on it flush. So with a 42" dome the top of the brick was 21.5" from the center and I'll need to get it to 20" by the end.
    On the next two rows I had to raise the back up about 1/2". I ended just over 21" from the center at the end of the third. When I tried the same approach with full bricks for the fourth row, I felt the gap in the back was way to much and I wasn't getting closer to the center.
    I decided to taper the bottom of this row roughly 1/2" in front to full thickness in back. Then lifted the back up 1/2". This helped close the gap and resulted in less mortar required.
    The next row I'm thinking that I may be able to go with full bricks again. We will see today.
    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
    Oven Thread

Comment

I like your logic. Also, sharing such incredible scenic photos is not nice for those of us in winter wonderland.....I need extra layers of clothing here, your area just needs some cool beers, Kabobs, or pizza (when the WFO is done).
      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
        I like your logic. Also, sharing such incredible scenic photos is not nice for those of us in winter wonderland.....I need extra layers of clothing here, your area just needs some cool beers, Kabobs, or pizza (when the WFO is done).
        My hats off to you, I put off starting until our heat was gone. I'm from ND and WAS use to the cold, but no way would I be doing it under a tent in the winter!
        I just can't imagine using a wet saw when it is below 45.
        Looking forward to your pictures, I'm posting mine as things get done and just hoping that it continues.
        RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

45 degrees is easy. 35 is hell. Ice in the pump's water tray......
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

OK, I agree with George about Wet Saw in the 30's, but I am willing to work in the tent when the outside is in the 20's, no lower.
            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Well I mortared down the fifth row today, I've reduced the amount of mortar I mix up to the amount that fills a Cool Whip tub. I can get about 9 bricks done so it takes 3 batches per row. It isn't dry at the end like it used to be.

Before proceeding to the next row I think it's time to do a lot of cleanup since there is still enough room to get in. I can see soon that won't be the case!
              RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Ahh, the backache begins!
                GJBingham

-

Comment

Looks beautiful, Dad! (WFO guys, I'm RClake's son in Dallas, hence the 'Dad.') Nice to see what you're working on even when I'm not there.

~Craig

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                    Ahh, the backache begins!
                    You mean it gets harder!
                    RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Not harder, just hurts more. At least it did for me!
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                        45 degrees is easy. 35 is hell. Ice in the pump's water tray......
                        Woke up this morning and the basin for the wet saw was a slab of ice. At least the pail for the pump was empty. Guess I'll do things I have been putting of because of this crazy project
                        RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

RC,
                          I had responded to a post you had made on my "vent finished" thread, but based upon your post on the "my indespensible tool" thread, I don't think you saw it so I thought I would repost it here, it read:

"RC,
                          Thanks for the kind words. Each issue as they arise? - - The only way to go. And for me, nearly every issue was attached to tying the dome to the arch. As I mentioned to Acoma, the only way I could get through it was to prototype by carving pieces of foam insulation to fit, then transfer the cuts to the brick. The good news is that once past the arch things move very quickly.

If it helps, I have the bevel and angle calcs for subsequent courses and would be happy to send those along.
                          Jim
                          "
                          To explain a bit further, I had used 4'x8'x2" insulation board cut to fit for the forms for the arch, leaving me quite a bit extra kicking around. After going through a countless number of scrap brick trial and errors requiring multiple trips to and fro the saw, I took some of the left over foam, cut it to the (very) approximate size and then sliced it on a band saw in 1/4" thickness(could also be cut with the cool foam cutter hft sells if you don't have a bandsaw - but everyone should have a band saw). The 1/4" thickness just made it easier to cut and trim to fit the space being filled. I would leave that one in place and place the next 1/4" piece on top and trim and so on until eventually I had the thickness of the brick, with each trim of the foam make sure you are leaving room for mortar. I would then press all together pull out, hold firm, tape all together. Once held together I would then take back to the space to make certain I was happy with the fit, carve off excess, tape on any additions that was needed and then transfer the dimensions to the brick. I have attached a rather lame illustration that may or may not make clear what I am talking about. But the process was the only way I could get a tight fit between bricks.

Take a look and you will see that on course 7 I cheated a bit by cutting into the arch and then filling in the gaps with refmix. OvenCamHiRes. The brick pieces cut would have been little more than veneer and I feared they would fall out at some point so I opted to just fill with mortar.

On course 8 because I was cutting less than 2" into the arch, instead of cutting the bricks on the course to fit the arch, I ground down the arch, using my trusty $19 HFTools grinder. Made very quick work of that course. And then is was like riding a bike down hill. As I said above once you are past the arch things go much faster.

Your latest shots look great. The front corners of the flaired arch can be a bit trickey to get a nice line. If you need some help when you get to that point drop a note.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jcg31 View Post
                            RC,

If it helps, I have the bevel and angle calcs for subsequent courses and would be happy to send those along.
                            Jim

Jim
                            Jim, That is such a kind offer and I would gladly take you up on it. When you say bevel are you talking about the taper on the bottom of the brick or did you figure out how to compensate for that inverted V?
                            So far my BEST FRIEND has been an angle grinder with a diamond blade! I have to adjust each brick one at a time but so far it is working for me.
                            I'll rewatch your video for insperation. thanks
                            Last edited by RCLake; 01-18-2008, 02:55 PM.
                            RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Well no work done that last two days, it hasn't hit 40 degrees yet. In the middle of Texas we did have an accumulation of 1-2" inches of snow - well at least in the valleys on the roof. The rest liquidify on contact. Driving tonight will be fun for these Texans. Sounds like the front movement will hit you up in the North and Northeast this weekend. Should be an interesting game in Green Bay on Sunday. Favre sure looks like he is having fun
                              RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

RC,

Yeah, I live about 35 minutes from Lambeau, but I will be watching the win in70-degree comfort from my family room. There is no better stadium to watch a football game in the nation but at 10-degrees I become less ethusiastic. I actually grew up in New York, but 14 years around here have converted me.

Are you using the HFTools wet saw to cut your brick? If so, in addition to the angles above I could provide a few drawings that will make cutting them on the saw a breeze.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X