Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adamk
    replied
    Thanks for the reply, in fact the WFO is being built next to the seaside where the temperature doesn’t really get below 0 degrees Celsius. Using firebricks outside can be tricky as you say as they absorb water easily ( maybe a sealer could help ). I wouldn’t mind using normal bricks but I can’t seem to find them in a matching color with the firebricks that is why I thought of using them. Now coming to the buttressing, the more I read on the forum the more i conclude that I should really do it, but how to do it Is another issue. I think I need to get some opinions from the experts as this is my first build and I am not very familiar with masonry, ( it’s a miracle I’ve got so far ).
    And finally I think that i posted in the wrong section to start with! but I realized afterwards and I don’t know how to move my post that should be in the Pompeii oven construction ...

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Welcome to the forum! It's a great community of expert builders (and novices like me)!

I was told that I should buttress my arch before building a masonry chimney. I was also advised to not use firebricks in any external application, as they soak up water more than standard house bricks. I do have some exposed firebricks in my arch and landing and I am hoping that it will be ok.. From your pictures it looks like you may not experience as many freeze/thaw cycles as I will in Kansas, USA so it might not be as big of an issue for you??

I hope someone with a little more knowledge on buttressing will answer your question, as you are planning on using bricks cut in half, so that will cut the weight in half as well.

Leave a comment:

• Adamk
    started a topic Do I need to buttress my side walls?

Do I need to buttress my side walls?

First of all ( since this is my first post )I would like to thank all the people here for the knowledge they share.
    Coming to my dilemma, do you think I might need buttressing for my wood oven ? The dome is 36” and I am planing on building a 3 feet round brick chimney with a 6” ss pipe inside using firebricks cut in half ( lengthwise ).
    i would like to avoid it if possible mainly for aesthetics.. but I do understand there will be quite some extra weight on the two arches.
    Looking forward to hearing your opinions..
Working...
X