Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edonovan
    replied
    Slow and steady...been taking my time to get this part just right and figuring out how to engrave my keystones...ended up just free handing with a Dremel. Cleaned up the inside with some vinegar water, made a small batch of mortar for point and tucking some spots... Thought I got stuck inside 1 time, but just needed to "shimmy" a little further in and drop a shoulder...not going to lie...and I may be weird for this...but I could just stare at the inside of this oven...to be completely closed and see all the individual bricks and the learning and "labor of love" that has gone into it..."I'm not crying, your crying" lol...

Next, I need to make a new form for outer arch...I am going for the little bit of flared opening...after playing around with some bricks, it does seem like it might be a bit more work than just going straight out, but I think it will look nice and add a nice touch for aesthetics.

I have a little leveling of the floor bricks to fix, probably just "sand" with another brick and continue to test run a peel over it before I start building my outer arch...

I did have 1 question as I was laying in there looking around, I noticed that I have either voids or lack of mortar on the inside edge where my "first" (technically second") course meets the floor, I am not sure if I just missed this or didn't want to get a bunch of mortar on the floor bricks or some spots my cardboard is slightly in the way. Not sure if I need to take the time to tuck these spots? could be a little daunting based on how to get in the oven and all, but willing to take the time if it needs to be done. Let me know thoughts on this, I don't think it is a structural problem as much as it may be a pretty good heat loss. I could send a better picture if anyone needed one for better reference.

Thank you again so much everyone that has contributed tips/tricks/and just telling me to get over it and don't over think it, you guys have been great!!! More picture will follow as I move along with outer arch.

Leave a comment:

• MarkJerling
    replied
    None of it matters of course - unless you stick your head in the oven, you're not going to see it. But then, some of these ovens are so pretty, I can understand that you may want a single neat keystone.

Leave a comment:

• fhausback
    replied
    That's exactly what i did. My plug was 2 bricks wide, and 2 deep. I haven't fired it yet, but i stood on it, and seems solid.

Be sure of your fit, once you get those first two in there, they are not coming out. I cut mine on the tight side, and they are about 1/8" above the next row by the time mortar was in the joint. When i realized it, there was no getting them out without cutting.

Leave a comment:

• edonovan
    replied
    Sorry, to elaborate a bit more after I thought about it…I guess my plug will actually be 4 piece. The first two (my wonderful art work) will be tapered and lay flat (thin side) so only 2” thick, then I will do it again perpendicular to the other joint. Any reason not to do it this way? From what I am thinking and reading, as long as I am tapered and get a good seat it should be good?

Leave a comment:

• edonovan
    replied
    Ok, thanks and yes if I remember your two pice top and bottom (horizontal)? And just for a very rough visual representation in what you mean vertical is two tapered bricks side by side…this is what I have in my head.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I made a 2 piece plug but it was horizontal rather than vertical but my bricks were also 6" wide rather than 4" as well but I have seen two piece vertical plugs done by other builders with no adverse affect as long as there is a slight taper top to bottom.

Leave a comment:

• edonovan
    replied
    Slow going, but almost closing!! Question, I have seen a couple builds with 2 piece keystone/plugs…any reason not to do this route? My approx opening right now is 5” x 5” so I feel a two piece plug is the best way rather then trying to shim up the opening more to accommodate a smaller plug. And I feel getting another “row” would just be more of a headache.
    Let me know thoughts on the two piece.
    and some other update pics…yes the 1 joint that lines up frustrates me too.

Leave a comment:

• SableSprings
    replied
    Check with any general hardware store in your area for stove gasket kits (or do a search online). The roll of boiler tape you pictured would certainly work, but seems like you'll end up with more than you need...

p.s. We routinely delete those links to commercial sites as a forum policy & as a courtesy to our Forno Bravo web hosts.

Leave a comment:

• edonovan
    replied
    lets try this...

Leave a comment:

• edonovan
    replied
    Taking input.... does this seem reasonable and sufficient for in-between my entry floor and oven floor? in addition to putting it around where my entry arch meets inner arch?
    Thanks
    PS Tried attaching link...didn't work, so just copy
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 01-22-2022, 10:59 AM. Reason: Removed commercial link

Leave a comment:

• edonovan
    replied
    yes, I was aware of the pcrete or vermiculite on top of the blanket, I just have read more of 3" on the blanket...Good to hear about it being uncommon to repair inside...I think that answers my dilemma of starting the outer arch. also good to know about the early smokiness. And already have plans on going VERY slow on my fires. Thanks again for all the insight.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    As I mentioned, I also added 3" of 8 to 1 pcrete so equivalent dome insulation is about 3.5" of CaSi. It is uncommon to have to repair inside of brick ovens from curing if the dome was constructed correctly (they are pretty much self supporting.) that does not mean you won't get cracks but in most cases minor to moderate cracks are left as is. Key to curing and minimizing problems is a SLOW cure. Also, new ovens have a tendency to be smoky for several fires.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 01-17-2022, 07:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• edonovan
    replied
    Thanks UtahBeehiver , so 100 sqft should get me... you feel the 2" was adequate insulation rather than 3"? Also, just to expand on my original question....how often is it that one would have to make any "repairs" internally in the curing process? I figure if I had to it would be easier without my outer arch, but also don't want to just make a smoke cloud in my outdoor kitchen if I don't have to, and if I can start working on outer arch and chimney while last layers are being set and drying then that could be knocking out two birds.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I had a roll of 4' x 25' x 1" and installed two layers. There was a small amount left but not much and my oven is a 42" I also installed 3" of 8 to 1 pcrete over the blanket as well. You could do some low level cures, ie briquettes (cook a dutch oven while you at it) this gets you around 200 F. but be sure the dome is insulated prior to any curing.

Leave a comment:

• edonovan
    replied
    Thank you MarkJerling !
    I do have some "preparation" questions for whomever can chime in. I want to start ordering some of my other supplies (blanket and chimney). Anyone know if 50sqft on the blanket is enough for a 42" oven or is it a lot?
    I found a place to order the blanket and have two options 1" thick @ 50sqft or 1.5 thick at 34 sqft. I figure why not just do two layers rather than 3...obviously if 34sqft is going to cover it.
    the second question I feel like I know the answer but going to ask anyways...is it best practice to just wait for drying fires until vent/outer arch and chimney are all in place? Or should I run a couple drying fires to see if there are any issues internally (I figure easier to access and fix) and then move forward with arch/chimney?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X