Building The Dixie Darling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WarEagle90 View Post
    Larry that is some outdoor living project. Based on courses of block, he is doing almost exactly what I am planning. The only real difference is I am pouring an intermediate slab so I can better utilize the space under the oven. Thanks for sharing.
    After reading what you plan to do, and looking again at that build, I think your plan makes a lot of sense. He has to have a lot of unusable space in that stand.

Comment

Not much progress today. I got a lot done, just no real progress. I had hoped to get the foundation slab poured to day, but the few tasks I had left to do before I could start placing concrete took much longer than I had anticipated. Spent way too much time at Lowes getting concrete. Our store is notorious for allowing customers to use the covered construction material loading area for parking while they shop. This morning I had to wait on a guy who parked in front of the quikcrete while he went in to look around and eventually buy a wheel barrow. I did get all the steel placed and tied. My son and I also managed to get our concrete mixer put together. That was a real challenge. I have never seen instructions so poorly written. But it is together and actually runs. I hope to pour the slab on Tuesday.

Russell & Larry, I do love my two BGEs. There's not much I haven't cooked on them. They are excellent for cooking large hunks of meat for a long time. They will be incorporated into a kitchen that will be to the left of the WFO.
      Dan

Build Log
      Build Photo Album

Comment

Dan,

“The Dixie Darling” I really like that name. The Dixie Darlings are a drill team from my Alma matter, the University of Southern Mississippi. Thanks for the kudos of my build’s entry. However, it may not be what works best for your oven. When, I built mine, I knew that my oven would be for mostly breads, roasts etc. I also knew that I would be building an all masonry flue/chimney on top of it. I wanted something to carry the weight of the flue around the entry arch. If you are planning to go with an insulated metal flue, that is unnecessary. You can have a wide reveal with a conventional arch. You can also shorten the entry up considerably to accommodate a 12” flange for an eight inch flue. Just completing the arch, both front and back will yield a very strong entry without going to the extreme that I did.

I’m looking forward to your progress.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Shish, I didn't even notice the second BGE. Then you will appreciate this. My coworker built this smoker from scratch, We were both in the pipeline industry and all the materials are steel pipe or fittings or plate.He by far is a much better welder than I, I was just an engineering nerd, but handy.
          Attached Files
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Dan,

I contacted the FB admin people and right now they in not a way to reorder the pics but they are going to have a software update in Sept. and this ability "may" be part of the update. Can't tell ya why they post differently than you selection though.
            Russell

Comment

Joe, my plan right now is to build a masonry chimney. I'm still toying with ideas so I don't have a set design yet. I'm not sure just yet what all I will cook in it but I'm confident if it needs heat to cook, I'll give it a try in the WFO. I am concerned about the reach though, so I will build a mockup before I start mortaring brick to make sure I can deal with the added distance.

Russell, I love that grill. Talking about craftsmanship!! WOW!! I assume the resemblance to a steam engine is intentional. I am a train nut too. No worries about the photos.

If it doesn't rain tonight or in the morning, my son and I will get the foundation slab poured tomorrow.
              Dan

Build Log
              Build Photo Album

Comment

Foundation slab is poured. Not my greatest work but it will definitely serve its intended purpose. I am glad that is done. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
                Dan

Build Log
                Build Photo Album

Comment

Congratulations on that step Dan. Be careful this time of year. My next door neighbor passed away Sunday due to heat stroke. He was 72 years old but, was used to working outside all his life. Monday, I rigged up a water mister on a fan to blow on me while I'm working on an outdoor fireplace. It helps a bunch.
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Joe. You are 100% correct about the heat. It is very easy to get dehydrated this time of year. Most people don't come close to drinking enough fluids when working in 90+ degree heat. We had an employee that had to be hospitalized this past Friday due to dehydration and heat exhaustion. Fortunately yesterday I had my 16 year old son helping me. He did all the mixing. You know it's a tough job when a high school football player is worn out!!! Still have two slabs to go. They will be somewhat easier because I won't be on my knees and they will be about half the concrete.
                    Dan

Build Log
                    Build Photo Album

Comment

Wow, its hard to believe that it has been almost a year since my last update. I have progressed, though. All concrete and block have been placed. Poured the hearth slab this past Tuesday. Now the fun starts, building the oven.

Progress photos. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0194.JPG Views:	1 Size:	287.2 KB ID:	398373
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0198.JPG Views:	1 Size:	239.3 KB ID:	398374

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0205.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	398379

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0215.JPG Views:	1 Size:	199.7 KB ID:	398377

Last edited by WarEagle90; 06-03-2017, 04:11 PM.
                      Dan

Build Log
                      Build Photo Album

Comment

More photos.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0741.JPG Views:	1 Size:	242.1 KB ID:	398381
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0751.JPG Views:	1 Size:	269.3 KB ID:	398382
                        Dan

Build Log
                        Build Photo Album

Comment

Current progress. Notice we finally got smart and just made a simple phone call to get concrete. Much quicker and less tiring.

Name:	IMG_0877.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	398384

Name:	IMG_0880.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	398385

Name:	IMG_0882.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	398386

Pulled the side forms off today. Will remove the interior forms at some point. Not in a real hurry to do that right now. The hearth slab ended up being 86" x 98" x 8". There is a 12" overhang on the front. Hopefully the oven itself will progress somewhat quicker once I get started.
                          Dan

Build Log
                          Build Photo Album

Comment

Been in your neighborhood twice in May, first to graduation at Auburn, second driving a Uhaul to Minnesota where the stepson got a job. So I have seen a lot of your area in the past month. Have the say there is something to Southern hospitality. Everyone I met was very friendly and polite, not like people here in Utah who won't say hello or boo to ya as you walk down the sidewalk. Good luck with the build the fun is starting, again, you wait until it is hot and humid .

PS another highly engineered build by an engineer, 8" hearth is a bomb/tornado shelter...........LOL.
                            Russell

Comment

I also went with a thicker than normal hearth slab. Mine is a little over 6" thick. I was looking for ways to bring the height up a little bit. So a inch or 2 here and there adds up. Looking good. I can't wait to see the rest of your build.

Randy

Comment

Here's one on a raised deck a lot higher than yours. The mosaic is of Positano

Name:	Ryan and Teena's oven.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	398390Click image for larger version

Name:	Ryan and Teenas oven.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	398391
                                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X