Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation

I am about to insulate my dome. The dome will be enclosed, so I am planning 2"-4" fire blanket with either loose vermiculite or vermiculite portland mix. What is your opinion regarding using loose vermiculite of the mix?

Thank you

Michael

Everything I've read says pick the one that's easier or cheaper. If you're just filling up a space it's way easier to pour it in dry. If you need it to stay put like on an igloo you need cement unless you do some crazy hard form a hollow space construction. If you could pour it in but would need twice as much you can form a tighter space near the dome or just use cement and just put it on the dome. I dont think there is a right or wrong answer....but that's just what I've read.

Comment

I filled mine full of loose vermiculite and it worked great. It is east to do and provides a fair bit of extra insulation.

Randy

Comment

If the dome is going to be enclosed, loose vermiculite is the way to go.

Comment

Thank you all for your help/responses. I am ready to move forward as soon s the hurricane moves on!

Comment

Good luck and hope you fair well through Florence.

Comment

I put 2 layers of fire blanket and then i coat it with perlcrete.

Comment

If you are doing a enclosure then there is no need to do the perlcrete. That is just for a igloo style oven. Just build your enclosure and fill with loose vermiculite. If you can afford it you may want 3 " of blanket.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                X