X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denamontini
    replied
    April 25, 2020

Here’s where the project stands. We still need to finish the top “countertop” and mosaic the upper 6” around the sides. We are keeping the dome “natural for now. We have a door being fabricated that may be done this weekend!

Most importantly though, this oven and my husband make really really great pizzas!

Leave a comment:

• Denamontini
    replied
    Scored some stone veneer scraps from a friend. Luckily for us there was just enough!

Leave a comment:

• Denamontini
    replied
    September 30, 2019

We applied another layer of Masterseal.

Leave a comment:

• Denamontini
    replied
    September 18, 2019

We became very popular amongst our friends and families! We were making pizzas— but the over looked terrible and wasn’t finished. I agree with everyone else on this blog. “If you start making pizzas before you finish the over— you will never finish it” ~ smart people on this blog

Leave a comment:

• Denamontini
    replied
    The QuikWall/Masterseal combo

Leave a comment:

• Denamontini
    replied
    May 24, 2019

We contemplated back and forth about waterproofing the over and we decided on Master Seal 582. We had to order it and it was delivered to our local Ace Hardware Store. This was a really easy solution. We mixed it up and applied it with a dry brush.

Leave a comment:

• Denamontini
    replied
    May 11, 2019
    We added our stainless steel double insulated chimney (that seemed way too big) and it works great!
    My husband made his very first pizza and it was a masterpiece!!!

Leave a comment:

• Denamontini
    replied
    May 1, 2019 we had a tiny fire— sorry that was before we did insulation...

Leave a comment:

• Denamontini
    replied
    My last post was May, 2019... here’s an update on what we’ve done...
    We ended up using QuikWall to form the shell of the oven over the insulation and wire. It was easy and has worked great! I think we did 2 applications of QuikWall— maybe 3. We actually couldn’t get the product in VA and so we had friends bring it down for PA.

Leave a comment:

• CoastalPizza
    replied
    I used QuickWall - the fiber reinforcing should cut down on cracking (too early to tell if this will be the case). You can see the fibers in the finished surface so you may want to have a different finish coat.

Leave a comment:

• Denamontini
    replied
    I am seriously considering just scrapping the vermiculite/concrete mix and getting the stucco on right away. What is the best recipe for the scratch coat? Has anyone used “QuickWall” as a stucco?

Please advise!!! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Denamontini
    replied
    Hi everyone. Long break... our refrigerator flooded our kitchen and well, we are distracted. This project needs to get done pronto. Here’s my progress...

Leave a comment:

• cbailey
    replied
    I forgot to add...I covered my dome with blanket before I completed the decorative arch. I wanted to start my curing fires, and as Russell and others have pointed out you are less likely to incur cracks in your dome if the insulation is installed. The idea is that the dome brick heats more uniformly. Once I went through a curing cycle I completed the deco arch. I only applied one layer of 1" blanket on the entry arch. My reasoning for only using one layer of insulation is that I don't want to retain heat in the entry way. I was able to cut the insulation slightly larger than the space and wedge it in. The pressure from the deco arch and dome insulation was more than adequate to hold it in place.

Leave a comment:

• cbailey
    replied
    Dena,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I Just finished the second layer of stucco/render yesterday. To answer your question, I did apply the first (scratch) coat directly over the blanket/chicken wire. Oddly enough, I thought the first application went more smoothly than the second application! Go figure?

When you apply the render make sure to use a trowel with rounded edges. A rectangular trowel will gouge your work as you try to smooth it. Spray the render with water to keep it workable. Once it starts to set up you will want to scratch the surface so that the second coat will adhere better. I used an 18 inch scrap of 1x2 with four 6 penny box nails driven through it at about 1.5 inch separation. A stucco comb, if you will. Scratch about 1/8 inch deep. You don't want to go through the layer. You are just giving the second coat something extra to adhere to.

Use a garden sprayer to help moisten the scratch layer when you apply the second layer. As it starts to set up use a sponge float to smooth out the ridges and trowel marks and to provide a nice stucco look.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    2" of ceramic fiber blanket plus a 2-3" of vcrete (6-8 to 1) should be great for multi day cooking. I made a curve shape trowel to help with keeping the vcrete smooth. Be sure to leave a vent at the apex of the dome to allow water vapor to migrate out. The breather vent will screw into a 1/2" NPT PVC or Brass or Galv Fitting. The breather vent are available at any car supply place for 5 bucks or so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X