840mm dome arch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 840mm dome arch question

Afternoon all, i started a dry test run on my first course today, my question is do I build the arch then tie the dome into this or do I just carry on with the dome and build the arch after? I'll upload some pics when I figure out too. Thanks.

I found it easier to tie into the arch vs the other way around. Are you doing a tapered inner arch? This is the best way to make the arch for the smoothest arch to dome transition. Pic size is limited to about 1 to 1.25 mg and about 5 pics per post. There is a little camera icon upper left corner of where you write your post that allows you to attach JPEG files
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks UtahBeehiver, yeah I'm going to do a tapered inner arch, I'll crack on with the arches and see how I get on.I'll try and get some pics, I think my camera is to high resolution

Comment

Comment

I've never mixed concrete or done any building work whatsoever so go easy on me, how does it look? Am I on the right track? Is there anything that I should be doing different? Thanks

Comment

Hi, do you plan to use just one full brick for the entrance chamber? I am asking because I am doing the same e I was a little worried that I would not be enough.

We are more or less at the same stage and It looks very similar to mine. (but I am not sure if this is a good think or not, I am no expert) The only difference is that my internal arch base slightly bigger then just half bricks.

I am building a pretty small oven, 70cm diameter

Comment

Some photos for reference

Comment

Hi, im sure it will be ok ,I've seen quite a few with half brick for inner arch and a full brick for outer arch, I did a bit more today, I'm using a block splitter for doing the half bricks so not the prettiest on the back face but it'll be covered up I'm not bothered, what are you cutting your bricks with? I went through 7 diamond discs just doing the floor lol,

Comment

I used a whole brick as first course for the half brick arch

Comment

23cm diamond blade. Only replaced one so far and I did the whole support structure in bricks as well.

The one I am using now is actually fo tiles and concrete, £11 from Screfix but works decently

Comment

Just a heads up, as you move up in courses, unless you do some type of side bevel, you will start to see what we call an inverted "v" on the brick joints, you do not need do a complete side bevel, just where the two inside faces conflict. Attached is a build that show inverted "v"s
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks utahbeehiver but ive already got the inverted v ,going to fill the gaps . Lucas I've sorted the cutting, I wasnt soaking the bricks but now I am it's much easier

Comment

Made some progress today.I've only just grasped the tapered arch method, when I read about the tapered arch I presumed it meant the bricks in the arch were tapered to make the arch lol, so Lucas i dont know if a half brick could be tapered for the transition, I lucked out and the 6th course tied into the arch not too difficult

Comment

Working...
                          X