Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    You should be golden. Do wear a Noish 95 mask when working with CF blanket, it is nasty stuff. I do suggest that the first few fires be done with briquettes, relatively low transitional heat with minimal temp spiking.. Go slow, this is where a lot a builders go too hot too quick and end up cracking the oven.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 06-16-2018, 10:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    I was planning to try to install my cf blanket this weekend and do cure fires starting this week.
    (I filled the bulk of those grooves yesterday)

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    When you say "do I need a week to cure the fill in mortar" before what? Insulating the dome with CF blanket or Pcrete...........no. I do know that David S advocates the dome be insulated before curing to minimize temp. differential during curing.

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    One question that I have, the mortar between each course I had not filled the full depth to the outer edge of the dome. I've since filled that in with the home brew mortar as I've been completing my arch.

My question is, do I need to wait 1 week for that new mortar I cure?

This picture shows the space/grooves I was filling (before they were filled)

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    Good weekend all, this week I've managed to finish my outer arch, hooray!

Here are a few pictures (but great as I had under cover for threat of rain.
    My last arch didn't come out quite as symmetrical as I'd hoped, one side hada but of a flat spot where some bricks sank

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    A little more progress this evening . Both s curves done .

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    My arches are looking a little rougher than I had hoped, I'm hoping that they're just structurally sound at this point.

This picture is today with one s curve done and the other just started.

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    Here's progress I've made in my outer arch so far, hopefully mortar issues don't leave me with fallen arch later. (still having trouble with photos (only about 1/3 upload without error)

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    (And after more trouble with the photo uploader) here are some pictures of finishing the dome, which was only a day later.

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    It was very exciting to finish the first course above the arch.
    Building seemed to go quickly after that!

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    Here's the initial progress after warm weather arrived

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    Finally back to working on my oven after an ugly winter. Been at it for a few weeks and feel I'm getting close to finishing the dome. Finished the first full ring above the arch today, so hoping it will go quicker now. Will post some pictures when I remember how to upload from my phone :-p

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    Some more close up pictures of the arch

Leave a comment:

• shanxk8
    replied
    I saw that your post there as well, it looks like I might need to use the grinder to get the upper angle cutoff the back and sides of the arch. I wasn't sure how the backs of those arch bricks were supposed to go, now I know! This way i'll be able to cut them at the exact spot instead of guessing how high or low to make that cut.
    I'm sure I'll make it work.

Here are some progress photos from my arch building.
    1: modified arch template from Naramata pizza oven
    2 & 3: my typical views for reference
    Last edited by shanxk8; 08-06-2017, 11:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Shanxk8,

Looks like I was posting about your arch on another poster's thread, must of had a senior moment. But in any event, my comments on the arch still apply and you need to evaluate how the dome will mate to the arch if you leave as is or if you need to modify. I am not sure the arch can handle the grinding necessary to achieve the correct profile for a taper arch. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X