42 Inch Pompeii Build Eagle Idaho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 Inch Pompeii Build Eagle Idaho

Hi All, This is my second build and although I used this forum extensively and took full advantage of many of your priceless advice, pictures, designs, etc., I didn't post anything about my first build here. This time though I hope to pay it forward. I know a lot on this site has changed since my first build 8 years ago and I hope this helps at least one person with one step in their build. I did lots of research on the first build and decided to use Boylanta's design which I'm very thankful I did. Although every step took me (amateur diy guy) a long time to understand, I eventually figured out why his design was so good many times well after I completed the step. Anyway, I had to move from the house I built the first Pompeii at a few years ago and miss my oven so much and all the extra friends I had because of it. Anyway just wanted to thank all of you very belatedly for being there 8 years ago and welcome all of your ideas again as I attempt to do my second build.

Welcome (back) John! I look forward to watching your build as you incorporate the learning from before and the new ideas you have now!
    Best of luck on your next steps - this should be interesting as you KNOW what is in front of you!
    I appreciated (as a newbie) people like you who wanted to share for the sake of others' learning - that is what got my shovel in the ground to start my own!
    Happy building!
    Barry
    You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Thank you so much Baza. I've been working weekends I'm not fishing so not lightning speed here, but very thankful for my wife that has helped a lot this time.

Comment

I decided to clear out more ground for the base than I needed to eventually put a colonial style fireplace and possibly another bbq in between that and the pizza oven. I also made a spot for an existing Texas style offset smoker. It is about 10 inches deep to allow for 4 inches of compacted road mix and the 6 inch concrete pour with 1/2 inch rebar spaced about 10 inches on center. Might be overkill, but I mostly did it myself so what the hell.

Comment

No the base is poured. Next step is to setup cinder block dry to know where the 1/2 in holes go for the vertical rebar which are roughly every other core of the cinder block. The pizza base needs to be about 70 by 80 inches, but mine is much bigger for the other projects.

Comment

This is after the 3rd course of Cinder including the 3/8 inch by 2 inch angle iron to support the wood storage opening below the 4th course.

Comment

This is the cinder block finished and now ready for the form of the structural hearth. Last pour I used cement board just held up by 2 x 4's under, but this time I took the time to cut the 1/2 inch ply and support with 3 braces. the two on the left and right are 2 x 4 and the one in the middle is 2 x 6. There are two pieces of ply I hope to just pull out of the hole later.

Comment

Form complete for structural hearth.

Comment

Structural Hearth pour day here luckily this time out of the back of my truck to get higher and not have to lift one bucket of concrete at a time. Still hard work to get the 80 lb bags up into the truck. I think we used 43 bags. Last time, I under calculated and had to send a neighbor to get more which was really scary, but this time, I estimated 42 and had a few extra.

Comment

Getting close to done with the hard part. Our foreman Khloe is watching.

Comment

Comment

Floor in herring bone on the ground traced out with template and ready to cut.

Comment

FB Board cut to go under oven floor and sealed in aluminum tape to keep dry during the build. Probably overkill, but I remember this next few weeks being pretty messy and wet so decided to play it safe and wrap the whole board in aluminum tape.

Comment

My dad came up with this formula for the IT tool. It's just a lazy Susan, door hinge, bracket and some extra wood. I need to protect the berrings as the last time I did this the mud kept getting in there and jamming it up. Dad said to use a tupperware lid of some kind to stay over the Lazy Susan so that sounds good.

Comment

IT Tool installed on the template and ready to go when we start getting to the mud.

Comment

Working...
                              X