Entry Arch OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entry Arch OK?

Just wanted to check in to see if this is ok before I do the left side of the arch. My inner arch is 66% of the height.
    Attached Files

Close enough imo
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
      Close enough imo
      thanks! since I haven't mortared anything together yet, what could be improved?

Comment

From what I see, it looks pretty good. What I can't see, and don't know, is if your your inner arch placement is where it shoul be from the center of the dome? That may be covered in some of your other topics. It is best to have all of that information in 1 build thread as opposed to multiple topics. It makes it easier for us that have some experience to critique and much easier for new builders to follow.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

On second look, It looks like all your inner arch bricks are all the same cut. That shouldn't be, if the they were cut individually with the IT to fit the compound curve of the dome.

Comment

Your taper cuts look terrific from the front. Nice.

Hope the photo helps clarify Joe's remark...

Looks like you have an anchor string in there already? Using a string pulled tight and held between the bricks, the red star should be the inside radius of your dome, the yellow the outside radius of your dome.

Getting the arch done and covered will be a huge relief.

Your work looks quite nice!
            Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Originally posted by mongota View Post
              Your taper cuts look terrific from the front. Nice.

Looks like you have an anchor string in there already? Using a string pulled tight and held between the bricks, the red star should be the inside radius of your dome, the yellow the outside radius of your dome.

Your work looks quite nice!
              Thank you Gulf and Mongota! Using the string, I attempted to get the cuts to match the red and yellow stars but somehow the correct cuts slipped away from me and ended up being similar to one another. I think I'll touch up the cuts tomorrow so it best fits the compound curve of the dome. That shouldn't be too hard. Then will duplicate for the left side of the arch.

Will post back when I get things sorted!

Comment

made some adjustments and this was the end result! thanks guys! Gonna integrate arch and do a bunch of courses.
                Attached Files

Comment

How does it work out when also using the IT as a guage?. Do a search of the forum using the terms "inner arch placement" That should bring up some threads that may help explain what I am asking. JRPizza , UtahBeehiver, and others have explained this much better that can I. Here is a post with a pic that Russell shares a lot. It is a very good example of the appearance of a segmental arch such as yours.
                  Last edited by Gulf; 10-18-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

If you could take a pic from directly above and dead center of your dome, I might could use it to help explain at least some of the factors that goes into this concept. I promeise you, once this concept clicks, it wil be a "ureka" moment for you

Comment

How does it work out when also using the IT as a guage?. Do a search of the forum using the terms "inner arch placement" Tht should bring up some threadsthat may help explain what I am asking. JRPizza , UtahBeehiver, and others have explained this much better that can I. Here is a post with a pic that Russell shares a lot. It is a very good example of the appearance of a segmental arch such as yours.
                      Thanks for keeping in touch with this post.

When I swing the mason's twine along the edges of the bricks it matches across all the rear parts of the arch bricks. Some small adjustments could be made but not a tone. In comparison to the photo that you linked, the faces of my bricks are pretty small; I don't know if that matters.

That said, when I look at it... something doesn't seem quite right and I'm not sure whether that gut feeling has anything behind it.

Is it correct that courses 5 and 6 will intersect with the arch bricks? Because thats how my bricks are lined up.

Comment

If you could take a pic from directly above and dead center of your dome, I might could use it to help explain at least some of the factors that goes into this concept. I promeise you, once this concept clicks, it wil be a "ureka" moment for you
                        Ok sure thing - its dark outside now (I live in the furthest east city in Canada) but I'm definitely skipping off work for a bit tomorrow to work on it (priorities? haha)... I'll take some photos then and link to a video.

Mike

Comment

It's going to take the IT to make sure that all is lining up. The IT has the ID of your dome built into it. It is the best tool that can tell you where the compound curve of the dome will be in relation to your arch. The OD may not work out perfectly with the slope. You can fill that in. I like cutting the arch brick to fit the ID of the dome before attempting the slope.

EDIT: We were posting at the same time. I will wait on the pic.
                          Last edited by Gulf; 10-18-2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

See link to youtube video showing the string tracing the internal diameter is pretty close all around. Seeing the very last part of the video I'm not so sure that those cuts connecting the wall and the arch will do. So tricky to cut those and I rushed it TBH.

Click here---> https://youtu.be/26PuF0zINR4

Comment

It should work fine, Michael.

I agree with Joe regarding the IT. Because of how I made my IT, I could use it to lay out the cuts for those arch bricks. Some folks have ITs that are too bulky or non-maneuverable, they can be difficult to transfer lines from the IT to the bricks.

When you set those bricks, you'll use the IT. Your IT will set those bricks just like any other, the tapered face of each arch brick should be a plane in line with a line radiating from the center point of your dome floor.

Since the arch bricks are are all cut in advance, one thing to watch when you mortar them up is to make sure your mortar joints don't push the bricks from their intended spots. That you don't suffer mortar joint creep and your TDC brick ends up being at 1 o'clock or 11 o'clock on the arch template, instead of TDC at 12 o'clock. Keep track of your layout marks on the template and adjust as necessary.

Congrats on the progress. Getting the arch done is nice. Covering the arch with no droop will be even nicer!
                              Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Working...
                              X