Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I reduce a 36" internal diameter to a 27" design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I reduce a 36" internal diameter to a 27" design?

hi all,
    It appears I've built my stand and hearth a bit small (before i found FB). I've got a 1200mm square base (47inch). My question is
    - can I continue with the Pompei design and just reduce the cooking space from 36" to 27"? or would i be better off looking for other ways to save space (ie reduce insulation thickness etc)?

Does anyone know if any good ideas? any comments would be very welcome

Thanks
    Chris

Better not to skimp on insulation. My oven is only 21" internal diam. How big is the oven in your kitchen? If you want to cook a whole pig you need a large oven, but even those folk with big ovens tend to only cook one pizza at a time because it will cook them faster than you can prep them. I can easily cook for a crowd of 50 for pizzas and my oven will do the family roast ok. We usually cook a turkey for Christmas, but because of the lower door height I can only fit in a 5 kg turkey. Frequently cook bread, but only a couple of loaves at a time, how much bread can a family eat before it's stale?
    Remember that the ovens fuel consumption is roughly directly proportional to its volume, (roughly because an 8 litre V8 won't actually use 8 times the fuel of a one litre four cylinder),so the smaller oven uses way less fuel meaning you don't think twice about firing it up to only cook three pizzas or a couple of loaves of bread.
    A 42" oven has double the diameter of a 21", but 8 times the volume.
    A smaller oven also requires a smaller, lighter and cheaper stand to support it. There is also far less time required for the build.
    Last edited by david s; 01-05-2016, 01:58 AM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David, I'm also thinking of building a smaller oven, maybe 21"-24" in size. What size opening would you recommend on these smaller ovens?

Comment

A rule of thumb for the oven opening height is 62-65% of the internal dome ceiling height. IE if the oven ceiling height is 12" then the opening height is 12 X .65 =7.8 " using 65%. width is user choice within reason and dome diameter constraints.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
        X