No announcement yet.

42” build in Port Renfrew Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys ! I found some 2 inch thermo 12 gold. It’s a cal sil product I belive that other guys liked. Very excited on the project, heading to Vancouver tommorow to pick up firebricks and insulating blanket. Here’s a photo of the slab we are just polishing. I put in 8 1/2 inch copper pipes for weep holes.

Comment

Thanks for the info on raising the dome on the insulation gulf , I didn’t realize to do that. I will now. I’m picking up my bricks tommorow for the floor and oven dome, im planning on a 42 inch interior diameter oven. Do you think 210 will do it ?
      Also going to order the FB blanket and wondering about amounts to order. I’m planning on 3 inches of blanket followed by perlite concrete on top, then a layer of stucco. Will be finishing the outside of the dome with a tile mosaic. Also will have a raised steel roof covering the whole area.
      Any thoughts on how much FB blanket to order and perlite to pick up would be appreciated !

Comment

You’re welcome. That’s what a lot of us hang around here for after our builds. Just paying it forward. On the thermogold 12, make sure that it is the solid board. Some is scored to make it easier to wrap large diameter pipe.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hello all, first time poster and planning to build a 42" oven here in PEI, Eastern Canada. I'd love to hear where you got the thermo 12 gold board from, and how it works out. I'm finding it impossible so far to source either ceramic board or CaSi board in Eastern Canada. Also, what high heat mortar will you use?

Thanks to all the experts on here. It's a great resource. Pouring over the posts this past week has helped take the mind off this bloody virus!

Comment

Padraig Hello!
            i got almost all of my sources out of Brock White. Check out their website. The sales man I talked to had never heard of thermo 12 gold , but they carried it on the website and where able to order for me
            I got my bricks out of B.C. bricks in Vancouver for 1.50$ a brick, but if your on the east coast that won’t help you. I would look for used bricks from someone’s chimney maybe ?
            I am using a product from Brock White that’s a high heat mortar. I belive it’s Vesuvius. Anyways I’m just about completing my dome and arch just ran out of mortar. Had so much fun with it and this website is a life saver. I also found some YouTube videos they have online you should check out. I will try to figure out how to post pictures soon. Good luck any questions let me know !

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
              Hello all, first time poster and planning to build a 42" oven here in PEI, Eastern Canada. I'd love to hear where you got the thermo 12 gold board from, and how it works out. I'm finding it impossible so far to source either ceramic board or CaSi board in Eastern Canada. Also, what high heat mortar will you use?

Thanks to all the experts on here. It's a great resource. Pouring over the posts this past week has helped take the mind off this bloody virus!
              I am building one in Halifax, Nova Scotia
              I found Thermo 12 board (Calcium silicate) with a company called crossroads C&I in Dartmouth. They don't have it available in stock but they can order some.
              Although, I end up buying it from Edmonton and my brother shipped it to me.

Comment

Thermo Gold 12 is just a brand name CaSi board. Any board made of CaSi or AlSi will suffice as long as it has similar compression (min 75 PSI) and K value. I used Thermo Gold 12 but there are several other brands out there as well. Like any CaSi board, it will readily absorb water so you have to design your build to mitigate water ingress, Wet insulation is one of the most common oven performance issue.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys
                  I ended up putting a bunch of half inch copper pipes through my slab for drainage. Then put the cal sil on top of tile.
                  I’m just getting ready to start laying out the chimney arch.
                  I have built a 42 inch oven and am planning on using a 6 inch chimney as I already have one from a cabin I removed.
                  I’ve been scrolling around quite a bit for designs and was wondering if anyone has a good thread on designs for a brick arch to anchor plate they could point me to. Cheers !

Comment

6" ID chimney is too small a diameter for a 42". Forno Bravo plans recommend an 8" ID chimney. You might be able to squeeze by with a 7" on a 42" but will require a longer length chimney.
                    Russell

Comment

Thanks
                      I thought that might be the case. I’ll check with the supplier and pick up a 8”anchor plate instead. I hope everyone is getting by with the pandemic ok. It’s been a good time to build a oven.

Comment

Thanks again Utah. I have a 8” anchor and 15’ chimney coming up. I haven’t been able to find any definite info on the arch opening. If my chimney is 8” am I ok to make the opening in my arch 8x8” or do I have to go larger and try to funnel it up to the anchor plate ?

Comment

You should be good with an 8 x 8 but transition up "smoothly". The chimney vent opening should have at least the same square inches as the opening of the chimney so 8 x 8 equal 64 sq in and 8 ID chimney is 3.14 x 4 x 4 = 50.24 sq in.
                          Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 04-10-2020, 07:39 AM.
                          Russell

Comment

Hey Gulf and Utahbeever
                            I never got a chance to say thank you for all your help. The oven has turned out spectacularly. I can’t belive the joy we are getting from it and the quality of pizza, pitas, roasts and breads we make weekly. Will post photos of the build shortly. This website saved me, We ended up with such a quality oven, and it’s beautiful to look at, with zero prior knowledge of pizza ovens before hand. Thanks again everyone

Comment

You are very welcome! And thank you for the feedback. We are looking forward to pics of the build, the finished oven, and.....oh yeah.....some "food pron"
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Port Renfrew! I've been there many, many years ago. Beautiful spot.
                                My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                                My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Working...
                                X