No announcement yet.

37” Pompeii in SW ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great work on that so far! you have made it look effortless, im at the same stage as you and i understand how much work is involved until now! how are you going about your chimney transition, have you decided yet?

Comment

I've decided to make the vent completely separate and detached from the oven (not mortared in to the rest of the oven). I'm planning on putting some of my left over 1/4" insulation paper between the oven arch and having the vent arch rest on top of that with a 2" reveal. This means cutting the vent bricks into an L shape to fit over the oven opening arch. Hopefully it performs the way i want it to - allows for different thermal expansion between oven and arch.
      Currently trying to source a cheap duravent 3' chimney. I've got some time to find it though since I'm stuck in some -23 degree weather.

Comment

Things have started to warm up and dry out now that it is May so I’’m back at it! I’’ve built a form and started the vent arch.
        Last edited by jamel; 05-27-2019, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Almost done the arch. Only one more level so I can attach the anchor plate. Starting to think about metal studs and cement board for the enclosure.
          i’m doing Stone veneer for my oven cladding and I see some of the builds use red guard for waterproofing and some don’t. What is the consensus? Is some form of moisture barrier really necessary? I feel I would have a better bond to the cement board without a rubber membrane. Please advise!
          Last edited by jamel; 05-27-2019, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Looks very good! I like the chimney transition and I'm thinking of doing something similar with mine as well. Can't wait to see the rest.
            My Build Pictures
            https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Nice serpentine arch!
              My build thread
              https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Thanks! Any success I am having is because of all those that have gone before me. I have poured over this website for a long time - and have benefited from some of the truly spectacular builds and expertise of the members here.
                Which leads me to ask - Any advice on the waterproofing the cement board on the oven enclosure? I'm not clear if it is necessary

Comment

I’ve been a little distracted lately with building a fenced garden for the wife. But I’m back on track. I have changed my mind from the easy route of using solar lights on the oven to hardwiring it. This involved digging a 25 ft trench and having to come up under my completed 7””” pad. It took a bit of back work but we now have power to the oven.
                  On to framing the enclosure!
                  Last edited by jamel; 07-11-2019, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Started the enclosure after wrapping the oven with about 4” of insulation. Studs came pre cut to my custom sizes which saved me a whole lot of frustration.

Comment

Just finished prepping the roof for cedar shakes. I also have started to make a stainless peak flashing for the chimney. It’s proving to be more challenging than I thought. But on the bright side I’m learning how to braze or rather how not to! The pic of sheet metal is of the 10” tube portion laying flat that needs to be brazed to the peak flashing

Comment

Finally got the chimney installed with the peak flashing. This let me continue with the cedar shakes up to the ridge. I used copper sheet to cap off the ridge. It has been stressful always wondering if your tarps were still in place or had they shifted leaving all that hard work exposed to water damage . Fortunately I made it through and am now ready for whatever Mother Nature wants to throw at me .

Comment

Started curing fires this week. Fires were small and I followed the curing schedule. Unfortunately I still got a crack right in the middle of my oven opening arch when I was at the 500 temp zone. I won’t lie - it felt like a knife in my heart. It was a year and a half of careful planning, heat breaks, sweat and tears - and IT STILL CRACKED!!!
                          Well, dry my tears and move on

Comment

The learning curve keeps going. Tried our first pizza tonight and it was a flop - literally. Happily we figured it out how to get better results and they tasted great. Can’t wait to try all different possible dishes out of the oven. There is still lots of small and big things left to finish on the oven (like cladding it all in stone) but for now I want to enjoy what can come out of it. Thanks to all the great advice and support from this forum!! It wouldn’t have turned out as it did without you. Thanks so much

Comment

There are those who say their oven cracked and those who lie and say their oven did not crack. Kind of like a used car salesman. I made my share of accidental Calzones. Make sure you peel is well floured. A wood loading peel seems to work better. PS, seems once the ovens are workable, the finish work really slows down. My oven was completed in 2012 and still have a few things to finish.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

The stone veneer is taking way longer to install than I had originally anticipated. I had to wrap it up for winter because I didn’t get a chance to use pointing mortar and I was concerned any water getting behind the veneer would freeze and pop them off. So unfortunately this project is going into its 3rd year!?!

Comment

Working...
                                X