42 Inch in Soutern MO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 Inch in Soutern MO

Finally got my build started. This will be a full outdoor kitchen with Pompeii 42 inch oven. I will be doing soldiers on the first course and I am interested in an indispensable tool if anyone has one. Due to the winter coming on this will set till spring if I cannot start and finish the dome in a weekend.
    Attached Files
    40 new photos · Album by Roby Sisk

Congrats on t he start......I just started too. I fortunately am planning and can work through the winter months...........keep you updates coming!
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1029081...00165373509921

Comment

Looks like a great setup. One caution - unless you're an experienced mason, I would check your expectations about how quickly you can finish the dome. My experience, it is not a project that a newbie can finish in a couple days. I've only seen one dome on the site finished that quickly, and that was by an experienced mason.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I have to agree with IP I worked on mine every day and the dome took more then a week, and I have plenty of experience laying brick and block

Comment

looks like a great location for a corner build! good luck. I would affirm the earlier recommendations. I think most of us weekend masons take several months to complete the work of stand/dome/finish.
          George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

Its pretty much on hold till spring if not early summer, based on my readings it is a slow process to build. Just getting to this point was a benchmark and I will do all my inside work. patterns etc and be ready for spring. We are finding that there are standard measurements for the base that allow for less waste and fewer cuts. thanks again for all suggestions.

Comment

This should work as a link to my work in progress.

I have gotten everything done and now I am to the point I need input. My entry arch is 13 inches high and 20 inches wide. This is based on 42 inch build 21 inch height of dome. I did the math and 21 x .63= 13.25 and 21 x .65= 13.65. As i go through the diagrams in instruction it should be 12.5 inches high. If I use the spreadsheet calculator it is even higher so I am going to go with 13 unless someone can convince me different. the Vent is another question point but it will be and 8 in above the arch. Presently going to look at a 6x 12 which will give me a 72 cubic inch vent on 8 inch pipe.

Comment

Yeah, the instructions don't necessarily follow the recommended ratios. Their 36" has the opening larger than "optimum" and the 42" smaller. I built a 39" and interpolating the FB numbers put me almost at 63%, which I considered a good sign . You should be fine with either a 13" or 13.25" opening. What kind of arch are you planning on building, a flatter one or a semi-circular one? If you are doing the latter, which I think looks better and ties in with the dome well, you may want to adjust the height a quarter of an inch or so either way to make the numbers work with your brick sizes.
                Opening Opening Ratio
                ID Height Width Height
                36" 36 18 19 12 66.67%
                39" 39 19.5 19.5 12.25 62.82%
                42" 42 21 20 12.5 59.52%
                My build thread
                https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Making some progress a little earlier in the year than you thought........nice work!!!
                  https://picasaweb.google.com/1029081...00165373509921

Comment

JR I'm doing a small arch. Will go from 4th brick high and is barley 2.25 inches of arch. So it will be flatter.
                    I have to leave for a few months so will be stalled again. After 30 years in military you would think I could slow down but no.

it's all good love what I do.

Comment

The final build. 2019

Comment

Working...
                      X