Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cmendezg2000
    replied
    Hello Fstein , you can read my thread about the chimney if you have doubts like I had at the moment, maybe you can find some useful info in there.

I leave you the link to the post.

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ing-refractory

Regards

Leave a comment:

• Fstein
    replied
    Originally posted by david s View Post
    A week will give you around 70% of concrete strength depending on ambient temps, but there will still be lots of contained water that can be a big problem if eliminated too quickly.
    Although it takes all my ability to restrain myself, I will probably finish building the oven and leave it unfired. The next visitors here will come in May, it will be upon them to light the drying fires then.

Regarding the chimney attachment I will come back for confirmation later with some pictures.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    A week will give you around 70% of concrete strength depending on ambient temps, but there will still be lots of contained water that can be a big problem if eliminated too quickly. You might be lucky to get away with it, I wouldn't, but who knows. Click image for larger version

Name:	P2160559.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	863.7 KB
ID:	411407
    Regarding the flue fitting it is a good idea to allow for some expansion of the pipe because it will expand faster than the refractory that surrounds it. You can wrap some cardboard around the pipe, about 1 mm thick, build up around it and remove the cardboard after it's set.

Re lack of anchor plate, you can fir the flue pipe like this. It will also be supported higher up where it penetrates the outer shell. Do the cardboard trick again here and fill the space, after removing the cardboard with high temp silicon.
    Last edited by david s; 03-09-2019, 08:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fstein
    started a topic Looking for advice on how quickly I can finish my WFO

Looking for advice on how quickly I can finish my WFO

Hi all,
    This is my first post and I hope that I am in the right subforum for this kind of post. All the information here has been very helpful in my project so far but as always, some questions remain.
    So far I have built a base and cast a concrete top that now holds a half finished 35" brick igloo oven. I have built up four five rows and finished the entry arch, too.
    The situation that I causing me trouble is that I am nearing the end of a six week vacation I spend at this place where I am building the oven. I was initially planning to complete it in this time and I will not return here for at least half a year. This is why I am still very motivated to get it done in the remaining 9 days.
    I know that this is a very tight budget but I would still like to hear your feedback on how I can speed things up. Especially the curing makes me worried.

I am optimistic that I can finish the dome in the next two days, maybe even tomorrow. After that I would want to install the chimney and put on the isolation and stucco. The oven is outside without roof, so stucco is mandatory from my point of view.

What is the worst case scenario for me if I start using the oven after a week of wait for the cement products to cure?

I am aware of the obvious answers here and really looking for ways I can get out of this vacation with a pizza...

Also, another question for the Chimney installation: I was not able to source a mounting plate for it, so I am planning to create a short chase from brick and place the Chimney in refractory mortar. Will this work? Is there a better way?

Thanks for any feedback.
Working...
X