No announcement yet.

Another WFO in the UK - 42" Pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ive also included a pillar in the centre to support some of the weight, do you all think this is sufficient overall? in the end i would like to have a brick chimney with either a rendered dome or brick slip covered dome to give you an idea of the weight on top"
    Hi Brad,

Just wondering how the middle pillar worked out? I'm hoping to do something similar to support the hearth.

Best
    Michael

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Thomas View Post

Hi Brad,

Just wondering how the middle pillar worked out? I'm hoping to do something similar to support the hearth.

Best
      Michael
      Hi Michael,

The pillar worked great. It gives me confidence in loading up the top with as much weight as i want and i don't need to worry. The only drawback to it is storing the logs underneath is a little awkward with the pillar there but no major inconvenience.

I've just finished tiling it with brick slips as i didn't like that i could see the block work

Comment

• Also been busy doing other bits on the oven, I finally got my granite cut and started on the chimney. Getting that slab of granite up there and fitted by myself was a bit of a chore but looks great!

Comment

• Fitted and starting to build up the chimney

Comment

• And more (lockdown hair!)
            Last edited by brad mole; 06-27-2020, 06:35 AM.

Comment

• Then moved on to digging and pouring some foundations for a pergola. I debated what to do to keep the weather off the oven but decided on a pitched tiled roof pergola in the end, partly because i wanted the challenge of building a traditional timber framed structure, but also because it will be a good way to have the oven on display rather than covering it with something and means we can shelter under it and still cook if the weather isn't great

Comment

• Picked up my pergola timber. I was debating going with green oak, but it was pretty pricey in the sizes i wanted so i settled for 150x150mm treated timber. Started by sketchup up my design and colour coding and exploded view of it so i could get my head around everything, I then started marking up the corner post joints and labelled their orientation

Comment

• Next i started on the diagonal braces 150x45mm timbers with a visible diagonal length of 700mm. I was too impatient to wait til i could get into the workshop to make these so i made them at home, so opted to go full with tenon with no shoulder as i figured it wasn't essential and made the making of them easier.

Comment

• Drilled out the bulk of the mortise then cleaned it out with a chisel, test fit seems good!

Comment

• Very nice wood working! I like how you kept the dome shape and presumably are building a roof over everything. I'm reconsidering how I finish mine as I am having remorseful thoughts about hiding the rounded shape of my oven completely. Still considering, but I'm inspired by your build. Also, I love your old pc lumber stand . Second life: Linux or holding lumber? Either will do, lol. (I'm a Linux nerd, while I see from screen shots you prefer Mac, which is also an excellent OS.)

Comment

• Originally posted by brad mole View Post
                        Next i started on the diagonal braces 150x45mm timbers with a visible diagonal length of 700mm. I was too impatient to wait til i could get into the workshop to make these so i made them at home, so opted to go full with tenon with no shoulder as i figured it wasn't essential and made the making of them easier.
                        I really like what you've done and you've given me some ideas for my own oven in addition to sharing the information about the pillar. So appreciated. Would be happy to see the pergola when its done!
                        Mike

Comment

• Started hand shaping some pegs, splitting rough oak and ash pieces then hand shaping with a chisel to a tapered octagon shape, then hand planing a final taper in, I then marked the point at which i want the peg to hit the stopped hole so i know when its pegged all the way home

Comment

• Measuring each one at the widest point that will be hammered in to make sure they are consistant. A tiring job making these but so satisfying when they finally got hammered in, and as a bonus i got a box full of oak and ash kindling!

Comment

• Starting to peg the first frame, such a satisfying feeling popping those pegs in! I Polyurethane glued the joints too which i know inst necessary but i thought why not

Comment

• First 2 frames pegged up and started chiseling out the next joints

Comment

Working...
                                X