Got crack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got crack!

Two small cracks have developed while re-curing my dome. They are small, in fact I can't even see them now that it has cooled, but they were there yesterday at 400 degrees. I am not even concerned with the one down the left side. Some furnace caulk gooped on there will do the trick. But the one in front came down and cracked my front arch right next to my river-rock keystone! It is small, but right in front and unacceptible!
    I am thinking that I should try to put some mortar in that one (on the inside arch) when it is hot so it can't close back up, and then hammer out my keystone and re-set it.
    And thoughts or advice?

Thanks,
    dusty

Re: Got crack!

Sorry to hear about the cracks, Dusty. Can you post some pictures?
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
      Sorry to hear about the cracks, Dusty. Can you post some pictures?
      Thanks for your condolences, Ken. I will get the camera out there for the next fire - maybe later today. I was just out there and found no signs of a crack. They disappeared. I'll take a "before" and an "after".

dusty

Comment

Got today's fire,#5, to just over 500 degrees. I took some pics of my cracks.
        The first two are before, the last two are at 500 degrees. Seems to draw good at least.

dusty

Comment

Dusty,
          Very similar to my cracks, though I've got two good ones in the dome (that I can see). One goes right through a brick, just like yours does. I never would have guessed that would happen. The expansile forces must be pretty awesome while heating.

Regarding the arch crack, my cracks seal up as the dome cools, just as yours. I would think that the arch crack would close before the bricks got anywhere near a temp. that you could actually get mortar in there before all the moisture sizzled out of your mix. Someone mentioned shimming a crack while it was hot, then filling it once cold. I think that would just give the existing crack a new baseline from which to expand, and possibly make things worse.

My own gut reaction to your problem is to finish curing the dome, then do several really hot cooking fires, then repair any real damage.

George
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
            My own gut reaction to your problem is to finish curing the dome, then do several really hot cooking fires, then repair any real damage.

George
            Yea... but how?

Comment

I put up a long winded reply in Carioca's "crack" entry. Might want to check that out.

wasn't that hard to fix and didn't cost much.

Comment

Been watching it rain for three straight days. Dyeing to light my 6th curing fire so I can get it hot and repair my front crack. Then I can set my front keystone again (got a tad irritated and knocked it out with a hammer), set my chimney, and then watch some doughballs rise!
                I have set a goal. Pizza by valentines day. Since I started this "outdoor kitchen" project, I have recieved lots of help and support from my family and friends. I plan to have a small pizza party and plan on inviting all of those folks, and my next-door-neighbor who hasn't yet griped about all the dust or noise.
                Fact is, I couldn't have done it without you guys. If ANYONE is not too busy, I'm thinking Sat. 2/9/08. Love to have all of you. Acoma? Bring the whole family. It will be a trial, but it HAS to be better than that Windy City debacle! Telehort?, love to have you. George, Dave, Ken, Frances, Sarah, Jim, Steve, Wayne, Inishta, RT, Hawaii Dave, and all the rest, I would be thrilled to have all of you. I know it's late notice, but it is sunny California! Did I mention the rain? Oh well, sure to be sunny again by Feb. We have a big house.

dusty
                Last edited by dusty; 01-23-2008, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the invite Dusty.............I'm sure you'll have a blast.............Don't forget the photographs.

Unfortunately there is a small matter of 7,000 miles....................

Comment

That is so cool!

I'd love to come, but I'm afraid I've got the same wimpy excuse as Inishta (give or take a couple of miles)

Actually we were recently discussing that we might visit to the US with all our kids in a couple of year's time - take you up on it then?

Anyway, do make sure to take photos, so we can see what we missed...
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Dusty,
                      Sadly, I doubt I will be able to make the trip down. Kids in school, wife in school, baby at home on my lap. I'll bet the party's going to be a blast. I'm truely sorry to miss it.

Glad to see you're making progress on the cracks.
                      G.
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                        Dusty,
                        Sadly, I doubt I will be able to make the trip down. Kids in school, wife in school, baby at home on my lap. I'll bet the party's going to be a blast. I'm truely sorry to miss it.

Glad to see you're making progress on the cracks.
                        G.
                        Dave can't make it either.

But I will drink a beer for ya! And as a tribute I'll throw a pizza party the same night!!

And welcome all who are close enough to join!!

Dave
                        My thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                        My costs:
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                        My pics:
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

My thoughts on Cracks....

When I was firing my oven for the first few times... it popped and cracked and popped some more.

It's a different sort of sound than wood. A pinging tone.
                          **** PIng ping pong pong ****
                          After a while I could tell when there was another crack, just by the sound.

During the build I kind of figured the mortar in the joints would crack, but it still amazes me that bricks can crack.

I never would of guessed that.

As James told me several months ago.
                          "Embrace your cracks.
                          And enjoy the pizza!!!"

These thing will stand tall! I have some severe cracks. A brick even fell out of my inner arch. Right where the dome ties in. But the dome still stands...(waiting for repair)

So don't worry too much. (frustrating I must admit... after all the hard work)

But I really don't think that there is much that can be done to prevent them!

Dave
                          My thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                          My costs:
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                          My pics:
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Originally posted by Inishta View Post
                            Thanks for the invite Dusty.....Unfortunately there is a small matter of 7,000 miles....................

Yea, I figured you were a long-shot(so to speak). Thanks for the RSVP and everything else.

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                              Actually we were recently discussing that we might visit to the US with all our kids in a couple of year's time - take you up on it then?
                              That would be fantastic! If you make it to Sacramento, you all have a place to stay. I'm not sure how many kids we are talking about here, but we have overflow camping in the back! And by then I hope to know my way around the WFO.

dusty

Comment

Working...
                              X