Another WFO in the UK - 42" Pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
    The cuts on the arch do look nice indeed, but I have a question for you. In the attached picture you can see where the amount of brick "protruding" from the dome increases towards the top of the arch as the circumference of the dome gets smaller, which is why Russell said the TDC brick should be the longest. The prospective of the picture makes it look like my arch is leaning to the right, but that is an optical illusion. Have you placed a dome brick on top of your arch using the IT to make sure it all fits?
    Thanks for the comments everyone! Yes i did also think that my bricks dont appear to protrude as much as i expected but using the IT with a brick on it does sit right at the TDC, although that brick that will sit above the TDC arch brick will have a wedge shaped mortar gap underneath which i could have corrected if it mattered and that would appear to make the protrusion from the side more obvious.

Comment

Brad, terrific job on documenting this arch with the photos (and your craftsmanship is remarkable ). This should definitely be one of the reference threads for new builders.

Kudos to all of you that have commented/clarified on Brad's entry arch work...it's great to see all the innovations and ideas coming together in this build.
      Last edited by SableSprings; 07-15-2018, 09:25 AM.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

So i spent the day cutting the second ring of bricks and laying some of them, i was just mixing up very small batches as its super hot here at the minute so mortar was just drying up too fast, i managed a few arch bricks and about a third of the second ring, i did put one brick on the third ring but kicked it off by accident when i was cleaning up at the end, never mind. Oh and the block clamped on the top of the arch is just to weigh it down and keep it still until i get further up.

I left the dome covered with a damp hessian cloth to keep it moist too, seems to be working!
        Last edited by brad mole; 07-15-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I should mentioned, as you start moving up in courses, the last brick of the day, you install one on the back half of the dome on the NEXT course and let it sit overnight. It will become the anchor for laying the next course.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by SableSprings View Post
            Brad, terrific job on documenting this arch with the photos (and your craftsmanship is remarkable ). This should definitely be one of the reference threads for new builders.

Kudos to all of you that have commented/clarified on Brad's entry arch work...it's great to see all the innovations and ideas coming together in this build.
            Thanks Mike! it is great to see all these processes ive watched in other peoples build threads all come together in my own build, huge thanks to this forum for providing that to the rest of us as there is no way i would have considered doing or figured out how to do most of this so far without the help of our members here!

Comment

Another few updates from the last week, i finally managed to finish the arch which im pleased about! Its been very slow going as im only laying 5-10 bricks per day. Still having problems with mortar cracking a little but im not sure how big an issue it is in reality as the bricks dont feel like they are coming loose and surely it will all hold itself together once the dome is complete?

How do people apply the homebrew mortar, as im having trouble getting a tight join as the mortar doesnt want to squeeze flat too easily, im buttering the underside of the brick in a wedge shape and the side of the brick in a wedge shape then trying to wiggle it into place, but some require a tap with the mallet and im just worried this will upset the other bricks or im spending too much time getting the brick sitting right that the mortar has lost its suction? any tips from the experienced?

Thanks
              Last edited by brad mole; 07-22-2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Well i made good progress this weekend, I finished the first 3 rings then cut and laid all bar 3 of the fourth ring, mortar is still drying out too fast so im keeping it covered with damp hessian when possible and spraying water on regularly

Comment

More updates, slowly getting there

Comment

Very nice brick work. Looking right on. Getting close to clearing the arch. Watch out for dread droop near the arch as you clear the top.
                    Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                      Very nice brick work. Looking right on. Getting close to clearing the arch. Watch out for dread droop near the arch as you clear the top.
                      I think i managed to avoid the droop russell? i didnt notice any difference in shape as i worked above the arch, the only thing i noticed was that the brick to go above the top of the arch would be around 3mm low if i laid it where it wanted to go so i just didnt tap that one all the way down and blended out from there. you can see in my pics when i laid a spirit level across where the two opposite bricks would sit the level was out, it was perfect in the other direction so im pleased overall it ended up so accurate. The only other thing that wasnt as good as id hoped was the wedge shaped moretar gap at the top of the inner side of the arch, but im guessing this is common to have such an awkward shaped piece, i just wedged an offcut of brick in to take up some of the mortar gap.

Im pleased im finally over the top of the arch and can now start making complete rings! but it seems like its getting taller but not much narrower! i feel like every course has the same amount of bricks, im guessing from now they will reduce a lot as the angle becomes more steep, which will also make it trickier to stop bricks sliding!

Comment

You can always tell if the tapered inner arch was done placed and correctly by how well the inside of the arch looks. You did a great job on clearing the inner arch, very well done. As you move up now, the bevels will increase quite a bit and the taper angles somewhat. This is where a lot of builders start to lose patience, hold the course, take you time. I made some notch sticks to hold the bricks in place while I move the IT to the next one, gravity is your enemy.
                        Russell

Comment

Looking quite nice!
                          Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Very nice workmanship, Brad.
                            Dan

Build Log
                            Build Photo Album

Comment

Thanks guys, i am a bit of a perfectionist so im trying to get it right, although im sure as i get near the top i will start to let the accuracy slip a little

Comment

Well ive been making a little more progress, it finally feels like the dome is starting to close in now! i also swapped out to my narrower IT end as my bricks are getting quite narrow now, also i removed the arch former, great feeling seeing it all open, just a little pointing up to do where i couldn't get while the former was in place, so excited to see the floor underneath when i finally lift my ply layer!

Comment

Working...
                                X