Oven Build in Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Joe,

Like all new undertakings, once completed it seems logical, straightforward, and easy. However, while in the process its more like "what the best thing do I do now?" I appreciate the guidance and support. I will also crack a beer and see if I can stream a little Bobby McFarren!

All good,

Cory

Comment

Houston, The Dome is closed!

Following Gulf's advice, I mortared each brick, trying to eliminate the voids at the bottom. I dry fitted the course and mortared them individually while the rest of the un-mortared course was still in place. In this way I was successful in avoiding "mortar creep". With a couple of taps the keystone found it's home and I backfilled with a grout bag and putty knife.

Comment

Congrats on completing the dome
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Many thanks, Russell.

Comment

I dropped the platform and went after any gaps in the interior of the dome. Luckily, there were not many. I should have built a 42" dome, if only to give me another inch in the arch to fit through. It was a tight fit. I would have hated to do this in the summer.

I started the first curing fire at a low level, 200 degrees, using charcoal briquets. Once the visible signs of moisture are gone I'll crank up the heat over the following 10 days.

Comment

Looks really good! Folks always say nobody looks inside, but you probably will every time you are firing your oven and you check to see if the dome clears. Your workmanship will bring a smile to your face
              My build thread
              https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Thanks for the compliment JR. I appreciate it.

Comment

Great work lad! Ive just got to the same stage yesterday too. Shouldn't you be careful on the fires though? I thought best practice was to let it sit for a week to dry out naturally? Thats what Im gonna do. Your oven looks wayyy better than mine mind. Very neat brick work and construction.

Comment

Thank you! It was very satisfying to close the dome. Even more satisfying that the whole thing didn't collapse when I dropped the support!

Regarding the curing fires, I've seen people start them immediately, some cover them with the insulating blanket first and then start their curing fires. I'm starting with low level fires around 175 - 200 degrees F. using charcoal briquets. Once visible signs of moisture are gone all start cranking the heat over a 10 period. 300 degrees first day, 350 second, and so on up to full firing. I'll install the insulating blanket once the overt signs of moisture are gone. Many believe (and it makes sense) that the insulating blanket will allow the brick to warm uniformly, rather than a large temperature gradient between the inside of the brick and outside.

Onward to the exterior arch...

Comment

Sounds like a good curing plan. I progressed to hotter fires prior to putting on my insulation. Not sure that is the reason I have a crack in the back of my oven, but if I had it to do over again.....
                      My build thread
                      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

I'm taking a day off and working on the vent arch. Of course, the brick dimensions are not ending up where I want them to be, so I'll be making a few extra cuts. I have a question regarding the size of the vent opening. I know I saw a recommended vent opening area based upon the size of the oven, but I can't find it. I plan on using a 6" flue, should be adequate for a 36 inch oven. That has an internal area of 28.28 sq. inches. Am I ok with a vent opening of 50 sq. inches? It's rectangular, but I plan on squaring up the vent (similar to most other builds) with a few courses of brick to better transition to the chimney/flue. Just need to check with the experts, Utahbeehiver, Gulf, JRPizza, etc. for you educated opinion.

Many thanks,

Cory

Comment

Hi!
                          I am not an expert on this, but I had the same question. I actually called Duravent yesterday and spoke to a tech support person named Nick who was VERY helpful. He was familiar with dome shaped pizza ovens and he gave me the technical answers I was looking for. 800-835-4429

Dena

Comment

Thanks Dena!

Comment

6" is the recommended size for ovens 32-36" ID. So your current opening is plenty big
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Great. Thanks Russell!

Comment

Working...
                                X