No announcement yet.

East London pizza oven and grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am merely pointing the key design factors that a builder needs to factor in when designing an IT that gives the builder the best options for building and flexibility. If yours works for you then great. The forum is here to guide builders with the best options from hundreds of designs we see annually whether they are simple or complex. Like I mentioned, some of the offsets cause alignment error that are cumulative over each course and need to be adjusted for accordingly, hence an adjustable IT helps in this case.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

This is the great thing about this site, everyone needs guidance and there is always someone about to help.

Thank you.
      My 32" oven, grill & smoker build https://community.fornobravo.com/for...oven-and-grill

Comment

Neil.B Really happy for you! You're making great progress and really like how the space is shaping up! Your build is interesting and I'm wondering if the shape of the dome is intentional to fit the space? I only ask because I am embracing my own imperfections in my own build and recognizing from many that they are not the type that will hurt your ability to cook well. Of course - none of us want to have our ovens collapse! And I don't see that for either of us - but I think we have to give ourselves - many first masons - permission to have variances! Enjoying following your build and thank you for input and support on mine!
        You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Baza
          I originally planned on a 36" and done a 48" base but didn't consider the Thermolite walls, i ended up with a 32". I could of extended the hearth forward more to allow for a 36" but didn't want to take up more room under the pergola.
          There should be enough room for two layers of 1" blanket around the bottom course's before I hit the walls. The Thermolite walls are a good insulator so should retain the heat ok. The walls will be built up to the roof, so the oven will be fully enclosed. A few inches up the gap widens and all void spaces will be filled with vermiculite.
          The dome looks low compared to the arch as my arch is 19"*12", so the ratio is 75%. I decided on 19" wide as this is the size of my large roasting tin. I belive a 32" oven arch height should be around 10.5", but i felt this was to low so went with 12" instead. Once I start cooking I will know if this was a mistake.
          If the above didn't answer you question, what do you mean by fit the space

Neil
          Last edited by Neil.B; 09-03-2020, 12:31 AM.
          My 32" oven, grill & smoker build https://community.fornobravo.com/for...oven-and-grill

Comment

Yeah! Totally answers my question - really interesting build.
            I was just wondering if the tight space around the dome was dictating the shape/build vs the other way around - but I should know better that you have had the whole beauty planned out!
            I really like the set up and it is inspiring to see your work come together.

Fingers crossed for a weekend of arch building, course closing and the like!
            Thanks for the ideas!
            Barry

Comment

A few more laid this afternoon.

Comment

Almost there! The build is looking nice! I believe you said you were going to "box" in the dome and insulate. Do you plan to insulate with a v/p mix or are you thinking that you will backfill with loose material between the dome and outer shell? (I apologize if you've covered this already.. maybe I missed it in an earlier thread?) Excited to see the next progressions!

Comment

Ope-dog I bought 600ltr of vermiculite off Facebook market place for the price of 100ltr, so plan on loose between thermal blanket and shell/box/enclosure (what ever it's called).
                  I'm trying to build as close to £0 as possible, so the largest voids will have plastic or glass bottles to save wastage of the vermiculite. The outside shell and under cooking floor are thermolite blocks which I belive are very good for their thermal properties (hence their name), i haven't come across any posts on here or the Internet for the same setup, so interested to see the outcome.
                  I've only got a narrow landing, so the chimney will be the next experiment, then smoker and grill.
                  Last edited by Neil.B; 09-14-2020, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Disappointed in myself for not getting more done at the weekend
                    Not completely circular and needed a mixture of shapes to get the bricks to fit...i wish i cut the bricks better from day one.

I love the shape of the dome, it's a shame it will be covered.

Tried to get a picture of the inner arch and ended up with a selfie, i couldn't stretch my arm, balance the phone and smile all at the same time

I'm actually very happy with the build so far, especially the inner arch and transition to brick courses...it's messy but mine

Comment

Next up the keystone. Congratulations in advance for closing the dome. your arch-transition is indeed especially nice. Inspiring how you managed to line up the arch bricks with the dome courses. If that would be teachable and repeatable, I’d say it should become the standard.

Comment

yea - Neil!
                        Well done, mate!
                        You have done a great job and must be satisfying closing the dome! Tough slogging and it looks good!
                        Best line for all builders so far, "it's messy but mine"! Gives us all permission to embrace our off moments in our builds - the ones that make our ovens bespoke!

Whole build is really taking shape!
                        You're making a very special place - keep it up!
                        Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Neil.B View Post
                          Disappointed in myself for not getting more done at the weekend
                          Not completely circular and needed a mixture of shapes to get the bricks to fit...i wish i cut the bricks better from day one.

I love the shape of the dome, it's a shame it will be covered.

Tried to get a picture of the inner arch and ended up with a selfie, i couldn't stretch my arm, balance the phone and smile all at the same time

I'm actually very happy with the build so far, especially the inner arch and transition to brick courses...it's messy but mine
                          I know the igloo dome shape is very cool to look at. Wish I was able to keep mine as well but with our weather here it was a safer choice to enclose it. I still look at my build pictures to look at the dome from time to time. I'm not sure that will ever end lol.

Ricky
                          My Build Pictures
                          https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Originally posted by Kvanbael View Post
                            Next up the keystone. Congratulations in advance for closing the dome. your arch-transition is indeed especially nice. Inspiring how you managed to line up the arch bricks with the dome courses. If that would be teachable and repeatable, I’d say it should become the standard.
                            Thank you. It was very complicated as some bricks (arch and corresponding course) had multiple angles. There probably is an easy way to calculate the angles but that's too complicated for me .
                            The red lines show some of the angles for one brick, it actually had a couple more the other side where it met the angled arch brick.

My bricks are 12" long and I'm thinking of making the keystone out of multiple pieces to make it more interesting. I'll probably cement them all together to make a circle, then transfer to the oven once dried.

Last edited by Neil.B; 09-15-2020, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baza View Post
                              yea - Neil!
                              Well done, mate!
                              You have done a great job and must be satisfying closing the dome! Tough slogging and it looks good!
                              Best line for all builders so far, "it's messy but mine"! Gives us all permission to embrace our off moments in our builds - the ones that make our ovens bespoke!

Whole build is really taking shape!
                              You're making a very special place - keep it up!
                              Barry
                              Not quite closed off yet...but not long

Comment

Originally posted by Chach View Post

I know the igloo dome shape is very cool to look at. Wish I was able to keep mine as well but with our weather here it was a safer choice to enclose it. I still look at my build pictures to look at the dome from time to time. I'm not sure that will ever end lol.

Ricky
                                I'm thinking of having the build pictures printed and put in the summerhouse. That way I can bore everyone at parties

Comment

Working...
                                X