chicken wire options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chicken wire options?

This excerpt is from Wickipedia when I was researching a stronger cement........There are at least two reasons why sculptors and builders who build for the long term avoid zinc coated wire such as poultry netting. 1) Galvanized steel used for animal cages is not required to be high quality steel. 2) Zinc is similar to copper chemically; it disolves slowly in the concrete matrix. Ferrocement artifacts utilizing zinc within the concrete matrix are only acceptable for the short time horizon of modern buildings or boat hulls. Sculptors and builders who build for a future of many centuries use uncoated high quality steel. A small quantity of galvanized wire is not harmful as the outer armature layer to hold fresh plaster in place.

page link Ferrocement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

any comments? where do you find high quality uncoated steel?
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: chicken wire options?

Yep I read that, too, and had the same question. I've never seen ungalvanised chicken wire...

Its also the first time I heard of chicken wire disovling in concrete, although I have read a bit about ferrocement. ...Wikipedia has been known to be wrong, so has anyone heard about this from other sources at all?
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I checked the DIY today and noticed they also have plastic coated chicken wire. Presumably without zink.

So Jim, - seeing as no one else is very fascinated with the Ferrocement question - do you think that would be better for non-heat exposed constructions? The plastic would keep the wire from rusting within the cement, too.

Of course one way to find out would be to build something with each kind of chicken wire, and wait for a couple of centuries to see which lasts longer...
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

Comment

Any time you have heat involved you hasten chemical reaction. You should see how long any steel doesn't last, unless it's stainless, in any kiln. Normal reo steel in concrete is not subjected to the sort of temps we're exposing it to. But I for one can't afford to use ss chikenwire even if I could find any.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Well, that's just the point isn't it? If you're looking for an afordable and easily available product to make strong ferrocement structures, what would best?

...beside non-existent and expensive stainless steel chicken wire?

Comment

There is a product available in Australia called Fibrecrete, which contains reinforcing fibres. It's incredibly strong apparently. I'm seriously considering usng it on my next oven. It would save a lot of labour not having to do the chicken wire.I'll check it out and report back.

Comment

Just finished my daughters oven using fibre in the outer render mix instead of chicken wire. It was more difficult to apply because it didn't have the chicken wire to grab onto, but as soon as I got about 6 inches up where it starts to slope in, it was much easier. It really holds the mix together. A blob just hangs off the trowel. If it doesn't work and the shell cracks, I'll have to attack it with another layer using chicken wire. This outer shell is only 10mm thick.

Comment

I was planning on using chicken wire to cover the FB blanket. Hoping the perlite/mortar mixture would have something to grab on to. For this application, would it really matter if the chicken wire disolves later on down the road?
                "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaJNKY View Post
                  For this application, would it really matter if the chicken wire disolves later on down the road?
                  I doubt it. By the time it dissolves (if ever), the cement will have long been cured and the oven will be finished out and protected from the elements.
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I concur. Shouldn't be a problem.
                    GJBingham
                    -----------------------------------
                    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

The chicken wire is not going to dissolve, it's just that it's a lot of work to tie it all together. It just provides the reinforcing that I hope the fibre can replace.

Comment

Working...
                      X