No announcement yet.

36" Pompeii low-dome in Livermore, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was out of town last weekend so a little break, but in the interim my cf board arrived and this weekend I sliced it up:

Comment

With the fireclay/sand mix under the brick floor, I was able to get them quite level, but decided to grind the surface anyway because the bricks themselves weren't that smooth. Then I laid the first course of bricks. I'm ready for soldiers now, but will probably need to slow down a little while I get my steel entry arch fabricated.

Comment

Nice start, be sure to cover the expansion gap between the first chain and the floor so mortar from the build does not fall into it, use some duct tape or stuff the cardboard spacers back in. Some have reported cracking to the dome because the expansion gap accidently filled up with mortar and the floor had no where to expand.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

A bit late for you now, but if you need more height you can get half height blocks.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
            Nice start, be sure to cover the expansion gap between the first chain and the floor so mortar from the build does not fall into it, use some duct tape or stuff the cardboard spacers back in. Some have reported cracking to the dome because the expansion gap accidently filled up with mortar and the floor had no where to expand.
            Good tip on the expansion joint. I'll be sure to seal that up.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              A bit late for you now, but if you need more height you can get half height blocks.
              Thanks David. I'm good with the height now. Somehow the 2 layers of cf board brought the deck height exactly to the tip of my elbow.

Comment

Moving right along, only got a few hours on the oven this weekend due to torrential rains, but it was enough time to get the soldiers in. I'm planning a Neopolitan-style steel entry arch which should be ready by next weekend, then on to the dome.

Comment

More rain this weekend kept everything covered, but I did finish my metal fabrication and had just enough daylight last night to get it installed.

Comment

Larry, nice steel work! Is that a kit or are you designing/welding it up custom? The steel hoop design is new to me - is it something that has been used before? I am curious how the oven will expand and contract with the different properties of the steel and brick.
                    My build thread
                    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
                      Larry, nice steel work! Is that a kit or are you designing/welding it up custom? The steel hoop design is new to me - is it something that has been used before? I am curious how the oven will expand and contract with the different properties of the steel and brick.
                      Thanks! The steel work is custom and ideas based off this build here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/ind...?topic=22618.0

I'm curious about heat expansion as well but it's a common method from what I can see with low-dome builds. I read a lot of conflicting info about expansion of steel and masonry, but I'm under the impression that they have similar properties which is why things like e.g. steel rebar can be used to reinforce masonry and concrete.

Comment

Wow that is looking great. I was wondering how you were going to support that first course. That is very impressive looking. Keep up the great work.

Randy

Comment

Thanks Randy!
                          Last edited by Larry P; 03-17-2016, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Saturday's work: Finished the brickwork around the entry arch. Filled the oven with random garbage and damp sand, then used my form to shape the dome and covered it with paper:

Comment

After losing some sleep over brick cutting on Saturday night, I woke up and invented this 2-axis brick cutting jig. The only problem was that cutting 2 axis was too much for my hungover brain. After messing up a few cuts where one axis was tapered correctly and the other was opposite what it was supposed to be, I decided to give up on 2-axis tapering and tapered only one direction, to minimize the upside-down "v" on the side facing the inside of the oven.

Comment

...after that it was up and away. I got the first 3 courses cut, and 2? mortared in, when I ran out of daylight and mortar.

Comment

Working...
                                X