Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shanxk8
    replied
    I'm having in my mind to be patient, hopefully I keep to that. I plan to have the work lamp there til tomorrow (~2 days) then do briquettes on the next day or maybe 2. Then proceed to newspaper & small sticks for the ~300°F fires.

My pcrete probably has some moisture in it. I'd had the oven covered with tarps and plastic for most of the rain (all since dome complete) this year, but not the entire hearth slab, so there could be some moisture still in there. (I'll find out as I get to the real fires, as the work lamp isn't really heating the floor much - as one would expect)

Russell, as you used CF blanket, do you have input into my earlier question about compressing the CF blanket to fit in more layers (as I look to have excess of that insulation)?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Rule of thermodynamics, heat rises. There is a lot of mass to be heated. I think your pcrete should be dry unless it got wet due to rain since you installed it over a year ago. Be patient with the curing, this is were I see a lot of builders want to hurry the curing process only to go too hot, to fast, and damage their ovens and all that hard work. You can cook something when you use the briquettes, dutch oven or tuscan grill............

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    Got a work lamp going in my dome last night, so I've started on my path to curing the oven. I was rather surprised that the top of the dome was registering in the 190°F range. Temperatures dropped down to 100 to 110°F and the floor was even cooler.
    It will be interesting to see if the lamp has output to start any drying and increase the temps farther down the dome. By Friday I think I'll be moving on to briquettes.
    I still only have the 2" of CF blanket at this point but plan to get to my (still undetermined) thickness before I move past briquettes.

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    Another question, if I am planning to stucco my vent arch up to the chimney, would it make sense to put on 1" or 2" of insulation on the arch itself?
    I don't know how hot the arch might get and can't remember what I saw in other builds I've read.

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    Got one box of CF blanket installed this evening. It was 50 sq ft 1" thick, and I managed to get 2 layers over the oven.
    I bought 3 boxes (150 sqft), so it looks that I can do 5" thick CF blanket, it maybe even 6" thick.
    (I must have done something wrong with my math last year when calculating the amount needed)

I had only planned for 3" of CF blanket (hearth size limit), but find that the CF blanket is compressible . Could I compress the layers to make more blanket fit in the same thickness, or is the air within the blanket part of what provides the insulation?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    I'm including two pics of me using charcoal. One is when I was drying my new oven. It is with the charcoal brickettes. It is the Karangi Dude "Heat bead" method. It works a treat! The other is me using lump charcoal to add extra heat to an oven on the decline. Either, is a milder, more controlable method than burning paper or wood in a new oven where there will be a direct flame impingement on the dome.
    Last edited by Gulf; 06-17-2018, 07:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    And here are a few test during the chimney. This really makes me want to start firing the oven.
    i can all but taste the pizza.

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    Here's some more photos from finishing off the mount for the chimney

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    So how long should the first fire to 200 or 250 be burning?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    The FB plans are a good baseline, but dated. There have been numerous innovations and improved processes by the Forum members over the years. At one time FB asked the members to help update the digital plans. Several of us participated in the update but it died on the vine when the FB person championing the update left the company. So the plans are still as originally developed 10 plus years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Charcoal is a very good medium for the first heating of a new oven. Don't use match light or starter fluid. Light it in a starter chimney with your paper. Then place it in the oven when it is going good.

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    It seems the process for curing had changed since the original plans I downloaded.
    either way, I plan to start slow with the newspaper only fire. I still am not sure how long or how much newspaper to use for the first fires?

Weather didn't cooperate so far this weekend, so no insulation yet. I guess I'll take my time insulating & patiently wait til next week to start the fires.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Originally posted by shanxk8 View Post
    One question that I have, the mortar between each course I had not filled the full depth to the outer edge of the dome. I've since filled that in with the home brew mortar as I've been completing my arch.

My question is, do I need to wait 1 week for that new mortar I cure?

This picture shows the space/grooves I was filling (before they were filled)
    If you used homebrew mortar, yes it needs to be damp cured for a week because it is Portland cement based. If you use a calcium aluminate based mortar, no, it only requires 24 hrs curing.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    You should be golden. Do wear a Noish 95 mask when working with CF blanket, it is nasty stuff. I do suggest that the first few fires be done with briquettes, relatively low transitional heat with minimal temp spiking.. Go slow, this is where a lot a builders go too hot too quick and end up cracking the oven.
    It depends on the type of blanket you have. The new generation of blanket is safe. Read the MSDS on the product you have and follow their directions re installation.

it is pretty long, but a good idea to read the whole of this thread on curing. Start here
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...curing#post833
    Last edited by david s; 06-16-2018, 02:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    I'll have to go back and read process for firing, and get an IR thermometer

Leave a comment:

Working...
X