Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hortonville WI - Homebrew cast WFO over sand form

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Insulation application. I went with rockwool to save money. 3" around the side and 6" on top of the dome.


    Chicken wire in place
    Last edited by arnesr; 12-18-2019, 10:32 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Forming my concrete countertop


      Wanting a rounded edge, I used 2 1/2" PVC as a form. I screwed the pipe to a 2x4 and ran it down the middle with a table saw to create my form pieces


      I mitered two of the corners to give me a more subtle edge.


      Countertop mix: 1 part Portland cement, 2 parts sand, 1 part gravel chips with an ounce or so of fiberglass fibers. I was going to use pea gravel, but my local quarry did not stock pea gravel. Since I wasn't doing exposed aggregate I figured the chips would work just as well, and perhaps add strength with the jagged edges. For the color, I just tried to be consistent with each batch and used about a cup and a half for each batch. I used a 2 gallon pail to measure the other ingredients.
      Last edited by arnesr; 11-06-2019, 10:12 AM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Counter poured


        Forms removed


        My edges are not perfect and I have some bug holes to fill, but overall I am pleased with how it turned out. I will need to polish a bit yet and seal at some point.

        Comment


        • #19
          Smoke hole, removed insulation to prepare for sand mound.


          The chute coming up through the hollow cores below was dammed up and filled with sand to create a mound around the smoke door opening. Here you can see a small part of the sand mound before I added a few more clumps of homebrew mix before I covered it up and smoothed it out.
          Last edited by arnesr; 10-31-2019, 01:23 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Adding a layer of vermiculte concrete mix. I made a rather crude curved trowel tool to help with the initial layup at the base.




            Render done for this season. I will add a sand layer in the spring to smooth it out before painting to seal it up.
            Last edited by arnesr; 11-11-2019, 03:19 PM.

            Comment


            • #21
              The plan is to leave the chimney removable at least over this winter so the whole oven can be covered with a tarp.


              Oven wrapped and covered with an electric blanket to cure. Cold weather is on the way.


              Whew, that was close. 10/29 first accumulated snowfall of the season. That is about 3-4 weeks early from normal. Glad I have my oven this far and hopefully usable in week or so.

              Comment

              Working...
              X