Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

36" Pompeii Dome Chicago

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
    That is still up in the air a bit. I was going to buy one but they didn't ship this fat. I also looked in to a mason that builds ovens but i worry i won't get what i am hoping for. So for now i am thinking about getting the footing in place so i can move in any direction form there. It would be nice to have that in before the patio goes in.
    Yes then you can build the patio around it. I'm the same way when it comes to having someone do work for me. They have to care just as much as I do when it comes to their work ethic. Problem is most times we can do a better job than who we may hire but it just may take longer but I know Id be happy.
    My Build Pictures
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

    Comment


    • Yes that is exactly the problem i run into as well. I have gotten to the point where i can do pretty much anything around the house, and i can do as good or better than hiring someone that may not take pride in their work. As you know if you get stuck on a project at home all you have to do is go ask another tradesmen how they would handle situation xyz and they will generally tell you what to do. Or now you can just Google it. I am guessing that i will end up building myself to save money

      Comment


      • I couldn't have said it better myself.
        My Build Pictures
        https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

        Comment


        • My limestone arch and chimney cap were ready for pick up today so I installed them both. Finally no tarp on the chimney or anywhere on this structure. Chimney pipe finished storm collar installed . Limestone arch set and installed and I am very happy and received a "that looks fancy" from the boss! Today was a good day and I'm on the road to the end.

          Ricky
          My Build Pictures
          https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

          Comment


          • Fancy Indeed! Funny- I clicked on the first pic and thought "Oh, Chach has a legend inscribed on his oven". Then I read "Wonderboard lite"
            My build thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...h-corner-build

            Comment


            • Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
              Fancy Indeed! Funny- I clicked on the first pic and thought "Oh, Chach has a legend inscribed on his oven". Then I read "Wonderboard lite"
              Hahaha that's too funny. Funny enough I did have a blue stone sand blasted with a logo and some words that I'll be setting in with the stone when I install it. A guy in my area does some nice work and even paints and seals the piece. I'll take pictures of that when I install it.

              Ricky
              My Build Pictures
              https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

              Comment


              • I like the limestone arch. It looks very nice. What do you have going on with the strut and angle brackets. That seems like something i might do. Does it anchor the bottom to the oven? I can't wait to see the finished product.

                Randy

                Comment


                • Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                  I like the limestone arch. It looks very nice. What do you have going on with the strut and angle brackets. That seems like something i might do. Does it anchor the bottom to the oven? I can't wait to see the finished product.

                  Randy
                  Thanks Randy...The strut is to hold the sill in place until I stone up to it and then it will have something more solid to sit on. I'll leave the strut in there and hollow the stone out around it then I'll have double support. I did the same thing on the fireplace to support the thin pieces of limestone. I would have just used L brackets but I didnt want to anchor in the firebrick so I put a 1/4" drop in anchor in the hearth slab. You know us way overkill for support. LOL

                  Ricky
                  My Build Pictures
                  https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

                  Comment


                  • I hear you there. I normally like to over support things. I am sad i an no longer at the paper mill as we had lots of scraps of SS strut and that would be awesome as you would never have to worry about it rotting away.

                    As a side note i ordered the concrete and block for my base. But one of the patio guys i had come over said he would poor me a 8" slab with 5 peir supports and rebar in matching color to the patio for 200$ not sure i can pass that up. But would not happen till close to june unfortunately but would look more cohesive.

                    I also finished grouting my shower in our Master bathroom and milled the window jam extension and got them all installed and stained and polyurethaned and the trim on. Finally getting close to done. Now once everything opens up again I just need to get the wife to agree on a counter top for the vanity and that can be done. I hope you are keeping busy and safe.

                    Randy

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                      I hear you there. I normally like to over support things. I am sad i an no longer at the paper mill as we had lots of scraps of SS strut and that would be awesome as you would never have to worry about it rotting away.

                      As a side note i ordered the concrete and block for my base. But one of the patio guys i had come over said he would poor me a 8" slab with 5 peir supports and rebar in matching color to the patio for 200$ not sure i can pass that up. But would not happen till close to june unfortunately but would look more cohesive.

                      I also finished grouting my shower in our Master bathroom and milled the window jam extension and got them all installed and stained and polyurethaned and the trim on. Finally getting close to done. Now once everything opens up again I just need to get the wife to agree on a counter top for the vanity and that can be done. I hope you are keeping busy and safe.

                      Randy
                      SS Strut would be great but good thing is the struts only really needed until I stone it and the sill gets supported underneath. There was a few posts about pier construction with a slab on it..there were some cons on the piers and the slab moving differently during freeze thaw. I know I wanted to do this as well but aborted it. I think it would work though. Glad your finishing all these projects. Im getting many things done myself.

                      Ricky
                      My Build Pictures
                      https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                        I hear you there. I normally like to over support things. I am sad i an no longer at the paper mill as we had lots of scraps of SS strut and that would be awesome as you would never have to worry about it rotting away.

                        As a side note i ordered the concrete and block for my base. But one of the patio guys i had come over said he would poor me a 8" slab with 5 peir supports and rebar in matching color to the patio for 200$ not sure i can pass that up. But would not happen till close to june unfortunately but would look more cohesive.

                        I also finished grouting my shower in our Master bathroom and milled the window jam extension and got them all installed and stained and polyurethaned and the trim on. Finally getting close to done. Now once everything opens up again I just need to get the wife to agree on a counter top for the vanity and that can be done. I hope you are keeping busy and safe.

                        Randy
                        See this on some responses I received on the sono tubes https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ion#post403695
                        My Build Pictures
                        https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

                        Comment


                        • Yeah the guy was saying that the patio and slab would be separate from one another and that he has worked many times with a guy that builds outdoor fireplaces and the weight is about the same. So i am tempted to go with what he is saying as it sounds correct. He also has a awesome rating in all his reviews. As you know it is hard to find a contractor that has that. Also with having the patio dyed it would be nice to have the color the same so it doesn't look funky. I just don't want to have to do this over again so trying to do it right the first time.

                          Randy

                          Comment


                          • I will have to take a look at that. It is all so confusing and complicated for such a small simple thing. It should not be this hard.

                            Comment


                            • Finally some nice weather no rain. I was avle to make some progress on finishing up this project. Stone work is going up faster than ever. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel

                              Ricky
                              My Build Pictures
                              https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

                              Comment


                              • I was able to continue working on the stone. Doing a Dry stack looks so much better than having a mortar joint but sure takes a ton of time. I have the whole front and whole back 100% done. Hopefully I can finish the 2 upper sides tomorrow. Happy I was finally able to set my custom engraved stone.

                                Ricky
                                Last edited by Chach; 05-09-2020, 06:25 AM.
                                My Build Pictures
                                https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X