Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edonovan
    replied
    Quick clarification question…I’ve read that the pecrete takes a bit to dry…I did my drying fires and have cooked pizza, I was hoping to cook pizza again this weekend but was wondering if I should wait to continue with my pecrete layer till after I cook? Basically do I need to go through another drying session once the pecrete layer is on? Or am I good to go to pizza temps even if I have laid the pecrete?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Another alternative to having an exposed vent at the top of the oven is to ask moisture to exit through the flue pipe. By drilling a number of holes in the base of the flue pipe that is surrounded by insulation, moisture will find its way to the base of the pipe and exit with the smoke. See pic for explanation

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0063.jpeg
Views:	564
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	447864
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Originally posted by edonovan View Post
    Gulf The bushing/receiver does run down to the blanket and you just lay the pcrete around it though correct? And I agree with your feeling on the plastic, thank you.
    No. Not the way I do it. The Bushings that I use are not long enough to reach the blanket through the v/pcrete. In my opinion the vent should be as high as possible to allow for moisture to escape via steam or evaporation. I leave a large hole through the v/pcrete at the apex of the dome. My trademark size is that of a 12 ounce Budweiser lol. I use a full can as a form when applying the v/pcrete. The hole is later filled with blanket scraps. So, actually, I bring the blanket up to the receiver. The screen wire in the pic keeps the stucco from reaching and plugging the opening of the receiver. The mesh underneath the screen wire was cut to fit the opening just as a little extra support. I hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Seems like one of the old timer builders used DryLock, maybe Les from Reno or Lake Tahoe area. He said it worked great for the snowy climate he is in. But it could of been an elastomer stucco too. Can't be sure, you might have to blog search.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-13-2022, 06:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• edonovan
    replied
    Gulf The bushing/receiver does run down to the blanket and you just lay the pcrete around it though correct? And I agree with your feeling on the plastic, thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    ........I ordered one from the Big A store and picked up the metal one from my auto parts store and just see which one I like better both from a cosmetic aspect and function and ease to lock into some chicken wire under my pcrete......
    I advise the plastic. In case there is an accident, of some kind, it could break away without causing damage to the oven's outer shell. Plastic can be painted for cosmetic reasons imo.

The vent itself is not usually locked into anything. The receiver (a 1/2" to 3/8" bushing) is. And, it should be locked into the stucco layer. Note my pic in post #182. In that pic, this design, is just laying on top of the perlcrete. The mesh can be securely embedded in the stucco layer. The receiver is locked to the mesh with two 1/2" electrical conduit locknuts.
    Last edited by Gulf; 07-13-2022, 05:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• edonovan
    replied
    UtahBeehiver and Gulf Thank you…I ordered one from the Big A store and picked up the metal one from my auto parts store and just see which one I like better both from a cosmetic aspect and function and ease to lock into some chicken wire under my pcrete.
    trying to get my supplies together for moving along as I do finish one part and me being under a bit of a time crunch for having it aesthetically ready for my wife’s birthday in early August . Anyone use drylock for a “waterproof” paint over their stucco finish? Good? Bad?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Most auto supply stores or the Big A store carry what are called hydraulic breather caps with plastic ones around 10 bucks. The plastic will not melt, it is not exposed to high dome temps since it only needs to penetrate to the outer layer of the ceramic blanket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	breather vent.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.9 KB ID:	447835

Leave a comment:

• Sixto
    replied
    Originally posted by edonovan View Post
    Gulf so very little pressure towards the blanket…gotcha.
    Different question…having a heck of a time finding a breather vent that has been discussed in other builds, especially a plastic one…I’d love to stay away from metal....
    Won't plastic melt? I'm making mine out of clay, sort of a sculptural upside down cup over a smaller spout that breathes out vapor and sheds rain. Sixto, Minneapolis

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    3/8" is just fine imo. The ID of the bushing allows for a larger opening when the vent is not inserted. I leave the vent off during the initial drying fires. The bushing in the pic is for a 3/8" vent and is made of brass.

Leave a comment:

• MarkJerling
    replied
    The nicest breather vent I've been able to find locally is this: (It's USA made, so make google your friend.)

Morrison 155 tank breather vent 3/4 inch NPT(F) cast aluminium with 2 x stainless steel screens

Leave a comment:

• edonovan
    replied
    Gulf so very little pressure towards the blanket…gotcha.
    Different question…having a heck of a time finding a breather vent that has been discussed in other builds, especially a plastic one…I’d love to stay away from metal but it is what my local place has after stopping at several other auto stores…my only concern is that it is 3/8…is this too small? My ideal is to see if I can make it work by threading it into some pvc embedded in pcrete and if the breather ever gets rusty…I can just swap it out.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    I use a marginal trowel to apply the v/pecrete. Compress downward and outward against the curved trowel.

Leave a comment:

• edonovan
    replied
    UtahBeehiver, Gulf and david s Thank you for the tips and guidance…I have some aluminum I can probably use and see how it goes…I had a layer of flashing up 6” from the bottom of my oven so I’ll just be starting where it is just insulation and chicken wire…it is my understanding that I just want to firmly set this against the blanket…not compress or push in too much, correct?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    On this last one. I did not use a curved trowel. The hearth was poured to the pre-determined size. I just used the swing arm to shave it back to shape. The reclaims were put right back into the next mix.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X