web analytics
Building 42 in Pompeii, any pearls regarding laying down 2 in FB BOARD beneath firebr - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building 42 in Pompeii, any pearls regarding laying down 2 in FB BOARD beneath firebr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also agree that an oven needs to breathe. Used in normal construction, brick and stucco are supposed to be porous. However, they are meant to be exterior walls, not roofing material. I think that we can waterproof them for our application as long as we give the oven another "lung" from which to breathe .
    Last edited by Gulf; 07-28-2018, 06:08 AM.
    joe watson

"A year from now, you will wish that you had started today "

My Build
    My Picasa Web Album

Comment

Agree. There are "waterproofing solutions" that are vapor permeable and vapor impermeable.

i just did a second coat of Thoroseal on my dome. The Thoroseal will shed liquid moisture, but will allow moisture vapor to pass through it. In essence, it'll minimize liquid water getting in to the structure, but when a fire is lit, it'll allow any excess moisture vapor to escape.

Id never recommend coating a shell with something vapor impermeable like RedGard.

Any of these ovens that are designed to be permanent will benefit from a roof overhead. The most carefully constructed shell can still suffer from a thermal crack. Or a freeze/thaw crack in winter.
      Mongo

My Build: Mongo's 42" CT Build

Comment

Working...
      X