Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

36" x 18" High. Pompeii with centered chimney. Will this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MeBeMarc3 View Post

I only insulated the inside of the flue. Not the walls. Stupidly, I thought the 6"-8" of concrete would be fine directly on the back of the firebrick. I was thinking in terms of insulation and that it might not be the best option for insulation, but i would make that sacrifice due to ease and availability. I wasn't really considering that general purpose concrete wouldn't be able to handle the heat. I would have run the insulation under the walls but it didn't seem like it would be a good idea, since i needed it to support the chimney. I'm disappointed that I didn't wait to hear back from you all. I was ready to go and I made an impulsive decision.
    Sorry I've missed this thread for a while (new forum more difficult to navigate now there is no new posts function) my apologies.
    Seems like you have sorted your problem. I did advise to insulate between the dome and the flue in post #3 earlier.

Last edited by david s; 09-21-2015, 04:36 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post

Sorry I've missed this thread for a while (new forum more difficult to navigate now there is no new posts function) my apologies.
      Seems like you have sorted your problem. I did advise to insulate between the dome and the flue in post #3 earlier.

I agree that the forum is difficult to navigate.
      I'm now wondering how to connect my 8" round flue to the sheet of stainless that I covered my poured concrete portion of the flue with. As of now, there is no hole cut. I'm waiting for ideas from you pizzaiolos!

Comment

The normal procedure is to get an anchor plate which you can fix to your stainless sheet.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          The normal procedure is to get an anchor plate which you can fix to your stainless sheet.
          That seems too easy. I figured that I was doing something wrong and I was going to have to make a change in plans. I obviously don't do flues often. I will take a look at them and see how they attach. I might get back in touch with more questions if you're available.
          Thank you

Comment

Comment

I used these blocks of wood cut to 1/4" longer than a clay brick half. The vermi-crete will help out a lot as a guide as I lay the last dome of red brick. There is 4" of fiber insulation and close to 2" more of vermi-crete. Any one have advice on what to put between the metal and the clay brick? I have left over ceramic fiber insulationI can put a layer of that, or should I spread a layer of vermicrete, or should I let there be air space?

Comment

A friend of mine has an oven that was built in a restaurant. It is made out of steel with firebrick on the inside... I think I have a picture of it on my build thread but the concept is the same the flue comes up and angles back to the middle before heading up. He has smoke which comes out the front because the opening is not large enough... not sure how the oven operated indoors... Its looking good though.
                Last edited by the_dr_masuess; 09-27-2015, 09:42 AM.
                Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

Originally posted by the_dr_masuess View Post
                  A friend of mine has an oven that was built in a restaurant. It is made out of steel with firebrick on the inside... I think I have a picture of it on my build thread but the concept is the same the flue comes up and angles back to the middle before heading up. He has smoke which comes out the front because the opening is not large enough... not sure how the oven operated indoors... Its looking good though.
                  I'm hoping that my flue is sufficient in size. All metal and concrete that you see in the pictures of my oven will be covered with masonry eventually. Little by little.... I'm 5 rows up on my outer, clay brick dome!

Comment

Thought a granite accent might look nice between the door arch and the larger arch I am building around it.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Nice start on decorative brick work. Are you going to do the twisted chimney too? Reminds me of Tscar's outside the box brick work. Take a look at his final product.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                            Nice start on decorative brick work. Are you going to do the twisted chimney too? Reminds me of Tscar's outside the box brick work. Take a look at his final product.
                            Thank you! I will check out Tscar's stuff! I've been picking away at it and am so close to finishing! A chimney cap, grouting/caulking and some mortar cleanup. I can taste the pizza!!!

Comment

I'm hoping this is high enough for the chimney. 7 more rows to make a complete twist.

Comment

I just saw this. I love the complexity of this design, and the use of granite...it's so cool! I did the front chimney but was nervous about an 8" flue, so I went with two 13" square flues. I'm hoping that your 8" will work with the length of travel of the draw.
                                Link to my build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
                                https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

Working...
                                X