Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eirebuild View Post
    Hi Brad,
    Great build, been going through your pictures and love it!

Have a question for you as I'm getting ready to start building my own 42 inch here in Wicklow, Ireland.

What depth is you vent landing? The forno bravo manual recommends 8 inchs but this seems quiet short to me.
    What were your measurements?
    Thanks!

i cannot remember exactly from memory but i seem to remember using roughly a full brick at the peak (the top brick) then gradually getting smaller towards the bottom of the arch. This was for the structural arch, then my vent entrance where the chimney forms was another brick and a half deep as far as i remember with another half brick as a decorative arch. So from this id guess at around 450mm depth with another optional 100mm on top for a decorative arch. I can double check the measure tomorrow by measuring the oven if that would help

Comment

• Originally posted by brad mole View Post

Thanks!

i cannot remember exactly from memory but i seem to remember using roughly a full brick at the peak (the top brick) then gradually getting smaller towards the bottom of the arch. This was for the structural arch, then my vent entrance where the chimney forms was another brick and a half deep as far as i remember with another half brick as a decorative arch. So from this id guess at around 450mm depth with another optional 100mm on top for a decorative arch. I can double check the measure tomorrow by measuring the oven if that would help
      Thanks Brad, yeah if you could grab a measurement that would be great.
      I've attached the measurements that I'm coming up with from my sketch so it would be good to see if these marry with your measurements.

Comment

• I cannot zoom in enough to read the measures you have there. Ive tried measuring my oven for them but struggling to measure some, i have sketched a plan view of what i was working to so hope this helps, you should be able to work out the other measure if you know how high your arch will be etc.

Comment

• Well done! Brad, Beautiful work. very well done!

Comment

I cannot zoom in enough to read the measures you have there. Ive tried measuring my oven for them but struggling to measure some, i have sketched a plan view of what i was working to so hope this helps, you should be able to work out the other measure if you know how high your arch will be etc.
            Thanks Brad. Yes that helps alot, thats perfect thanks.
            I've attached my measurements hopefully you can see them now. It looks like I will have to extend my landing a bit.

Thanks for your help

Comment

• Unreal work here Brad, can’t believe how neat you have managed to get the dome and arches.

im a couple of weeks into mine and facing daily challenges, 1 step forward, 2 back. Committed to persevere and take inspiration looking and the many builds here on this forum. What a great resource.
              My Build:

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...and#post423032

Comment

• Trust me you are not the only one!
                I doubt that anyone has had it neat all the way. Keep up the hard work and enjoy it.
                Remain on your track no matter what your wife, family and friends tell you about the "mess with the oven".
                Last edited by Alomran; 04-08-2020, 08:07 AM.

Comment

I have managed to use my new laser thermometer and lighter and they work great. I also made an 8" pizza peel, this was supposed to be just a quick temporary one but it turned out quite nice, i used my old wok handle and some oak dowel i had, the peel itself is aluminium
                  You should make a video on how you have made them., Well done!

Comment

• Originally posted by danhem View Post
                    Unreal work here Brad, can’t believe how neat you have managed to get the dome and arches.

im a couple of weeks into mine and facing daily challenges, 1 step forward, 2 back. Committed to persevere and take inspiration looking and the many builds here on this forum. What a great resource.
                    Thanks! I am such a perfectionist it would kill me to know it wasnt as good as it could have been haha, the amount of hours i spent unnecessarily just to make things that little bit better is just stupid, but im glad it payed off!

Stay motivated, i got really down at some points thinking is this thing ever going to get finished! but it will and when it does you will be glad!

Remember we are all here to help and have all been through the same thing so any questions you have there will always be someone to answer it! If theres anything you have seen in my thread that doesnt make sense or you want more information on then let me know and il try and remember and explain!

Originally posted by Alomran View Post

You should make a video on how you have made them., Well done!
                    I may well do that as im thinking about starting a youtube channel for wood fired oven related bits, would that interest people?

Comment

Thanks! I am such a perfectionist it would kill me to know it wasnt as good as it could have been haha, the amount of hours i spent unnecessarily just to make things that little bit better is just stupid, but im glad it payed off!

Stay motivated, i got really down at some points thinking is this thing ever going to get finished! but it will and when it does you will be glad!

Remember we are all here to help and have all been through the same thing so any questions you have there will always be someone to answer it! If theres anything you have seen in my thread that doesnt make sense or you want more information on then let me know and il try and remember and explain!

I may well do that as im thinking about starting a youtube channel for wood fired oven related bits, would that interest people?
                      Please go ahead, I am all for it.

Comment

Yes a daily challenge at every stage. I wonder if you can take a quick peek at my build page. I'm absolutely stuck on the inner-arch and no matter how many posts and images I go through I can visualise on my build. It's sort of clicking in my head but not enough to be confident in moving forward

Problem being there are so many variations on the forum the info is overkill at times.

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...thailand/page3

Originally posted by brad mole View Post

I'd subscribe for sure. There is a beauty in these ovens that once you fall for you are forever in.
                        My Build:

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...and#post423032

Comment

• Hi Brad, I'm starting a new build in Tennessee. What exactly did you pay your floor bricks on? It appears to be 2 layers of casi?

Thanks,

Bock

Great build with awesome docu btw.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bocktn View Post
                            Hi Brad, I'm starting a new build in Tennessee. What exactly did you pay your floor bricks on? It appears to be 2 layers of casi?

Thanks,

Bock

Great build with awesome docu btw.
                            Hi Bock,

thats right i put mine on 100mm of calsil (2 x 50mm) i then placed kitchen tinfoil down before the floor bricks to stop moisture travelling up into the floor bricks but soon realised that it would just disintegrate quickly. I don't know how necessary it is anyway so I'm not too worried

Good luck with the build!

Comment

• Managed to cook some bits other than pizza in the oven, its the first time ive tried anything other than pizza in there and it was a great feeling to use most of the retained heat, only having to make a small fire to boost the temp back up.

I started with pizza on the Friday night. Saturday I made a slow cooked honey and mustard glazed ham, then tried some ciabatta bread straight after but it stuck to my peel and ended up in a snake shape, i also forgot to turn it so it burnt on one side but it tasted lovely! then finally i made some rice pudding on the Sunday afternoon. I must say the door is doing a great job of keeping the heat in, im surprised as its only thin aluminium and not insulated at all.
                              Last edited by brad mole; 05-06-2020, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• I also cut the bricks ready to start my chimney. Originally i had planned to use 6 bricks plus slithers per layer, but after cutting 15 courses work like this i decided that the chimney would be too bulky and have way too much weight in it. So i had a rethink and after some head scratching i decided on this slimmer and more lightweight design which uses less than 5 full bricks per layer, hoping this will be strong enough once built up! You can see my comparison for size of the 2 designs

Comment

Working...
                                X