PizzaJNKY pompeii build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PizzaJNKY pompeii build

Today's progress report. I followed George's advice on using less water with the mortar. It worked great. I would only mix enough mortar for one brick at a time, and only used a little water each time. Today I finished the 8th, 9th, and half of the 10th rank. No problems with bricks falling anymore. I would use a thin strip of cut plywood to hold each brick in place, just in case, but no problems.

For the 10th course, I have been tapering the bricks, basically cutting them at 45 degree angles on one side also, which is working really good. I wished I had took the time to do this from the beginning, but since I have never really been a do-it-your-selfer, I was in a hurry to show progress. I guess I needed to convince myself I could do it.

At this pace, I just might be able to put in the keystone by Wednesday, then on to the chimney portion of the project. Now its time to go celebrate today's accomplishments cinco de mayo style, with and ice cold Tecate!
    "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

Yee-Haw! I just finished closing the dome (3:48 pm Pacific Standard time) and words can not describe how good it feels!

I owe Bingham a huge thank-you, because with out his advice on this forum, I would still be curled up in the fetal postion wondering what the heck I got myself into.

Tomorrow I will start on the chimney part of the oven. Time to start studying the posted photographs again.

Now that the oven is closed, when I can I start curing fires?

My plan is to first burn the round cardboard that kept the hearth floor clean. I think that once the curing fires are done, I will set the insulation blanket over the dome, then chicken wire followed by perlite mixed with portand cement, or I am I supposed to use mortar in the mix instead of portand?

Comment

JNKY
        I would recommend using Type N mortar instead of just portland. Type N has an equal part of hydrated lime in the mix which makes it stickier and will work better on the more vertical parts of the dome.
        Congratulations on completing your dome!
        Dutch
        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks Dutch! Just confirm skip the portland, and only use Type N mortar with Perlite.

Comment

Congrats JNKY. Glad I could help. I was just passing along information I learned from my readings here. A good lesson for everyone building. All the questions have be posted before, Read, read, read!

Did you get pics of your keystone and final dome?

Re: curing. A week wait minimum before the first fire. A month couldn't hurt. Research the most recent curing regimine, which changed about 4 months ago. While you're sitting around waiting, get inside your oven and fill any voids in the joints, remove excess mortar, and take a pic for us.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Oh no, a week before I can lite the first curing fire....but......but I was hoping on eating my first pompeii pizza yesterday. I'll be real honest, its gonna be really really really really hard for me to wait that long, but I'll try.

In addition to patching up the inside, I know I'll be busy with the chimney, still trying to figure it out. How am I going to level up a nice base for the anchor plate when the arch it sits on is an arch? Hmmmmm, sounds like its time for some more of my new best friend-mortar.

Ps-I actually did take some photos of the finish, but I was in such a rush I forgot about the classic photo of the keystone, ouch, how did I forget that one? I'll post them as soon as I get this picasa web thing figured out.

Comment

Check out Ken's Old Kentucky Dome thread for a great illustration on the vent and anchor plate installation.
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Trust me, i've got printed photos of his oven all over my house. I think my oven wants to be an old kentucky dome when it grows up!

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaJNKY View Post
                    Oh no, a week before I can lite the first curing fire....but......but I was hoping on eating my first pompeii pizza yesterday. I'll be real honest, its gonna be really really really really hard for me to wait that long, but I'll try.
                    HAHA, we all had to wait, now you do too! Hard isn't it?
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Yes, I think you will find the job easier with type N. No change in the formula
                      Good luck and keep up the good work!
                      Dutch

Originally posted by PizzaJNKY View Post
                      Thanks Dutch! Just confirm skip the portland, and only use Type N mortar with Perlite.
                      Last edited by Dutchoven; 05-07-2008, 04:56 AM. Reason: fingers hadn't awakened yet
                      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Here is the latest news on my project. Originally, I had built the front arch by laying a single arched row of brick in a "Header style." Not sure why, I just liked the look. When I started working on the chimney portion, I checked the arch for strenght, and was not convinced it would support the weight of the chimney, so I took it down and started over.

Now I have a more traditional "Soldier style" arch. I think this arch is much stronger. I removed the forms today and it was solid. I mortared in brick all around the vent opening, so now it has a level base. Now I will wait for this base to solidify, then I will attach the metal anchor plate.

Does anyone know if Refmix is the only thing I need to stick the anchor plate to the brick, or do I need a different type of glue?

PS-My applogies on not being able to upload photographs. They are on Picassa, so I am sure I will figure it out soon.

Comment

Photos. Must have photos. :-) It's so much easier when you can see what's going on.
                          James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Greetings everyone. I attached the duratech 8"-4' length pipe to the oven a few days ago, and have been waiting for the dry-cure process. Today, I went out and checked the pipe, to see how its doing, and noticed that it has play. If I push a little on the pipe, it will sway. It seems like it is not on solid. (Is this normal?) I feel like a strong wind could cause problems.

Since I am all out of the Refmix, I am thinking about pouring in some concrete, or regular motar on top of the anchor plate, and around the base of the pipe to help solidify it. (Is that the best way to fix the problem?) (Is the sway normal?) (Ignore it?)

I know, lots of rookie questions.

Comment

I know others have done differently for thermal expansion issues, but I attached my anchor plate with tapcons. I set the plate on my arch, which I had ground flat, marked the holes and drilled the bricks with a mansory bit. I put a bit of Heatstop under the plate and screwed it down, then sealed all around the topside with the Heatstop.....so far (a year), so good. This may not be the best way (those thermal expansion issues), but I have had zero problems.

RT

Comment

I hope this works. A photo of the current status of my oven should post if I did this right.

Comment

Working...
                                X