Styrofoam Form for the vent arch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Styrofoam Form for the vent arch?

If I glue 2 pieces of styrofoam (4 inches thick) to make the template for my door /vent arches would the styrofoam be sturdy enough? I thought it might be easier to do this than using plywood. Plus it would be easier to get the styrofoam out.

Let me know.

Thanks
    Dick

Re: Styrofoam Form for the vent arch?

I would think that should be plenty

Look here

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-pics-348.html

It looks like the foam is only one inch and help up the dome during construction without a problem.

Bruce
    Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

if you feel it is necessary to have a second opinion... the styrofoam will be plenty strong...if you have any apprehension at all, use the blue or pink board, it may have a little more strength. But you will be fine in either case

Bob
      Great pizza, a cold beer,a great cigar and great friends...my idea of a great time

Comment

Don't forget to leave shim space underneath the styrofoam forms. A couple of builders had their arches fall trying to pull the forms out.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
          Don't forget to leave shim space underneath the styrofoam forms. A couple of builders had their arches fall trying to pull the forms out.
          George, good tip. How long did they wait before pulling out the foam? I should think you can cut it to come out easier.
          sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

So it sounds like the styrofoam will be strong enough to support my entry arches . I just didn't want to build it and have the arch "shift" while it was drying.

I agree. My plan was to cut them out.

TIP: I used an old "electic turkey carver" (actually a new one that we got as a wedding present 8 years ago but never used it ) with the two blades to cut the styrofoam.

Thanks
            Dick

Comment

Heavy duty plastic sheet works well for a shim over your formwork. Nothing wants to stick to it and form slides out easily. Also try to create what they call a release. That is a slope like a wedge so the form comes away easily.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I used styrofoam boards for my archway - and I had to pull them early because of an accident with the vent pour, and I didn't have wedge thing and had to cut them out with a bread knife...

But it worked out fine. Wouldn't want to use anything else.
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Cutting them out is perfectly acceptable. A couple three shims under the bottom of the form can be easily pulled and the whole thing should come loose.

I think the current wisdom on how long to wait before pulling the forms is one week. If your bricks are custom cut with a keystone at the center, and with minimal mortar joints - 4 or 5 days may be safe. Why sweat it though. Give it a week. (I only lasted 6 days before I couldn't wait any more)
                  GJBingham

-

Comment

I used 1" pink foam board "arches" as my form or support for the vent arch. Plenty strong. Since I went with a cut brick arch, for minimal joints, I pulled the forms soon after getting all the bricks in place together. I wanted to make sure, if by some chance the mortar bond completely failed the arch would still stand. Pulled the supports and the the arch held fine. Great feeling. I should say the sides or wall were set of course.
                    Wade Lively

Comment

Good report Wade. I figured that with tight joints well placed bricks, the arch should stand on its own immediately. This is the point though that butressing the entryway walls might help a bunch.
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                      X