No announcement yet.

80cm dome, air chamber space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If building with brick units the dimensions are largely determined by the size of the bricks and how they can be arranged. Apart from casting there is a third option and that is to build the flue gallery from sheet metal. You can have brick sides with a sheet metal form placed on top. An inverted funnel is simple enough, although compound curves are difficult. The material needs to be on corrosive, probably stainless steel or copper would be the most suitable.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Lucag, building a non-standard oven almost requires figuring out every detail before you start, as you begin with multiple possibilities but every decision you make starts to constrain what you can do in the following steps.
      Do you know what you are going to use for a chimney? I would ask a smaller oven expert like David what size chimney you need to avoid smoke coming out the front of your oven. I don't know if you could go down to the equivalent of a 4" pipe, and don't know what sizes you can obtain locally. Then you need to decide if you want to use masonry or steel pipe, and if steel do you want/need double wall pipe (are you going through a roof or does code necessitate double wall)? Knowing pipe diameter will tell you the area of the pipe and help you figure out the minimum opening.
      I attached a picture of a vent design where I believe the inner arch is incorporated into the vent, allowing the vent to be much shorter. I can't remember if he was able to design a reveal into the vent so the door could rest against the inner arch, but it does show how you can shorten a vent. The builder was Amac and I put in a link to his build. His was one of the many I borrowed ideas from. Here is a link to his build
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...argate-pompeii
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Well I can buy any brick size or cut them any size I want for best result For the dome I was planning to use 23 x 11 x 6.4cm
        11cm will be the thickness of the dome.

what really puzzle me is why 1.5 bricks lenght for the entry are not enough in my case, and what is the correct measurement I should use. I am really keen on using bricks, using a diameter from 70cm to 80cm depending on available space, but is hard for me to do any progress because I don’t know what I am aiming for, like the ideal dimensions for my entry

Comment

You really need to do that accurate scale drawing of the side elevation.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi JRpizza, I see your post only now! I am based in London and I can find almost anything locally. Initial idea for the cimney was to go up with bricks and then 15cm pipe. I am open to anything that works for my case, do you have any suggestion? Thank you again for your help you guys are really a great community!

Comment

As I said, you should get David to weigh in on the proper pipe size, but 1.5 bricks should be plenty for a vent length. I may be wrong, but I think Russell was saying that 1/2 brick is/maybe too short at the bottom layer to make a proper inner arch, not that 1.5 will not make a satisfactory vent. Back before I started my build thread, I had a thread on hearth size where there is good discussion on placing the inner arch (linked below). You can see by the end of the thread I realized that there are a few inches where you can move the arch forward or back and still have the bricks tie in nicely, where rearward will move the vent closer to the dome and forward gives more oven internal space. I don't recall if you are going to try to build a hemispherical arch or a flat one, but all of my layouts were done with the former.
              Edit: I see you have figured out your pipe size, which should be plenty large for the oven you are planning. With a 1.5 brick vent you will end up with a rectangular opening that you will need to transition to square if you use a standard adapter. If you build yours similar to how I did mine you should have plenty of room.
              Totally stuck on hearth size, and forum problems are keeping me from looking at some images that I think might help me. I have laid out a 70X70 corner base, but space is at a premium so would like to shorten to a 62.5X62.5. I have a sketch but am not sure about how much room the vent/landing need. I am
              Last edited by JRPizza; 01-21-2019, 06:58 PM.
              My build thread
              https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

JR is correct on my suggestion of needing more than 1/2 bricks on tapered inner arches which I referred to in original post. This is what is shown on the pic.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

There is still hope then! Please see this quick edit from my previous plan.

1) inner arch is now full brick width
                  2) rear arch is gone

does it work in your opinion ?
                  this is for 70cm diameter but it feels like I can probably stretch it to 75cm tonight if I redraw everything

Comment

Here is a pic of the first course of a tapered arch, cut from a full brick, notice how the follows the arc of the ID of the dome.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hello! I did not have a lot of success designing a plan so I have decided to simulate it with bricks first and going back to the plan when I find something that works for me!
                      I have learn so much in these two months and cannot wait to start, but I am still without a solid construction plan.

I am really committed to make the 80cm diameter fit in my 137cm base, and to use bricks instead of casting.
                      I can consider casting the cimeney.

I would like a feedback on these dimensions for the smoke chamber / arcs, I know I am stretching the cord here.

My smoke chamber will rest on:
                      - the last 4cm of the internal arc
                      - the external arc will have a base of just 7cm.

Do you think it will work ?

Comment

Working...
                      X