Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100cm Pizza oven in Belgium

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jonas, living in Belgium. After reading and reading for months on this forum, I started designing the oven I want to build.
    Attached you can find 2 pictures after some trial and error in Sketchup.

My questions for now:
    • the concrete slab will be 25cm thick and the concrete table top below the dome will be 15cm thick. Any advice is this is too much or not is welcome.
    • Under the dome, I've foreseen an extra wall to support the whole construction (marked in red on the picture). Is this actually needed or not?
    I still have't decided if it will be a brick pizza oven or a precast. This will probably decide the concrete thickness. But for now, let's still consider both possibilities.

Some key dimensions can be found on the pictures, as a summary:
    - working height: 95cm
    - inner diameter dome: 100cm
    - outer diamater dome: 140cm (incl 10cm brick, 5cm insulation, 5cm outer layer)
    - height oven dome: 50cm
    - With arch = 55 - 75cm (incl bricks).
    - height arch = 35 - 45 cm (incl bricks)
    - depth arch = 22cm (not sure yet about this dimension, probably not enough for the flue)

The walls will be made out of hollow concrete blocks that I will fill with concrete and steel bars.

The table top on the left:
    - OR a concrete top that I will finish with something. I should be able to make the pizzas on this table, so should be easy to clean and flat.
    - OR I'll buy a table top from the store and mount it on the walls. Do I need to foresee extra support in the middle of the table? Or will this be strong enough? How thick should the table top be?

Any advice/feedback is more than welcome!

Regards,
    Jonas

Originally posted by jonasm View Post
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Jonas, living in Belgium. After reading and reading for months on this forum, I started designing the oven I want to build.
    Attached you can find 2 pictures after some trial and error in Sketchup.

My questions for now:
    • the concrete slab will be 25cm thick and the concrete table top below the dome will be 15cm thick. Any advice is this is too much or not is welcome.
    • Under the dome, I've foreseen an extra wall to support the whole construction (marked in red on the picture). Is this actually needed or not?
    I still have't decided if it will be a brick pizza oven or a precast. This will probably decide the concrete thickness. But for now, let's still consider both possibilities.

Some key dimensions can be found on the pictures, as a summary:
    - working height: 95cm
    - inner diameter dome: 100cm
    - outer diamater dome: 140cm (incl 10cm brick, 5cm insulation, 5cm outer layer)
    - height oven dome: 50cm
    - With arch = 55 - 75cm (incl bricks).
    - height arch = 35 - 45 cm (incl bricks)
    - depth arch = 22cm (not sure yet about this dimension, probably not enough for the flue)

The walls will be made out of hollow concrete blocks that I will fill with concrete and steel bars.

The table top on the left:
    - OR a concrete top that I will finish with something. I should be able to make the pizzas on this table, so should be easy to clean and flat.
    - OR I'll buy a table top from the store and mount it on the walls. Do I need to foresee extra support in the middle of the table? Or will this be strong enough? How thick should the table top be?

Any advice/feedback is more than welcome!

Regards,
    Jonas
    I like your drawings. A 150mm thick slab will be fine provided you have some reinforcing. I would suggest M12 to M16 bars @200mm c/c, in both directions, with an additional bar over the opening, with your reinforcing set at the lower third in the concrete. It would be good to tie your vertical reinforcing in the walls to the reinforcing in the top slab. The table top slab could be thinner, but in my experience it would simply be easier to cast the whole slab in the same thickness. In my design (see here) https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-oven-drawings I did include a central supporting wall but it was probably not necessary. But, my (rectangular) design meant that the central supporting wall provides a practical solution to not having wood storage spaces that are so deep that the wood at the rear cannot be easily reached.

Regards,
    Mark
    My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
    My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Hi Jonas - I built a 39" oven (very close to a meter ID) on a corner slab and have my drawings done in Freecad if you are interested in trying that program out (it's free). I found Sketchup to be good for making nice looking renditions but could not make the CAD type drawings I wanted. It might be possible with Sketchup but I found Freecad to be easier to work with as I had some drafting background.
      Based on what i built I think your arch should be about 31.5cm high, which with an internal dome height of 50 cm gives you an opening ratio of 63%. I'd also recommend a door width of about 49.5 cm.
      For a reality check take the forno bravo recommended dimensions for a 42" and 36" oven and convert to metric, then average them which will be a 39"/meter oven. You can see where I got my numbers.
      Last edited by JRPizza; 11-08-2020, 07:45 PM.
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Working...
      X