No announcement yet.

42" Pompeii Oven in Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9 days is a good target for the drying fires. Take it very slow as Mike said. I always advise using the charcoal method for the first couple or so days. Adding the stucco will slow down the drying process somewhat. But, If your vents are installed correctly (I saw one on the lower section of your dome) you will have protection against the stucco cracking due to steam pressure imo. One of the david s tips is to place a clear plastic over the oven to test for steam/mositure escaping during the drying stage. So, place a clear plastic bag over your upper vent. If it fogs up there is still moisture that needs to be driven out before ramping up to the larger fires.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I have three 1/2" vents installed along the lower section of the dome (one on each side + one at the back) and a fourth at the top of the dome behind the chimney out of sight when facing the oven.
      I'll certainly try the plastic bag tip!

Happy New Year!
      My Build - 42" Pompei Oven

Comment

Sorry Wthwaites, I missed your addition of the venting pipes in your dome. As Gulf noted that should keep any steam pressure/escape from damaging the render. Glad to hear you're taking it very slow on the cure.

...and here's to a fabulous 2021
        Last edited by SableSprings; 01-01-2021, 09:22 AM.
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
          9 days is a good target for the drying fires. Take it very slow as Mike said. I always advise using the charcoal method for the first couple or so days. Adding the stucco will slow down the drying process somewhat. But, If your vents are installed correctly (I saw one on the lower section of your dome) you will have protection against the stucco cracking due to steam pressure imo. One of the david s tips is to place a clear plastic over the oven to test for steam/mositure escaping during the drying stage. So, place a clear plastic bag over your upper vent. If it fogs up there is still moisture that needs to be driven out before ramping up to the larger fires.
          What is the charcoal method for curing? The FB guide advised not to use coal in the oven, so I thought that using coal was not recommended.
          I do have access to lump charcoal (Logwood), so it can be done with ease. Can you provide some details on this method?

Comment

Read the curing thread.
            Start here
            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...curing#post833
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              Thank you!

Comment

Update:
                I put on the finishing coat of Stucco. Also added some color pigment to the mix but messed up at the end when evening out the shape over the chimney flue area.
                Trying to figure out how to fix that bit; I believe that applying an acrylic paint would be easiest instead of doing another stucco layer.

That aside, I believe that we are ready for cure fires! Do I have to wait a full week to start, or can I start earlier?

Aside from cure fires, my next step is to install a granite landing at the front. I figure I can install this during the curing stages (hopefully). If not, I will wait to install until after the cure fires...

Comment

....The FB guide advised not to use coal in the oven...
                  To my knowlede, this is Forno Bravo's latest statement about the use of coal in their oven's.
                  .....I do have access to lump charcoal (Logwood), so it can be done with ease. Can you provide some details on this method?
                  Do a search of the forum for "heat beads charcoal" Lots of examples and pics in the various threads as well as some explainations. But, basically, it is starting charcoal in a charcoal chimney starter outside the oven. Then placing the fully started coals in the oven. Heat, but no direct flame impingement on the dome. I used a blast (draft) door to help hold the heat in the oven while giving the charcoal just enough O2 to burn. I have found out since that placing the coals on a slightly elevated grate also helps. If you use a blast door and elevate the coals you should be able up to achieve day 3's temps from the schedule thatdavid s linked. That with no worries about a direct flame impingement on the dome. Note that lump charcoal burns a little hotter than charcoal briquettes. Also, it takes alot of charcoal to do this method.
                  Last edited by Gulf; 01-04-2021, 09:41 AM.
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thank you. Will do some more research and will most likely start off the cure fires this way . Can't wait!
                    Last edited by wthwaites; 01-05-2021, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Day 1 Cure Fire! - Using the charcoal method.
                      I can't find my infrared thermometer, but I believe i got it up to 200 F. I doubt it went any higher in temp...
                      Will try get up to 250 tomorrow!

Comment

Are you using paper to start the the charcoal inside the oven?

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                          Are you using paper to start the the charcoal inside the oven?
                          Newspaper - More for ohhhhs and ahhhhs

Yesterday - I started the charcoals outside and then shovel in when fully lit. I did put a few crumpled pages newspapers in but only a small amount (maybe 4) just to see some small flames.
                          Today - Same starting process but I also lit two pages of newspaper to start some leftover charcoals that died out inside the oven when I closed the door last night after getting to 200 F. Today I got to 265 F and then closed the door.
                          Last edited by wthwaites; 01-07-2021, 06:07 PM.

Comment

OK. Great start! If you don't have a blast (draft) door, you can place the door partially closed during the burn. That will give the charcoal enough O2 to burn while holding more heat in. That will bring the temps up even more for a 3rd or 4th day. It would be best to get a closing day temp about 30 minutes after you fully closed the door. But, you are doing just fine.imo.

Comment

Awesome, Thanks!

Comment

I'm at a 350o F Cure today, which was achieved. I may have gone a bit over but not by much. The thermometer installed in the door shows 350o F, but a oven thermometer i placed on a firebrick inside beside the charcoals showed 380o F. Either way, I closed the door and left it alone from there for it to cool down.
                                I did not see any cracks inside the cooking dome, but I noticed a few cracks at the top of the outer dome render where the chimney is installed. Its shown in the pic. I have all my steam vents open so there shouldn't be much pressure. Maybe I did not put enough render in this area? I assume that I can just do another render over the general cracked area after curing.
                                What do you think? Is this bad?

Comment

Working...
                                X